I don't expect a repeat...

dsquid

Reaction score
The Hawks allowed Wilson to air it out last week. I suspect they did this both because they felt the need to keep up with Brady and the Pats, and the suspect secondary allowed for it.

This week, I expect a return to the knock down, drag out conservatism that we all know and love. :shock:

The Seahawks will try to keep it close and win it at the end. Things that could effect this plan are turnovers by either team (opportunity) or the score getting away from us.

Wilson has shown he's capable of quite a bit, but I have a hunch he'll be held back again.

nsport

Reaction score
The big benefit to the 49ers is they are at home and we are on the road. The leveling effect is that both teams played on Sunday with a lot of emotions for different reason (blowout and comeback). Add the drama of being a division game. Add the drama of "what's your deal??" and the fact the 9ers swept the Seahawks last year. Add the return of Edwards. I would not be surprised if the Hawks open it up. I would not be surprised if they locked it down. I think it depends on what SF does more than our specific game plan. Naturally the opportunity to re-establish Lynch will be a huge focus. But I think the confidence in Turbin, Baldwin, Miller, and Edwards has changed what we are able to convey to other teams. Maybe it's no longer a Lynch thing specifically. Honestly this game comes down to the OL if I have things gauged correctly. If we can be consistent in run blocking AND pass blocking, we do what we want, when we want. If we can't then we have to pare it down and try to do one really well. The fact is they don't throw to their WR's at all - so on D we have less to worry about. ST's scares me a bit.... drama!

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Whichever team wins the battle of special teams will win this game.

This game will also be all about field position as well.

Field goals will outnumber TDs.

I predict Hawks 16, SF 13.

CANHawk

Reaction score
They'll take whatever the 9'ers give them. If they put 8 or 9 in the box to try and shut down Marshawn, then we'll throw it. But if they don't adequately respect our ability to run, then Beast will run all over them.

This is the beauty of being dynamic.

Schadie001

Reaction score
One advantage that we have going in is that the Giants just thumped the niners on their own field. We have fresh tape of a Giants team that defiantely figured the niners out. Our D is better than the Giants on the front and back end and I believe that we have just as many weapons on offense as the Giants. They are nothing special just a solid team. Yes, Manning is a good QB, but Wilson has shown that he can put the team on his back and make plays as well. The Giants were also able to run against the niners and Smith is no Brady. I really like our chances this week.

Hawknight

Reaction score
We will take it to the Niners and we will win this game. The Niners can be beaten and on their own turf, our defense can stop them cold if they prevent them from pounding the ball Put the pressure on Alex Smith like the Giants didL…Lights out Niners.

OP
OP
dsquid

dsquid

Reaction score
I just don't think Wilson will be allowed to try the sorts of things he did last week with anything close to the same frequency. This is a different defense and offense we are going against.

And if the numbers aren't as eye-popping, you can be sure we will hear Flynn's name come up again.

I believe that will be misguided, as so much of what this QB is allowed to do is game-plan driven.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
dsquid":1hzvvojt said:
I just don't think Wilson will be allowed to try the sorts of things he did last week with anything close to the same frequency. This is a different defense and offense we are going against.

And if the numbers aren't as eye-popping, you can be sure we will hear Flynn's name come up again.

I believe that will be misguided, as so much of what this QB is allowed to do is game-plan driven.

And those people will deservedly be told to shut their foul mouths.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Schadie001":3slk8o3y said:
One advantage that we have going in is that the Giants just thumped the niners on their own field. We have fresh tape of a Giants team that defiantely figured the niners out. Our D is better than the Giants on the front and back end and I believe that we have just as many weapons on offense as the Giants. They are nothing special just a solid team. Yes, Manning is a good QB, but Wilson has shown that he can put the team on his back and make plays as well. The Giants were also able to run against the niners and Smith is no Brady. I really like our chances this week.

The game tape of how the Giants beat the 49'ers might be an advantage, but the big disadvantage is now the niners are super pissed off and will be hell bent on crushing the Hawks on national TV.

The Hawks and Niners are very evenly matched.......so IMO like last year's two games, this game will come down to turnovers and special teams plays. Leon's due to bust one to the house.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Listening to Pete's comments on the Patriots game, I expect him to open the play book a little more (even if it's the smallest amount). I think he's tired of baby sitting the rook and is ready to let him wear the big boy pants. On 710 it sounded like he's open to more explosive plays down field.

SUPER excited to see how the rest of the year turns out if what he says holds true.

Besides, it's against SF on Thursday night...I don't expect anything less than the 'hawks defense smashing fools, shutting the media up, and putting the rest of the league on notice.

Go Hawks.

