49ers trading up to #3 pick with Dolphins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvin49

Reaction score
OK...so thins isn't pointed at anyone in this thread. I just kinda feel like I gotta get this off my chest...

...just like in politics, the field of Sports Journalism has gone in the krapper. In a big way.

Why? 24 hour news, Twitter, and SOOOO many more people trying to make a name for themselves. This situation with the Niners at 3 and Mac Jones, Justin Fields, etc is a great illustration of it, but it is hardly the only example.

For the purposes of this post tho, that's the example I'm going to use.

To start, I have no idea who the Niners are going to pick. My head tells me Justin Field or Trey Lance, but it could very well be Mac Jones. That isn't the point though. Its the cycle. I'll illustrate now. This isn't an exact timeline but just an example.

Day 1) 49ers make trade for third pick. The next day they are at Mac Jones SECOND Pro Day. Media immediately assumes that Kyle ONLY like slow, immobile, pocket passers despite the fact that his father won with Steve Young and John Elway. Media misses the fact that Adam Peters and MIKE Shanahan attended Mac Jones FIRST Pro Day.

Day 2) In a press conference, Kyle explains that he didn't want to go out to pro days because it would tip their hand. He also confirms that they will be going to Mac Jones second Pro Day that's on the same day as Justin Fields FIRST pro day. He also says that is because Justin Fields agent, whom Kyle mentions BY NAME, told them that Justin would have a second Pro Day. Who is at Justin Fields FIRST pro day? Adam Peters and MIKE Shanahan. Ya see that. Its very easily explained...Mac won't have a second workout for Kyle to see. Justin will. That's why he went to see Mac.

Day 3) Media spinning like crazy. People now "will be shocked" if Mac Jones isn't the pick. Kyle isn't talking, the 49ers don't leak, but there are several people now who "will be shocked" if Mac isn't the pick.

Day 4) Now the media turns. Why is Mac Jones the pick at 3? What's wrong with Justin Fields. "Is this the classic black QB issue?". "How in the world does Mac Jones surpass Fields?".

Day 5) Justin Fields now falls to the 5th QB in mock drafts and now every show is about "why is Fields falling? This is a great injustice".

Day 6) Word comes out from local beat writer who says that Fields will have a pro day on the 14th and that the 49ers will attend. He says this based on the interview way back on Day 2, but the National Media jumps all over it as if something has now shifted. ooooooooo...intrigue. Sigh.

Day 7) The same people who said they "would be shocked" id Mac Jones isn't the pick NOW says "well the 49ers "have an open mind". Another says "Its probably 50% Jones and 50% someone else".

Day 8) Now the media story is that the 49ers might no know who they want and that they might be confused. After all, they wanted Mac and now they aren't so sure. We know that, right? We've been hearing that for days. Something has changed. Lets have a segment on ESPN to discuss it.

Its exhausting.

Mac Jones might be the pick. I don't think so, but its certainly possible. What drives me crazy is the media echo chamber that creates, recycles, passes as fact, then switches and is never held accountable for the HOURS they spend in the media discussing matters that are NEVER a matter of fact.

I'm listening to local radio yesterday and there is a guy on that I can't stand, Jim Kozimor, saying on the radio that the 49ers are a leaky ship, leaking like crazy, believes every rumor, thinks the 49ers are infighting over the pick...ALL based on media speculation.

If you read ANYONE who ACTUALLY covers the 49ers, they will tell you THEY AREN'T LEAKING. Its ALL speculation.

That's my issue...people taking rumor as fact and then running with and building on it when there is no foundation to the rumor to begin with. Its how you fill a 24 hours sports new program, fill air time on the radio, and get hits on your twitter feed.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fade":63fpq56j said:
Marvin49":63fpq56j said:
Oh....I’m about 99% convinced the Niners are leaking Mac Jones with no intent on taking him. My guess is the really want Lance or Fields and do t want someone jumping in front of them to take that player.

I think in the end the Jets take Wilson at 2. If you put a gun to my head my guess would e Niners take Lance.

As for Jimmy, I honestly believe they won’t settle for a 2. It’s not because they are playing hard ball or actually think they end up with a 1, it’s because I think they want to give Lance a year to learn.

They have no need to leak that, though. They're sitting at the 3rd pick. They don't have to fool anyone to create a smokescreen to get their guy. It makes no sense.

