Importance of 12th man when fielding good teams.

niveky

Reaction score
I was going to post this as a reply on another thread but figured that it would be better to ost it in its own thread so the merits of arguments for the importance of the 12th man and the Seahawks homefield advantage can be openly discussed in relation to being able to fully utilize this advantage with more competitive teams. Here is data from the 2003-2007 seasons when the hawks had about the best continuous stretch in franchise history. I have the team record and the at home w/l record from each season as well.

finished 10-6
at home 8-0

finished 9-7
at home 5-3

finished 13-3
at home 8-0

finished 9-7
at home 5-3

finished 106
at home 7-1

total record at home through these years was 33-7.

Before any haters reply with bluster..with ignorance...really think about what that means.

40 games over 5 years at home. All good teams...most with some glaring deficiencies..and the one great year, the SB year. The one thing that ties them all together though is that through that stretch...there weren't many teams coming into the Hawks house and able to play their game. Visiting posters on here are so quick to diminish the affects of fielding such an exciting team have on a fanbase. sure the offense has some, in some fans' opinions, some very glaring holes and they are all gloom and doom..but by and large..this team has the Seahawks fanbase very energized.

By nature..if someone doesn't feel that what they are taking part in is going to have a good outcome..they will avoid it..or not be as supportive...there are many diehard fans that will stick through thick and thin..but in lean years...unfortunately it is easy to see the byproduct by which fielding a noncompetitive team has on said team's ability to count on a boost from their home crowd.

The flipside is..that if a fanbase is able to go all in for their team..feel that any week their team..by just outright dominating the other team, by grinding it out, or by just old fashion luck bestowed by the football gods....that their team could concievably win....that is a recipe for an extroardinary effort by the fans to support their team...especially for fans of the Seahawks...with the C-Link, and how it has a history of affecting other the other teams ability to compete...you can't discount it...you can't. I mean, I don't know of any other stadium that caused a siesmic disturbance during a game like there was when Beastmode cranked that 67 yard run to the house against the Saints a couple of seasons ago....that singular event should be enough to sway anyone....not even counting the highest false start count for opposing teams..that has even held up through mostly crappy seasons prior to Pete getting here.

nowadays only 1-2 games separate a 7-9 team from the playoffs, and making history his first year it was shown that even a 7-9 team could make the playoffs..anything can happen. the giants just squeeked in last year and won the whole shebang...this fanbase believes...sure there is sometimes a great deal of nailbiting going on and there are all kinds of detractors, but from what I have seen the last couple of years..even before the full arrival of the defense this year...by and large, they have been all in....until something happens to change that, the Seahawks homefield is going to be a nightmare for opposing teams.

OP
OP
niveky

niveky

Reaction score
thanks...I was just getting extremely irritated the last few days...while for the most part the pats fans that have been visiting have been pretty cool to deal with..it just keeps driving me crazy how easily they discount the advantage the Hawks have with the 12th man. Especially this early in the season and neck and neck with the other NFC West teams record wise and the NFC West as a whole up to this point showing dominance and not the normal NFC worst...its a very exciting time to be a Seahawks fan..its electric...and the 12th man has more hope than they have had in a long time I think..and it feels like it will be sustained..and until that is proven otherwise...fans are going to bring it in stadium every sunday home game.