Aaron Rodgers reportedly mocked Packers GM Brian Gutekunst

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Put him on the bench. Make an example of him. I know it will never happen, but this kind of bullshit is just going to keep getting more prevalent until a couple of examples are made.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
He is a man not a commodity, why is it you feel he needs to made an example of?

samwize77

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2fespy3r said:
He is a man not a commodity, why is it you feel he needs to made an example of?
He is a commodity. And of course, he is a man. As such, he should man up and shut up. He is being paid millions to play ball, not be part of running a team. Old school players will tell you that. The prima donnas these days think they are more important than the teams they play on. If Rodgers wishes to have a say...then retire and take a front office position. Or a coaching position. IMHO, teams need to stand up to players...…..the organizations have a much greater responsibility...to oversee the well being of a team, in the now, and for the future. Great QB's are worth millions, but are temporary. Teams are worth billions, and hopefully will be around long after any current player has retired.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Oh the old “shut up and play ball so I can be entertained” line. As a human he has the right to be and do as he sees fit, and then deal with the results. As a HOF player he has earned the leverage he has, just as the team and league has used their leverage to control 98% of the players as they see fit.

Maybe if you want to control players then you should retire and get a front office job and show these “prima donnas” what up...

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not sure I agree. It does not seem that HOF quality QBs are commodities at all.

They seem to be a scarce and coveted resource.

Rodgers is a once-in-a-generation QB. A QB his caliber will land on a team maybe every 10 years.

There are over 30 teams in the NFL. What ranking is the Packers GM? How replaceable is he?

Rodgers is a top 5 QB. How replaceable is he?

The obvious conclusion?

GM is much more replaceable than a HOF QB. Within a decade we might see teams use computers as GMs, they are a closer thing to a commodity than a QB.

To be fair the goal of a GM is not always to build or maintain a winning team. Which is the problem as the QB sees it.

But if you are going to err, unless you have a transcendent GM - you err in favor of the HOF QB.

chris98251

Reaction score
If he wants to control a team maybe he should retire and buy one. Oh he isn't that rich then shut up, he is an employee paid to perform a task, they have other employees paid to perform their tasks, not his job.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
A GM is an employee too.

What is the point?

The difference is that a QB is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. The QB also has the leverage to hold back his services because other teams are more than willing to acquire his services at almost any cost.

The QBs are the ones that determine success or failure now. So teams have to deal with it. Because if they do not, someone else will.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2zytiefc said:
A GM is an employee too.

What is the point?

The difference is that a QB is worth hundreds of millions of dollars. The QB also has the leverage to hold back his services because other teams are more than willing to acquire his services at almost any cost.

The QBs are the ones that determine success or failure now. So teams have to deal with it. Because if they do not, someone else will.

Yes that GM many times hires coach's drafts and signs players, point is that he is the GM to do that not the QB. Oh and the QB is only successful as the players and Coaches a GM puts around him.

Jeff George ummm Aaron Rodgers better watch what he wishes for, have seen the history of players that think they are bigger then the game.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
I think Terry Bradshaw did a better job of mocking Rodgers than Rodgers did of mocking his GM. Bradshaw nailed it.

knownone

Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I’ll stop watching the NFL if it turns into the NBA. Rodgers can say and do whatever he wants. That goes for all QBs. However, no competent NFL team should let their QB dictate personnel decisions. It’s like an employee thinking they can do the bosses job because they work in the same building. Yeah, sometimes it’s true, but usually it’s just a fantasy built on ignorance.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":2cv5d0sz said:
Oh the old “shut up and play ball so I can be entertained” line. As a human he has the right to be and do as he sees fit, and then deal with the results. As a HOF player he has earned the leverage he has, just as the team and league has used their leverage to control 98% of the players as they see fit.

Maybe if you want to control players then you should retire and get a front office job and show these “prima donnas” what up...
Well it depends on the contract that he signed. Doesn’t it? And some of you guys actually believe that Rogers would work in Seattle under Pete & JS? Noooo.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Brady dictated personnel decisions.

It turned a team that had no chance into a SB winner.

He didn't just mandate they sign Gronk, he made them trade for him.

Their coach, and reportedly their GM, was against signing AB. He had them sign AB anyway.

Teams that do not allow QBs to make the key decisions will find themselves without a QB because there are plenty of teams that know letting QBs make those decisions will vault them into the playoffs. And QBs now know they can (AND WILL) force themselves off the roster of teams that try to assert their power over their star QBs.

If you are a star QB, you either get what you want or can force yourself to a place that you will. That is the reality because of over 30 teams, the top 5-7 QBs determine who gets to go to the SB. And you cannot get to a SB without that key...(MAYBE the Browns are so loaded now they don't need an elite QB...but I doubt it.)