12thMan1

Reaction score
dsquid":33wmhgt3 said:

I don't see the passing game being nearly as prolific as it was against NE. But you can't go one dimensional against SF. The Giants beat them with defense and a balanced dose of run/pass. We have the run with Lynch and Turbin in the backfield. Combine that with Wilson and our recievers and we most certainly have a chance. Smith threw three picks last week against a decent defense which puts our defense (whom is much better IMO) in a great/confident position.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Niners special teams has been sucky this season, Washington should get some chances in the punt return game. Also, the niners D-line has been banged up but still, I know they are going to want to win this game bad so it's going to take maximum effort to win. I feel good about our defense, Davis is the big one, stop him and force passes to the short arm WR's going up against Browner and Chancellor.

sutz

Reaction score
So far this year, the playbook, and Russell's part in the game plan has expanded each week. I don't see why that would change.

:229031_shrug:

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
sutz":3cn4ibou said:
So far this year, the playbook, and Russell's part in the game plan has expanded each week. I don't see why that would change.

This is what I was thinking. I do believe PC will want to bring out something we haven't seen yet either.

The Niners D at home.. Hmmm.. THe thing about Wilson is that he seems to have a few questionable plays, then he redeems himself with a big one. I think it is imperative that Wilson not let those few questionable throws end up in the Niners' hands., that the penalties stay low on both offense and defense and that the D get a pick or two, taking one to the house. No easy short fields for SF.

Last year, both games were within reach, the home game we lost on an unlikely pass to Crabtree on a third and long with little time left. The game in SF, two unlikely returns killed us and turned a win into a blowout loss in under two minutes.

That was with TJack, Wilson is the anti-TJack in that those last chance drives are not automatic failures. Wilson has somehow managed to handle those situations well.

PC is sure to add a little to Russell's play on Thursday, as Sutz said, it looks as if every week there is more and more. There just might be something that PC brings out special for SF.

One other note, having played aggressive pass rushing defenses in AZ and GB to start the season could have only helped with SF. They are certain to attack Wilson and his rookiness. Don't be surprised if there are more QB runs by design that pick up big yardage. I also want RW to do whatever he can to stay away from PWilly. That guy is a Seahawk defender in Niner clothing that could easily give all the fans calling for Flynn their wish. His contact with a running Wilson creates a small sense of fear in me. Actually a big one.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Word I'm hearing is SF's left tackle Joe Stayley may be out for the game with a concussion. That is going to be a huge factor into how this plays out. He has to pass the leagues concussion tests if he is to play this week. With only 4 days since it was sustained...I don't think it's looking good for the Niners, but great for Seattle. I actually feel bad for Alex Smith if he can't go.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
sutz":3usm4q28 said:

That's not what Pete was indicating in his interview with Brock and Salk. Pete said that how much he opens up the offense is driven by who the opponent is. In the case of the Patriots, Pete said he felt he couldn't afford to be conservative because of how prolific their O is...and he saw opportunities against their secondary. He also said to not be suprised if you see them get more conservative again if the opponent dictates that. I agree with the OP, but I guess we'll see for sure as the games are played. 8)

Kelly.Orr

Reaction score
To beat good defenses that can stop the run you have to be able to throw conisistently. I really don't expect Marshawn to have a big game but i do expect them to pound him 20-25 times to get to 3rd and 5 - 3rd and 6 range. As far as our defense i think even as good as it was last year. This year is just different. This is the best defense i have ever seen us field period the end. Granted i am only 24 but still. I just hope our boys get some rest for their legs after what 81 offensive plays by the pats? or was it like 85? Anyways i think we outmatch the 49ers at every position but O line and i would call LBs a draw. They have a lot of First round talent on their O line but i still don't think ours is too bad except for Giacomini and McQuistan at RG. This game is gonna put a lot of stress on our O. That is what it will come down to i think.

olyfan63

Reaction score
49ers have key O-Line injuries, the all-important Left Tackle as mentioned above, and possibly more. On their fan forums they are worried to death about Seattle's pass rush pulverizing Alex Smith.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Harbaugh is quite the schemer and he knows us well. Once he finds a weakness, he attacks it repeatedly. In our last game against him, he used speed on the outside to attack the big boy side of our run D's DL when we sent in the 3 DTs plus Clemons. I hope we have an answer this time because that was pretty aggrivating to watch...over and over!

If we are able to rattle Alex Smith, that will definitely work in our favor. They'll probably go with extra blockers and hit the short, quick stuff with V. Davis, so sacks will probably be hard to come by (especially after the schooling they got from NY). That approach should be money for them between the 20yd lines. Seeing what would happen if we sprung Walter Thurmond on them in the slot (had he been ready to play) would have been interesting.

They will try to play a stingy game with us. Hopefully we find a way to hang some points on them then really get after Smith.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":a75cz89u said:
Schadie001":a75cz89u said:

The game tape of how the Giants beat the 49'ers might be an advantage, but the big disadvantage is now the niners are super pissed off and will be hell bent on crushing the Hawks on national TV.

The Hawks and Niners are very evenly matched.......so IMO like last year's two games, this game will come down to turnovers and special teams plays. Leon's due to bust one to the house.

The good thing for us is the Seahawks don't need to get their asses kicked at their own home to play this way. The D brings it every week.