Hawks vs. Falcons

HawkSouth

Reaction score
I am a diehard Seahawk fan - born and raised in Seattle, had season tickets with my dad since the Rick Mirer era until I moved away after graduating from UW. I now live in Athens, GA - I'm here for law school - and I am surrounded by Falcons fans who don't take our Seahawks seriously.

My question is: how do you think our 'Hawks match up with the Falcons? I'm not afraid of them personally. Their defense is soft and their offense can be contained (as evidenced by the Cardinals' performance against them in ATL a couple weeks ago.)

Thoughts? How do y'all think we match up against the Falcons? Potential playoff opponent, yes? (I just finished finals and am super hammered so sorry if this post isn't incredibly well organized/thought-out.)

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I think we'd beat the hell out of them. I think they're soft and we're the opposite of soft.

morgulon1

Reaction score
They are a paper tiger. Soft. It's funny that you say the fans down there don't pay much attention to our beloved Seahawks. I don't pay much attention to the Falcons. They aren't built for January playoff football and we appear to be hitting our stride at just the right time.

That is all. Enjoy your buzz and congratulations on your finals!!

OP
OP
H

HawkSouth

Reaction score
I think you guys both make valid points. BUT - I've had a chance to watch all the Falcons' games, and as excited as I am about our boys I have to admit I'd be a little concerned about our chances against the Falcons on the road.

I will try to briefly explain my concern. Matt Ryan is the real deal (even though he hasn't proven **** in the playoffs...). Roddy White and Julio Jones are both extremely talented. I think we could neutralize those two (even if Sherm is suspended for the playoffs), but what really concerns me is the fact that they also have Harry Douglas (speedy slot receiver) and Tony Gonzalez (aging but still a huge factor, particularly on 3rd down... shudder.... and in the red zone). Michael Turner doesn't have half the talent of our Beast, but he's good enough to keep defenses honest.

This concern is probably solely borne out of intoxication and inundation with Falcons propaganda. But I do legitimately wonder if we'd have trouble stopping them, particularly on the road. The Falcon's oline isn't all-world, but I worry that if we couldn't get pressure on Ryan with our front 4 we might get carved up. (This is all caveated by the fact that I think we could put some serious points up against them, even on the road.) Anyway..... does my further explanation of my fears give anyone else pause!?!?!?

Morgulon - thanks for the kind words, my relief knows no bounds ;)

sturg78

Reaction score
Falcons win from generally having good play calling from what I have seen. A good mixture of run pass that keeps the defense guessing and makes players think more then react. I think our D matches up well enough to make the offense sputter minus the x-factor of Jaquizz. Shifty backs like that in the screen and dump off passing game seem to tear us up. If we could get a little pressure and start thumping some of their players, I think things would break down for the Falcons.

On offense, the Seahawks would wear their D down and probably put up 20 something. The Atl D plays mistake free but I don't see anyone on the D that would outmatch the O. Marshawn would dink, dunk, and thump 4-5 ypc and Russ would sustain drives. I would say the 4th quarter will be the quarter where one of the defenses break and given the playoff history of Ryan and ATL, I would be comfortable putting money on the Hawks taking it 24-17.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Not scared at all of the Falcons

The only team now that scares me is Green Bay in Lambaeu in January.

That's it.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It's actually a very good matchup for us given that Sherman plays. Better both Sherm and Browner play because that plays right into our hands with their bigger WRs even though WT3 played really well. Gonzales will be a pain, but Kam and the LBs will do a decent job on him. Not too worries about their run game. On offense I think we can run through them and give Wilson a fairly easy day while not having to throw the ball maybe even 20 times.

Probably a 24-14 game. Hawks.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The Seahawks almost beat that team with Tarvaris Jackson at QB, I have absolutely no fear of that team with Russell Wilson at the helm of the Seahawks now.

