Two Questions

LengthMustBe

Reaction score
To the posters on here who know more about the rules of the game than I do:

1. Was the 49ers touchdown actually a touchdown? IIRC, it was the original ruling on the field was overturned.

2. On the Browner interception, was he required to run it out? If he was tackled in the endzone, the Seahawks would've had the ball at their own 20 yard line, correct? The only reason I ask is because it gave 49ers better field position following the punt, which led to the FG (meaning the Seahawks could only tie with a TD, not win).

Thanks!

Happybelly

Reaction score
Yes, it was clearly a touchdown.

No, Browner made a great play, but a bad decision running it out. He should have taken the touchback.

aku

Reaction score
1. The ruling on the field was officially a touchdown, which was decided after some consultation. That's not the same thing as a review. I don't remember seeing a review, but they had to have done one in the booth at least because it was a scoring play. I believe that getting his foot in the endzone constitutes a touchdown, and it looked like the ball crossed over the pylon anyways which would have counted.

2. No, he didn't have to run it out. It was a bit of a dumb play on his part, he probably just got excited. After he left the endzone the first time, though, he did need to run it out. He just about gave me a heart attack trying to take it back in.

largenutz

Reaction score
BROWNERS int, made this a game, had the hawks given up another td, it was over. I was so stoked when he made the pick, it gave the Hawks a chance, kept it close.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I'm going to get killed here but I respectfully disagree with the consensus that Baldwin made a mistake running it out. I think he made a mistake running it out, running it back in, then running it out again

BUT.......

I think with a defensive pick, you always run it out. The reward is worth the risk. The risk is probably 10-15 yards of field position, the reward is catching a confused offense off guard and having a long return or a pick six. Once the pick occurs the offense becomes the defense, a position they are not accustomed to and they are very likely out of position to make the play. I have seen a ton of pick sixes where I wonder how the hell the ball carrier made it through unscathed. If they can get away from the receiver that they were defending, they have a big, slow OLine to make it past (many times the other fast WR's are on the opposite side) and a QB. I say bring it out.

Latest posts