I think a likely theory is Kyle wants Mac Jones, and the Front Office would like to take a higher ceiling player with the 3rd pick. We'll just have to wait and see who wins out. Lance, Fields, and Mac Jones will all disappoint at the next level so it doesn't really matter anyway. :D

I see a lot of QB 1st round busts in this draft, and teams are going to get gun shy in future years due to the ramifications of this draft. Where going forward only 1 or 2 QBs will be taken in the 1st. Especially in the top half of the 1st. Potentially 4 QBs going in the top 10 is nuts. These guys are way overvalued, and the teams that take them are going to feel it.

I actually agree with you.

I used to think the 49ers are leaking, but the more noise I hear about it, the more I think they aren't leaking anything at all and the rumors have taken a life of their own in an echo chamber. You are starting to see some of that with people wgho were so sure just a few days ago beginning to backtrack a bit.

At this point, I think the 49ers aren't talking and the 49ers trade to 3 is the biggest story...so people are now left to invent a story because they don't have any information. Its just a great big Echo Chamber and really has nothing to do with what the 49ers will actually do.

Shefter is backtracking. I heard Gil Brandt last night say his sources have no idea who they will pick.

Maybe Mac is the pick. I have no idea and won't pretend I know. I also believe tho that NOBODY but Kyle and John and maybe a few at the top know and everyone else is guessing.

Alot if this is based on the ASSUMPTION that Kirk Cousins is his prototype QB. Clearly then, he will trade up and take a QB who reminds him of Kirk, right? If he wanted Kirk he could have had him.

Moreover his dad won with Elway and Young. This narrative that he only wants immpbile pocket passers is completely false. Thats what he's ended up with because they don't invest a premium pick on the position.

They were going after Watson all offseason. Does he fit the Cousins mold?

Its all BS. Nobody will know until the 19th when the pick is in. Anyone who pretends they do is lyin'.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would think the best measuring stick is to look at whom the Shanahan's have had as QB's, Ryan, they went after Garoppolo, He has had RGIII as well but that was not the best fit for what he was doing, brought another dynamic but was not the mechanical dissecting type QB, Mike his dad liked that aspect as he had some of that with Elway who was not in his prime when he took over the Broncos but changed to a more pocket passer.

So look for a tall smart guy with a strong arm that isn't a spotlight seeker. Someone who is accurate over a physical specimen. Oh and also have a somewhat compact throwing motion to get the ball out, someone who can handle pressure and is pretty much unflappable.

Fade

Reaction score
chris98251":3g9p4o0m said:
I would think the best measuring stick is to look at whom the Shanahan's have had as QB's, Ryan, they went after Garoppolo, He has had RGIII as well but that was not the best fit for what he was doing, brought another dynamic but was not the mechanical dissecting type QB, Mike his dad liked that aspect as he had some of that with Elway who was not in his prime when he took over the Broncos but changed to a more pocket passer.

So look for a tall smart guy with a strong arm that isn't a spotlight seeker. Someone who is accurate over a physical specimen. Oh and also have a somewhat compact throwing motion to get the ball out, someone who can handle pressure and is pretty much unflappable.

RG III was forced upon them by ownership. a compromise was struck, Shanny would agree on the RG III deal if they could also take Cousins or Wilson in the middle rounds. RG III is not Kyle's type. He wants a guy that can execute his plays that he spends all week scheming up. He'll gladly take mobility as a bonus, but he wants guys that can process information quickly, and get the ball out on time to the right guy. Like Cousins and Matt Ryan. Fields isn't the next Steve Young, not even close. But they may have to go that direction to justify giving up so much.

I have no idea who the 9ers will draft, but Kyle damn near looked like he was gonna cry at Mac Jones unimpressive pro-day when the camera cut to him. (He traded up to number 3 for this!) :D

Marvin49

Reaction score
OK...couple things on the last few posts.

Shanahan needs a QB who can play from the pocket. There is no question of that. He does NOT need a QB who can ONLY play from the pocket.

Yes, the QBs he's had have been Ryan (who was already there), RGIII (who had BY FAR his most successful season with Kyle), Garoppolo (who took him mainly because he was offered at a low price), and Cousins who was selected in the 5th round.

If Kyle is gonna take a QB, he's typically going to find a guy he likes later on in the draft who can play from the pocket and doesn't possess elite traits. Look at what the Shanahans do at RB. Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Alfred Morris, Davonta Freeman, Raheem Mostert...all of those guys had success as RBs in the Shanahan system. The only one picked high was Portis (2nd round) and they promptly traded him for Champ Bailey. Why? Because they think they can scheme offense. They don't take RBs high.

Other than RGIII, the same holds for QBs. Slow, lumbering, pocket passers are available later in the draft.

IMO, what he is NOT going to do is trade up to the 3rd pick, pay 2 more first to get there, and take the guy with no elite traits. The whole point is scheme over personnel.

That's not what Kyle is looking for right now. Something has changed. He wouldn't have done this before. The only time the Shanahans (and to be clear, his Dad is a part of this...he's been to all the QB pro days) have traded up like this was for RGIII. RGIII was rookie of the year. His career fell apart because he got hurt and then had an attitude. Team chose the QB over the coaching staff and RGIII proceeded to tank.

Kyles watched Wilson. He's watched Kyler. He's seen the Rams get Stafford. He saw Mahomes rip him up at the end of the SB.

Kyle is looking for a guy with elite traits. Why do you think the Niners were in on Watson? If they really wanted a guy like Cousins, they could have traded for him in his first year in SF. I mean, hell, they could have him NOW if they gave up the 3rd pick. They could have done if for 12.

Pay attention to Kyles comments after they lost to Buffalo this season. Kyle is looking for an athlete. He's not going to...and never was, going to pick Mac Jones. All this noise is speculation based on the types of QBs he's had in the past. Its old information. If that's what he wanted he could keep Jimmy or go get Cousins. He wouldn't have to farm out the future for Mac freakin Jones.

My bet is Lance, tho I like Fields as well. Longshot? Zach Wilson. I know all the noise says Jets take Wilson and they very well might, but the noise also said until a few days ago Mac was a lock...and I don't buy it.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":vyx2qofb said:

Shanahan needs a QB who can play from the pocket. There is no question of that. He does NOT need a QB who can ONLY play from the pocket.

Yes, the QBs he's had have been Ryan (who was already there), RGIII (who had BY FAR his most successful season with Kyle), Garoppolo (who took him mainly because he was offered at a low price), and Cousins who was selected in the 5th round.

If Kyle is gonna take a QB, he's typically going to find a guy he likes later on in the draft who can play from the pocket and doesn't possess elite traits. Look at what the Shanahans do at RB. Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Alfred Morris, Davonta Freeman, Raheem Mostert...all of those guys had success as RBs in the Shanahan system. The only one picked high was Portis (2nd round) and they promptly traded him for Champ Bailey. Why? Because they think they can scheme offense. They don't take RBs high.

Other than RGIII, the same holds for QBs. Slow, lumbering, pocket passers are available later in the draft.

IMO, what he is NOT going to do is trade up to the 3rd pick, pay 2 more first to get there, and take the guy with no elite traits. The whole point is scheme over personnel.

That's not what Kyle is looking for right now. Something has changed. He wouldn't have done this before. The only time the Shanahans (and to be clear, his Dad is a part of this...he's been to all the QB pro days) have traded up like this was for RGIII. RGIII was rookie of the year. His career fell apart because he got hurt and then had an attitude. Team chose the QB over the coaching staff and RGIII proceeded to tank.

Kyles watched Wilson. He's watched Kyler. He's seen the Rams get Stafford. He saw Mahomes rip him up at the end of the SB.

Kyle is looking for a guy with elite traits. Why do you think the Niners were in on Watson? If they really wanted a guy like Cousins, they could have traded for him in his first year in SF. I mean, hell, they could have him NOW if they gave up the 3rd pick. They could have done if for 12.

Pay attention to Kyles comments after they lost to Buffalo this season. Kyle is looking for an athlete. He's not going to...and never was, going to pick Mac Jones. All this noise is speculation based on the types of QBs he's had in the past. Its old information. If that's what he wanted he could keep Jimmy or go get Cousins. He wouldn't have to farm out the future for Mac freakin Jones.

My bet is Lance, tho I like Fields as well. Longshot? Zach Wilson. I know all the noise says Jets take Wilson and they very well might, but the noise also said until a few days ago Mac was a lock...and I don't buy it.

Who are you trying to convince, Marv? Us, or yourself?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":3kyxtjmr said:
Marvin49":3kyxtjmr said:

LOL.