ErikG803

Reaction score
You don't luck into being the #1 seed so they're obviously quite good. That being said, I don't know there's a team currently in or on the outskirts of the NFC playoff picture I'd rather play right now except maybe Chicago and Dallas.

acbass

Reaction score
You are in Athens? I live like an hour up the road in Greenwood, SC. Great to know there is someone close by on this board.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I live in Columbus, GA and they get a ton of respect here when I mention Im a Hawks fan. Always repping my Seahawks gear when Im out and about and people always comment on it.

Rainger

Reaction score
Atlanta has only played 2 teams with winning records and both at home.

They got to play Denver when PM was still getting use to the team and them to he. Im addition Atlanta has not played a single team that currently are one of the 12 playoff teams.

What does that tell you. EASY SCHEDULE!.

I think the Hawks would be able to take them even in their home.

mikeak

Reaction score
Atlanta is a great team. They may have a weak schedule but it isn't like they would go out and loose against teams like the Panthers........oh wait......

"an hour up the road" - in Atlanta area that would be what 5 miles? :)

I heard Atlanta traffic is so bad that some people can't back out of their drive-way :)

I lived there for 4 months (perimeter mall area) before I asked my company to get me TFO so I feel I can rip on Atlanta.........

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The Falcons are like the Hawks in their best years of the last decade under Holmgren...

They put up points and win games, but a tough team can beat them into submission. I think we would frustrate them and wear them down.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I think had we met in the early part of the season, Atlanta would have taken the game quite easily. At this point in the season? I think Seattle is playing better. And that's as much about the Seahawks as it is the Falcons. The Falcons seem to be slipping from their perch a bit, playing more not to lose than to win. I've seen their running game slipping and not being as deadly as it once was, and Matt Ryan seems to be making the same slide in recent weeks that Philip Rivers has made and is making poor decisions for his receivers. Anyway, that being said, it would be a 50-50 chance for both teams in Atlanta, and better towards the 'Hawks here in Seattle.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Our secondary (crosses fingers on Sherman) matches up with the Falcon's strength. The Falcons offensive linemen are a bit soft, IMO, and the real threat to us from the backfield is Rogers. That little dude is versatile. I think we could minimize, if not take away completely, Gonzalez.

The real change for them this year is that Nolan defense. This is not the same smallish tampon-2 that would get shredded in the playoffs, especially the secondary. they bait quarterbacks in the 10 to 20 yard area as good as anyone, and their safeties are good. I think a determined team can get them passing in the flats, short middle, and sidelines, and controlling the middle would be mandatory against the linebackers. Nolan likes to bring it, so I could see taking advantage of those hot reads. I try not to read too much into how they struggle with Newton, but our read option could work against their straight up D, like it did against Chicago.

I really like what a steady diet of Lynch and Turbin could do against them, though.

So, no, not the scariest match up.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Until the Falcons prove they can win in the playoffs, I'm not scared. Not scared of GB in GB, either. (Rodgers is playing terribly again.) No, it's the Giants and 49ers who worry me.

Edit to add: The Falcons also peaked too early, much like GB last year.

hawker84

Reaction score
i look at the falcons like i looked at the texans... overrated.. GB, SF, Giants are the real threats..

now having said that, ryan is a good solid QB, and they have two very good recievers.. with our db's in we win, with them out, we lose... turner is like a bowling ball in the back field, but we do welll against big backs that don't cut and make people miss, so we have the advantage their.... he's no gore or AP...

from what i've seen there defense has holes, i think with the way our offense has been clicking, we can take advantage of that and move the ball, our red zone O has been excellent lately, so we would score some points.

to summarize, our full team against their full team, ( meaining all key personell in ) we win at home.. on the road, i give it a 50/50 chance...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3o30zxgs said:
Until the Falcons prove they can win in the playoffs, I'm not scared. Not scared of GB in GB, either. (Rodgers is playing terribly again.) No, it's the Giants and 49ers who worry me.

I don't think about what the Falcons did last year at all. They have a good team and home field advantage and create some matchup problems.

But yes, this year the Giants and Niners (and Packers, now that they are discovering their run game) are all worse matchups.