Welp, XFL cancels rest of season.

BlueThunder

Reaction score
They use the word "Suspended", but it's cancelled. They have a 3 year commitment, so they will be back for the 2021 season. This whole virus crap sucks. Check out ESPN.com. Like every story is cancellation or postponement of every sporting event from every league from college to the pro's. It's crazy! WTF is ESPN even gonna do? That's ALL they do! And every sports media outlet... :cry: Yeah, thanks China, for your endless stream of plagues... :evil:

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020 ... -pandemic/

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Well north America should of closed the borders...they knew this would happen. Lots of sports articles think the xfl is done and wont sure I've. Too bad it was kind of getting better.

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2z8yznnt said:
Well north America should of closed the borders...they knew this would happen. Lots of sports articles think the xfl is done and wont sure I've. Too bad it was kind of getting better.

Like I said, they have a 3 year commitment, so the league will give it another shot next year. The league has big money in the background, so I'd be surprised if it actually folded. We'll see I guess. So, do the Roughnecks get a trophy or something?

BTW Cyrus, I'm thinking your voice-to-chat turned "Survive" into "sure I've". :lol:

Cyrus12

Reaction score
BlueThunder":1chesf7y said:
Cyrus12":1chesf7y said:

BTW Cyrus, I'm thinking your voice-to-chat turned "Survive" into "sure I've". :lol:

Yep...covid kicking in...

Cyrus12

Reaction score
BlueThunder":f8vzv904 said:
Players are getting their full salaries too, which is cool.
Well that's good...this really sucks for them I'm sure. Not like they were going to get rich.

MrThortan

Reaction score
That news really bummed me out. I really wanted them to finish the season. Personally, I was really enjoying the games. I have a friend who bought a bunch of DC gear and went to an event. He said it was the best sports event he had ever been to. Hopefully they will come out even stronger next season.

AirStrike

Reaction score
MrThortan":2eq4c2lh said:
That news really bummed me out. I really wanted them to finish the season. Personally, I was really enjoying the games. I have a friend who bought a bunch of DC gear and went to an event. He said it was the best sports event he had ever been to. Hopefully they will come out even stronger next season.

It was decent football that helped fill the void. The league was starting to carve out
it’s hardcore fan base and could have began to build off of that. Sadly they’re gonna have to start from scratch again next year and I don’t think five weeks was enough to reel everyone in.

sutz

Reaction score
It's really hard to pull off spring football. Too much competition for fans/viewers from the other sports.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":1fqq0w7f said:
It's really hard to pull off spring football. Too much competition for fans/viewers from the other sports.
It was working here and a few other cities.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Florio is saying that NFL directed all clubs not to even talk to XFL players once XFL made it publicly clear they were releasing them from contracts to sign with NFL.

When the XFL suspended operations last week, it authorized players to sign with NFL teams. The NFL, however, has told its teams not to do that.

A memo distributed to all NFL teams on Tuesday, a copy of which PFT obtained, explains that teams were notified on March 12 “that they were not permitted to discuss possible employment with players under contract to the XFL,” and that this “prohibition remains in effect.” The memo also explains that the NFL currently is working with the XFL to finalize procedures to permit NFL teams to sign XFL players.

The XFL’s position is that its players will be released from their contracts if a “credible contractual offer” is made by an NFL or CFL team, and if the offer is submitted to the XFL. Obviously, that’s not good enough for the NFL to give its teams the green light to sign players like Houston Roughnecks quarterback P.J. Walker (pictured) or other XFL standouts from a five-week season that ended amid the many sports cancellations prompted by the COVID-19 outbreak.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... l-players/

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I was really looking forward to the playoffs.

It would have been amazing.

I enjoyed watching the Dragons games, even though we only won 1. But the football was much higher quality than I expected.

And the whole backstory of players that are still shooting for their dream, or were disregarded, or just caught up in crappy NCAA rules that prevented them from getting a chance....that is was worth watching too. Loved it. Almost everything about it, especially the fact I got football in Spring.

Hopefully, it all continues when this all blows over.