Fair. :)

I honestly don't think its Mac tho. Media has no idea what they are gonna do.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":3lpxi241 said:
Maulbert":3lpxi241 said:
Marvin49":3lpxi241 said:

LOL.

Fair. :)

I honestly don't think its Mac tho. Media has no idea what they are gonna do.

Until a few days ago, I wouldn't have thought so. I don't know why Jones' stock has shot up, but it has. As little as 2 weeks ago, most mocks had him behind Trey Lance, who, while raw, I think most people believe has a higher ceiling than Jones. When they made the trade, I assumed the Niners wanted Justin Fields with an outside shot at Zach Wilson. However, in hindsight, I think they knew Wilson was already off the table, because if he wasn't, they would've moved up to #2. No one moves up that high just in the hope that the guy you covet might drop. So the pick likely is going to be Fields or Jones, because they probably could've gotten Lance cheaper.

knownone

Reaction score
I would rather have Jones than Fields. Jones is definitely the 3rd best QB in the draft. He’s smart and accurate. His biggest issue is his fairly average arm and lack of athleticism. Ten years ago, he’d be the #2 pick. Now teams seem to be devaluing the pocket QB.

If he’s the Niners pick, I would put money on him having the better career of anyone besides Lawrence. I understand the concerns, but after watching film on him, he really does seem like a Matt Ryan type of QB. He doesn’t have Mahomes or Allen potential. However, in the right system, he could be a perennial pro bowler.

Marvin49

Reaction score
knownone":kmyx293c said:
I would rather have Jones than Fields. Jones is definitely the 3rd best QB in the draft. He’s smart and accurate. His biggest issue is his fairly average arm and lack of athleticism. Ten years ago, he’d be the #2 pick. Now teams seem to be devaluing the pocket QB.

If he’s the Niners pick, I would put money on him having the better career of anyone besides Lawrence. I understand the concerns, but after watching film on him, he really does seem like a Matt Ryan type of QB. He doesn’t have Mahomes or Allen potential. However, in the right system, he could be a perennial pro bowler.

So....

...because the trade was done so far in advance, I've had time to go over this several times and the QB I like most has changed several times.

What I can say definitively is that Mac Jones has never been my favorite. LOL.

I don't hate Mac Jones. What he did last year would be impressive on any level with any team. People keep making the comparison saying "he looks like a Kyle QB" but the thing is...Kyle never used anything close to a 3rd overall pick on one of those guys. His philosophy is that he doesn't need to take a QB in round 1 just like he doesn't need to take a RB...like...at all. The fact that he's being SOOO aggressive to get a QB is telling in itself. I think he's looking for an athlete with plus traits. That doesn't sound like Jones.

IF Jones is the pick, I'll look forward to watching him and hoping that I'm wrong. In a big way.

I like his game. I do. My issue is not that I think he's a horrible player. My issue is that I don't think he offers much that they don't already have in Jimmy. The only thing I see that he offers is a cheaper contract and he isn't hurt all the time.

If the Niners took Mac at the END of round one, I'd think it was a great pick. If they had the 3rd pick initially, I could at least understand the pick.

Its the giving up 2 additional 1s and a 3 to get up to three where it all falls apart for me. That just doesn't jive to me as something you do because a guy might be cheaper and maybe he won't get hurt as much.

You make that trade for a guy you think can be transformational.

My head tells me its Lance. If its Jones, I'll hate it, but welcome to the 49ers. PLEASE make me eat crow. PLEASE. :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":180lpue3 said:
https://qbcollective.com/

This just might tell you who the 49ers are drafting...

Yeah...there was quite a bit on that when the 49ers initially made the trade.

My favorite: Fields
My guess: Lance
My nightmare: Jones

knownone

Reaction score
Marvin49":xpxz3gas said:
knownone":xpxz3gas said:

So....

...because the trade was done so far in advance, I've had time to go over this several times and the QB I like most has changed several times.

I don't hate Mac Jones. What he did last year would be impressive on any level with any team. People keep making the comparison saying "he looks like a Kyle QB" but the thing is...Kyle never used anything close to a 3rd overall pick on one of those guys. His philosophy is that he doesn't need to take a QB in round 1 just like he doesn't need to take a RB...like...at all. The fact that he's being SOOO aggressive to get a QB is telling in itself. I think he's looking for an athlete with plus traits. That doesn't sound like Jones.