QBs make the rules now. Watson and Brady opened the door and even 'company man' Wilson is pushing his way through it. If you are great QB, you get to make the decisions if you don't agree with the coach or the GM. If not, you go where you will.

knownone

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":8hadhzrm said:
Brady dictated personnel decisions.

It turned a team that had no chance into a SB winner.

He didn't just mandate they sign Gronk, he made them trade for him.

Their coach, and reportedly their GM, was against signing AB. He had them sign AB anyway.

Teams that do not allow QBs to make the key decisions will find themselves without a QB because there are plenty of teams that know letting QBs make those decisions will vault them into the playoffs. And QBs now know they can (AND WILL) force themselves off the roster of teams that try to assert their power over their star QBs.

If you are a star QB, you either get what you want or can force yourself to a place that you will. That is the reality because of over 30 teams, the top 5-7 QBs determine who gets to go to the SB. And you cannot get to a SB without that key...(MAYBE the Browns are so loaded now they don't need an elite QB...but I doubt it.)

QBs make the rules now. Watson and Brady opened the door and even 'company man' Wilson is pushing his way through it. If you are great QB, you get to make the decisions if you don't agree with the coach or the GM. If not, you go where you will.
The Bucs traded what amounts to a 5th round pick for Gronk, who stated he would only unretire to play with Brady. He's arguably the great tight end of all time, and he was 30 years old last season. To say Brady mandated or made the Bucs trade for Gronk is a stretch. The Bucs would make that trade even if Winston was still their QB.

AB is a HoF caliber WR in his late prime who signed for the vet minimum with no guarantees last season. Brady was definitely responsible for the signing, but that deal does not get done if Brown had any semblance of a market. Even this year, Brown has a meager 2 million guaranteed, which is voided if he gets into trouble. Seattle would take that deal in a heartbeat. Brown chose the Bucs.

What a minute. What do you mean you need a top 5-7 QB to make a Superbowl? Does that include Jared Goff, Jimmy Garapolo, and Nick Foles? Seriously, eliminate Brady from the last decade of SB's, and there are almost as many average-to-bad QBs as elite QBs. Flacco, Kaepernick, washed Peyton Manning. You'd have to include Newton and Ryan in the above-average group. Yeah, they won MVP's the year they went to the Superbowl, but it's hard to argue either guy has been top 5-7 for the past decade. Russ wasn't top 7 when he made the SB. Big Ben hasn't been back to the Superbowl since losing his elite defense, and Rodgers hasn't been to the Superbowl in over a decade. So, it's basically Mahomes, Brady, Peyton Manning.

Torc

Reaction score
The thing that bugs me the most about this (apart from Rodgers being possibly the most overrated player ever) is that teams NEED a quality backup. Getting his nose out of joint when his team is a bad hit away from not even going to the playoffs is ludicrous. "I don't want my replacement on the team" is equivalent to "I'm not confident in my ability to beat a competitor in practice". Not to mention, since 2000 only 3 QBs (counting Brady and Payton once each) have made it to the super bowl at age 35 or higher. Why should a team hold off on drafting their QB of the future when their QB is 37? Yes, moving in the first round to draft a QB that was projected for the second round was a reach.....but drafting a QB with a high pick was smart. Knowing Rodgers, the chip on his shoulder as a result of the pick probably fueled him into an MVP year. Good job, GM! All the talking heads keep saying he should be offended. That's BS. It's not lack of respect to throw a dose of reality in.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
No, it was mindblowingly stupid for them to draft the QB without including their current QB in the decision.

Because if you upset Rodgers, and they did, then you have a guy with one foot out the door that has the power to hold your team hostage until he gets what he wants.

What he wants is for you to spend your draft picks on players that give him the best chance to win now. Because they keep coming close and look to be a player or 2 away. Spending high draft picks on guys that will not move the needle is ridiculous when your QB has a finite playoff-caliber lifespan.

If you think Jordan Love can be a great QB and turn into a guy that despite not being a top 5 pick turns into a top QB (like a Josh Allen), then you make the case to Rodgers. At least you do not blindside him.

GMs that do not keep their QBs happy are going to lose their QBs. And that will translate into the GM losing their own job. They do not get to make arbitrary decisions that would upset with star QB without including that QB in the discussion.

It was immensely stupid of the team to try to push that through without including Rodgers.

James in PA

Reaction score
This whole thing reminds me of the RW story from several weeks back. Erin might want out, but they are not trading him. There is no doubt in my mind that he’ll be back with the Packers. I just hope we don’t have to watch them in another NFCCG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Except for Russ never said he wanted out. Rodgers is being a world class a hole, the entire time.
Not saying Russ is w/out fault, but this situation is WAY worse imo.

James in PA

Reaction score
Sorry, I meant that it reminds me of RW situation in that when the dust settles, absolutely nothing will come of it and the player will be back with his same team. The way Rodgers is handling things is worse. I was, however, not a fan of RW’s agent name dropping those 4 other teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk