XFL vs NCAA

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Right now i think LSU, Ohio St, Bama, Clemson could take most the XFL teams. I think most XFL teams would beat UW, WSU, Ore St, Boise St, Cal, and many other Cal and SW schools

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I don't know about that. The argument was always: Could the best college team beat the worst NFL team? And the answer is a resounding NO. It would be a complete destruction of the college team. Dave Wyman and Dori were talking about this exact thing last week, and these XFL players are older, more experienced, and were still the second tier of the cream of the crop coming out of college. Plus, a lot of these guys have NFL experience. So, I think the worst XFL team would still beat the best college team, just not as bad as the worst NFL team.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Some of the XFL players were top of their NCAA teams. What I think would hold an XFL team back right now is the experience together. A program like Ohio St or Alabama has a lot more continuity and has had much more time together.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Remember that approximately 10% of players on the very best college programs will be drafted or signed as UDFAs. Mostt XFL players spent time with NFL teams, and those who didn't were still middle of the road college players. So overall XFL teams are more talented.

The 2 things that would work in a college teams favor would be.

1. Star players on the top programs, especially programs with top QBs.

2. Coaching. The top college programs have better coaching staffs and more experience as a team than the XFL teams.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Went to the Dragons vs. Dallas Renegades game Saturday. The QB play felt so limited at this point in the season. Certainly many college games are more FUN to watch than some of the XFL games, based on the limited sample size.

ex-WSU Cougars coach Mike Leach's Air Raid offense would tear a new one through the XFL right now, IMO. Maybe that's just wishful thinking based on how boring and sluggish the Dragons offense was, especially in the second half.
How long Air Raid success would last until defenses adjusted, well, I suppose that's an open question the NFL will be seeking to answer as well.

Oh, wait a minute. Air Raid inventor Hal Mumme is Dallas's Offensive Coordinator! Well, they tore the Dragons a new one in that 2nd half, though watching it, I had no idea they were running any sort of Air Raid, because it was their running game that softened up and destroyed the otherwise tough Dragons D in the 2nd half.

Mike Leach's WSU version of the Air Raid is certainly more fun to watch than what I saw of Mumme's Dallas version, but it's early. Zorn's Dragons offense, as it stands now, is pretty much unwatchable.

I'd have to guess that the top college programs, the LSU's, Alabamas, and Clemsons and such, would probably beat most of the XFL teams, mainly on having a more coherent scheme and philosophy that players execute better. The athleticism edge might go to the college boys as well, for the teams that are going to have multiple NFL draft picks on each side of the ball. I'd agree the XFL teams would beat college teams below the CFBP level. As someone else pointed out, the top college teams have players with multiple years of experience and continuity in the offensive and defensive schemes they run.

The Gardner Minshew 2018 WSU Cougars would beat the Dragons 50-something to 30-something, but would lose to the Dallas Renegades 40-something to to 50-something. The Josh Gordon 2019 WSU Cougars would lose to both teams, 20-something to 30-something to the Dragons, and 30-something to 50-something, to Dallas.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
BlueThunder":npfszt0t said:
I don't know about that. The argument was always: Could the best college team beat the worst NFL team? And the answer is a resounding NO.

Anybody who says that is delusional. The defense on the 0-16 Lions would have shut down the best college offense. They could just have lined up and run the ball with some play action and it would be easy. The "best college team" is going to lose every snap in the trenches by a lot, and everything is going to collapse constantly.

Even when you watch the best college team, it still has a bunch of players who aren't that good. College games are just a few excellent players playing on the field in a sea of mediocrity. These guys stand out over everybody else. In the NFL even those bench guys are top level college players that made the other guys on the field look like crap. The Lions at least had that for starters when they couldn't win a game.

There were a bunch of people thought that Brian Scalabrine sucked so bad they could be him one-on-one. He was a marginal role player in the NBA, but when he was matched up with all these amateur athletes he destroyed them playing at half speed.

NFL players are elite athletes. College rosters are filled with dudes who are are good to excellent athletes. The elite ones with their heads in the right place are the ones that make it in the NFL and stick around.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
BIG difference between NFL and XFL. Also big difference between NCAA and XFL in general.
But remember that Olympic hockey game between USA and Russia? Same difference, but the college kids won that one.
College teams often have something "it's a business" team don't, so there's a chance the "it" factor can come up with a miracle.

Latest posts