IF Jones is the pick, I'll look forward to watching him and hoping that I'm wrong. In a big way.

I like his game. I do. My issue is not that I think he's a horrible player. My issue is that I don't think he offers much that they don't already have in Jimmy. The only thing I see that he offers is a cheaper contract and he isn't hurt all the time.

If the Niners took Mac at the END of round one, I'd think it was a great pick. If they had the 3rd pick initially, I could at least understand the pick.

Its the giving up 2 additional 1s and a 3 to get up to three where it all falls apart for me. That just doesn't jive to me as something you do because a guy might be cheaper and maybe he won't get hurt as much.

My head tells me its Lance. If its Jones, I'll hate it, but welcome to the 49ers. PLEASE make me eat crow. PLEASE. :)
This is hard for me because I've been on the record (for years) saying that John Lynch is a bad GM who doesn't appear to have a long-term plan and hastily makes big decisions in the moment. So I think he's a guy who would mortgage the future for a modest upgrade at QB. However, this is the rare instance where I think Niners fans are overreacting.

Trey Lance and Justin Fields are not better prospects than Jones. You could make the argument that they have higher upside because of their athleticism and arm strength, but as QBs, Jones is far and away superior at this moment. That's why I think you folks are overreacting. You see the flashiness and high ceiling of Lance and Fields and think there is no way Jones is on their level value-wise. Why? because he's not fast and he doesn't have a cannon? Meanwhile, he has a very similar skill-set as Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, and Kirk Cousins. But, Niners fans would rather roll the dice on finding the next Mahomes or Allen even if a miss could be terminal to both Shanahan and Lynch...

I don't understand the logic. If Kyle is the QB guru that people think he is, then if he wants Jones, shouldn't Niners fans have faith in the pick?

CPHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":e8swtq4k said:
12AngryHawks":e8swtq4k said:
https://qbcollective.com/

This just might tell you who the 49ers are drafting...

Yeah...there was quite a bit on that when the 49ers initially made the trade.

My nightmare: Jones

It will be Jones. And in 10 years every 49ers fan will be pissed that they passed on multiple x all pro Left tackle Sewell.

Marvin49

Reaction score
knownone":wcxmesuy said:
Marvin49":wcxmesuy said:
knownone":wcxmesuy said:

So....

This is hard for me because I've been on the record (for years) saying that John Lynch is a bad GM who doesn't appear to have a long-term plan and hastily makes big decisions in the moment. So I think he's a guy who would mortgage the future for a modest upgrade at QB. However, this is the rare instance where I think Niners fans are overreacting.

Trey Lance and Justin Fields are not better prospects than Jones. You could make the argument that they have higher upside because of their athleticism and arm strength, but as QBs, Jones is far and away superior at this moment. That's why I think you folks are overreacting. You see the flashiness and high ceiling of Lance and Fields and think there is no way Jones is on their level value-wise. Why? because he's not fast and he doesn't have a cannon? Meanwhile, he has a very similar skill-set as Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, and Kirk Cousins. But, Niners fans would rather roll the dice on finding the next Mahomes or Allen even if a miss could be terminal to both Shanahan and Lynch...

I don't understand the logic. If Kyle is the QB guru that people think he is, then if he wants Jones, shouldn't Niners fans have faith in the pick?

I understand your point, but every fan has favorites.

If Jones is the pick, do I immediately pack up and sell my season tickets? Of course not. I'll be disappointed and then I'll root for the guy to be better than I think.

There is also some history on this for me though.

I live in the Bay Area and I got to see alot of Aaron Rodgers at Cal. I wanted the Niners to take him at 1 and they took Alex Smith instead. Now EVERY. SINGLE. TIME the 49ers play the Packers, I gotta be reminded of that not only by the players, but the media story that follows.

The thing is, I really think Kyle is looking for a high traits guy who he can mold, not a pick he'd have traditionally made. 49ers are now in division with Wilson, Murray, and Stafford. I just don't think Jones stacks up.

So...I'll say again as I've been saying for awhile...

knownone

Reaction score
Marvin49":3es3bj5s said:
Congrats on getting one of the guys you wanted.

It'll be interesting to see who ends up being the better player among Jones, Lance, Fields, and Wilson. Jones and Lance are in the best situations, so we'll get to know for certain if the Niners made the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.