OP
OP
E

Elemas

Reaction score
Seanhawk":133pucbn said:
WmHBonney":133pucbn said:
jmahon316":133pucbn said:
You guys obviously don't pay attention to the Buckeyes in College Football or their history of quarterbacks.

Exactly. Name one OSU QB that went on to have NFL success as a qb. They all look like superstars in college but never pan out in the NFL. I don't know why. Scheme? OSU's history of stellar WRs? Who knows? Plus, this kid couldn't beat out Jake Fromm at Georgia? Bears could have taken Mac Jones. He isn't as athletic as Fields but I think he is a better QB.

You're seriously bagging on OSU QBs as a predictor of Fields' success, but then you say they could have taken Mac Jones? Name an Alabama QB that's been worth a $h!t in the NFL.

I tend to agree with both of you and it was part of the reason why I made this post. Fields is an athlete no doubt but, you can’t discount the truth that OSU QBs typically don’t work out. I don’t know why. Chicago really had no choice but, they definitely gave up more than I think most of their fans wanted to. But, I know their fan base also has to be happy to have some encouragement at that position.

Maybe because they’re surrounded by talent, they shine on college. Plenty of QBs, like Burrow for example, have had talented receivers, lines, etc in college and have went off and played well in the NFL.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Somos doces":2f62b889 said:
Seanhawk":2f62b889 said:
... But when was the last time the Bears picked a successful QB in the first round? You couple that with no Alabama QBs in the last 35 years being worth a damn, Jones would be sure to bust had the Bears taken him using all this ridiculous logic.
What effect does any of this history have on this specific pick?

None. That was the whole point of my post. Hence the term "ridiculous logic."

Marvin49

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1zy7tjvd said:
jmahon316":1zy7tjvd said:
You guys obviously don't pay attention to the Buckeyes in College Football or their history of quarterbacks.

Exactly. Name one OSU QB that went on to have NFL success as a qb. They all look like superstars in college but never pan out in the NFL. I don't know why. Scheme? OSU's history of stellar WRs? Who knows? Plus, this kid couldn't beat out Jake Fromm at Georgia? Bears could have taken Mac Jones. He isn't as athletic as Fields but I think he is a better QB.

That’s just a lame argument. It’s true until it’s not. You can’t make a real decision based on it.

Name a QB from Texas Tech before Mahomes. You can make this argument about almost any school. Most Ohio State QBs are famous, but no highly drafted. Haskins is the exception, not the rule. Troy Smith was a late pick. Cardale Jones was a late pick. Braxton Miller switched positions. You judge every QB independently.

I mean, name a school that’s even had more than one. Stanford?

Fields may or may not be good, but it has zilch to do with the school he attended.

I mean people used to say the exact same thing about Jeff Tedford QBs...until Aaron Rodgers.

If you skip guys because of “history” like that, you are doomed to make big mistakes.

chris98251

Reaction score
Schools can produce a long string of QB's for the league, UW has had many, but it's about the systems they run, is what they are doing translate to the NFL, then you need to be winning as well to have a string of QB's. So Coaching is a big factor. Michigan was producing QB's pretty well as was Notre Dame for many years, Miami also. You don't hear much about a lot of those Schools QB's and them being a phenom anymore since the Coaches have moved on and retired. Florida State had great numbers but Spurriers system didn't translate well to the NFL, teams picked QB's from there and they failed in the league, RB's were a different story.

Even little ole Washington State was a pretty good QB factory when Price, Walden and Erickson were the coaches.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":11j44uiv said:
Schools can produce a long string of QB's for the league, UW has had many, but it's about the systems they run, is what they are doing translate to the NFL, then you need to be winning as well to have a string of QB's. So Coaching is a big factor. Michigan was producing QB's pretty well as was Notre Dame for many years, Miami also. You don't hear much about a lot of those Schools QB's and them being a phenom anymore since the Coaches have moved on and retired. Florida State had great numbers but Spurriers system didn't translate well to the NFL, teams picked QB's from there and they failed in the league, RB's were a different story.

Even little ole Washington State was a pretty good QB factory when Price, Walden and Erickson were the coaches.

True, but you can't discount players entirely based on those schools/systems. The same two examples, Texas Tech and Jeff Tedford QBs apply.

Justin Fields isn't Haskins, Troy Smith or Cardale Jones. I don't know if he'll be successful, but I'm surely not going to discount him making it based solely on playing at Ohio State.

Latest posts