Fire Zorn!!

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He couldn't hack it in Washington.He wasn't a very good QB..
I don't know how he even got anywhere after his mediocre NFL days.
I'm hard on him but I saw enough a long time ago.

chris98251

Reaction score
He has a slow hook, being a former QB and having Knox pull him in favor of Krieg is probably a deep wound.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
I was surprised to see him go for a 4th down today. He doesn't seem to understand the XFL rule changes, like touchbacks going to the 35. Last week he went for 2 to go up 5 points which makes no sense, either take the easier 1 point conversion so the opponent can't tie with a FG, or go for 3 so a TD only ties and they have to convert the extra point for a lead. Going for 2 provides no advantage over going for 1 in that situation.

cymatica

Reaction score
He is singlehandedly ruining the XFL for me by keeping Silvers in. Zero touch on his passes and consistently makes bad decisions. At least put BJ in to see what he can do, if he doesn't work out at least you tried.

John63

Reaction score
So Zorn just screwed that whole series up with his in ability to get the play in

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
John63":8m2186he said:
So Zorn just screwed that whole series up with his in ability to get the play in
Yep.
Love the guy as a player, seems overwhelmed as a head coach. Hopefully he improves and proves us all wrong.
I think if they stick with Daniels as the QB, his coaching will improve, how much? That remains to be seen.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Daniels at QB already made him a much better coach.
No idea why he stuck with Stiff-ers, er, Silvers as long as he did.

Zorn actually did have some good seasons as an NFL QB coach. My take is that he would do better to have an OC call the actual plays in-game, while Zorn focuses more on QB coaching, which he is actually good at, even at the NFL level. Matt Hasselbeck and Joe Flacco would both endorse him on that. Too bad Zorn didn't get time with Andy Reid in KC to learn his system.

Zorn is pushing 70, I guess. Right there with Pete Carroll.

DJrmb

Reaction score
olyfan63":qavf8ump said:
Daniels at QB already made him a much better coach.
No idea why he stuck with Stiff-ers, er, Silvers as long as he did.

Zorn actually did have some good seasons as an NFL QB coach. My take is that he would do better to have an OC call the actual plays in-game, while Zorn focuses more on QB coaching, which he is actually good at, even at the NFL level. Matt Hasselbeck and Joe Flacco would both endorse him on that. Too bad Zorn didn't get time with Andy Reid in KC to learn his system.

Zorn is pushing 70, I guess. Right there with Pete Carroll.

Yeah, that was actually the plan to begin with. Mike Riley is the OC and was originally supposed to call the plays. However, due to family issues he has been at home with his wife and Zorn was thrust into playcalling, according to Brock Huard on the radio.

olyfan63

Reaction score
DJrmb":166d987j said:
olyfan63":166d987j said:
(snipped) Zorn actually did have some good seasons as an NFL QB coach. My take is that he would do better to have an OC call the actual plays in-game, while Zorn focuses more on QB coaching, which he is actually good at, even at the NFL level.

Yeah, that was actually the plan to begin with. Mike Riley is the OC and was originally supposed to call the plays. However, due to family issues he has been at home with his wife and Zorn was thrust into playcalling, according to Brock Huard on the radio.

Wow, thanks for the info! I was just randomly musing, because as a coach myself (round "football" and basketball) I know what a 3-ring circus it can be to manage all the things trying to happen at once in a game; substitutions, tracking matchups and opportunities, plugging leaks, and general game plan observation and adjustment. I can't imagine one mind and one attention span trying to manage the chaos that is a pro football game in terms of tracking everything, personnel groupings, injuries, seeing matchups and trends, and making play calls. It's a bloody freaking miracle that anything resembling organized football occurs at all!

That makes total sense, and if Mike Riley was available, I'm sure our offense would suck a little less, just from the ability to focus and bring a little creativity. It can be easy to get into a mental rut in the heat of everything. I often find myself thinking, on 3rd-and-whatever, "I just have to trust that the OC has thought of a good playcall for this situation, it's his job, so if he's good at it, there's hope!" Of course, the players also have to execute well. So there's that.

The Dragons 3rd downs prior to BJ Daniels have been pretty abysmal.
Crossing my fingers for improvement this week.

Also, I just like Zorn. He is a good dude. I like to see good guys succeed. He did have some good moments as an NFL Head coach, just not enough of them. I'm hoping he'll pick up some of Pete Carroll's gifts that lead to success.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
olyfan63":e4ke9pm4 said:
DJrmb":e4ke9pm4 said:
olyfan63":e4ke9pm4 said:
(snipped) Zorn actually did have some good seasons as an NFL QB coach. My take is that he would do better to have an OC call the actual plays in-game, while Zorn focuses more on QB coaching, which he is actually good at, even at the NFL level.

Wow, thanks for the info! I was just randomly musing, because as a coach myself (round "football" and basketball) I know what a 3-ring circus it can be to manage all the things trying to happen at once in a game; substitutions, tracking matchups and opportunities, plugging leaks, and general game plan observation and adjustment. I can't imagine one mind and one attention span trying to manage the chaos that is a pro football game in terms of tracking everything, personnel groupings, injuries, seeing matchups and trends, and making play calls. It's a bloody freaking miracle that anything resembling organized football occurs at all!

That makes total sense, and if Mike Riley was available, I'm sure our offense would suck a little less, just from the ability to focus and bring a little creativity. It can be easy to get into a mental rut in the heat of everything. I often find myself thinking, on 3rd-and-whatever, "I just have to trust that the OC has thought of a good playcall for this situation, it's his job, so if he's good at it, there's hope!" Of course, the players also have to execute well. So there's that.

The Dragons 3rd downs prior to BJ Daniels have been pretty abysmal.
Crossing my fingers for improvement this week.

Also, I just like Zorn. He is a good dude. I like to see good guys succeed. He did have some good moments as an NFL Head coach, just not enough of them. I'm hoping he'll pick up some of Pete Carroll's gifts that lead to success.
Lou Holtz had some good moments too when he coached the Jets.
Jim Zorn as a QB and a coach has been lucky to do either and it probaly
is because he's likeable but that doesn't win a lot of games.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Zorn was a marginal NFL QB, so I was surprised that he was actually a damn good QB coach at the NFL level.

I remember the game when Krieg got subbed in for Zorn in the second half, down 21-0, at Pittsburgh, I was in high school, watching on my family's 13 inch color TV in rural Montana. When Krieg came in it was night and day, Krieg threw on time and on target, receivers caught them, and the Seahawks drove and the Seahawks scored. Krieg almost brought them all the way back, finally losing 27-21.

Loved what Zorn the coach did against Houston, going to the up-tempo offense, and on one series, seeing the Houston defenders gassed and not pass-rushing nearly so hard, that was beautiful to see. Of course, if you are going up-tempo and go 3 and out, that's bad.

Still, the Dragons were at least entertaining last game. So I'll give Zorn credit for that. For deciding to go down swinging for the knockout. Looks like Houston is the class of the league.