NFC WEST RESULTS & RANKINGS AFTER WEEK 1

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fade":22lk9qjr said:
Marvin49":22lk9qjr said:
OK..."precious 49ers gave up 33 pts".

LOL.

OK...few things for the record...

1) The score was 41-17 with 5.5 minutes left when the 49ers pulled their starters to avoid injuries like the one they just got to Verrett.
2) Lions drove and scored TD and 2pt conversion vs backups. 41-25.
3) Lost onside kick
4) Lions drove again against backups to score second TD and 2 pt conversion. 41-33.
5) 49ers on verge of icing game when Deebo fumbled.
6) 49ers reinserted starters and made the final stand.

Unacceptable. Even against backups, Lions shouldn't have been able to do that, but there was no Bosa, no Warner, no Greenlaw, no Ward, and no Tartt on the field on those drives. It wasn't as dire you guys let on, but I'll say this specifically.

Negative:

1) 49ers interior run D was getting gashed bad all game, not just at the end. Part of that was Kinlaw out and some of that is weakness of the Wide 9. Its a serious problem moving forward. If teams can do that all year, it will kill them.
2) Verrett getting injured is heartbreaking and sadly not unexpected. Trusting an oft-injured CB to stay healthy wasn't a good plan. There is a reason they got him cheap on a 1 year deal.

Positive:

1) Rookie Deommodore Lenoir however on the other side was a pleasant surprise. 55 Coverage snaps, gave up 3 yards. Depth at CB will be a major issue.
2) Mostert hurt again which is frustrating, but rookie 5th rounder Elijah Mitchell ran for over 100 and a TD. Shanahans just seem to manufacture RBs.

Should be noted that while Mostert and Verrett are fragile (I won't even start to argue they are not) the 49er DID draft 2 corners (Ambry Thomas and Deommodore Lenoir) and 2 RBs (Elijah Mitchell and Trey Sermon). Lenoir and Mitchell played well yesterday. We'll see how they play going forward.

49ers were at one point up 38-10 and IMO had the worst performance in the NFC West yesterday.

Just to clarify the 49ers ranking 4th had nothing to do with them taking the foot off the petal up big (Shanny'ing), and everything to do with them being an injury prone team who lost a top 10 CB for the season with also having the worst QB in the division, who also too happens to be injury prone. When you're playing with an avg. QB or worse you have to be lights out everywhere else on the field, or be lucky to be in a weak division. The Niners have neither luxury.

How are the Niners going to replace Jason Verrett with 2 late round rookies and washed up vets? Those bit parts are not going to replace a #1 corner. :D :D

More injuries are sure to follow based on the history of these players always getting hurt. Watch Kyle's presser after the Lions game, it sounded like a funeral… AFTER A WIN. I'm sorry to break it to you Marv, but it is quickly trending toward Kyle & the 49ers having their 4th losing season in 5 years, and until they change things at the top and rebuild the team properly this is going to keep happening. 2019 was the outlier. Have you not noticed that the 49ers are always way more injured than the other teams year after year?

Lol. “Break it to me”.

Got it. Fade says Niners suck. Got it. Might as well
Not even play the games.

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
My ranking would be
1) Arizona based on how they dominated a very stout O line and D line allowing Kyler Murray all day to make easy throws.
2) Seattle based on the same. We dominated in the tranches and had a very balanced attack offensively. Defensively Hawks took away the run and had Wentz on his ass all game long.
3) Rams looked great but again it's against the Bears and Dalton
4) Somebody had to be 4 and SF played great it's just it was against Alabama's red shirt team

94Smith

Reaction score
By the way their AGL in 2020 was 166.6!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's no secret that I hate the Niners. But last year, it wasn't excuses at all. NO team can come back from that many injuries. Period.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":25xx05pw said:
Ramfan128":25xx05pw said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":25xx05pw said:
I've got to say, what I saw from the Seahawks in the first game, if they can keep that up, then the pundits are wrong again. I keep hearing how SF and LA are both better than we are. I think it's wishful thinking on the part of the press. I'm not saying both LA and SF aren't good teams, but I do think there's ling been a tendency, even a desire on the part of the national press to write bbn us off as past our window.

Only playing the games will tell but I like our chances to win this very stacked division. Not easily win it but win it with a fight. 8)

Put yourself in my shoes for a minute, and there are actually plenty of people who have picked Seattle to finish better than the Rams.

The Rams split with Seattle in the regular season, had a pretty bad performing QB, and despite that went into Seattle and dominated them in a playoff game.

Then the Rams moved from the 24th best QB to the 8th best - roughly speaking - which is a MASSIVE upgrade.

Imagine being me and reading someone picking Seattle over us....doesn't make a ton of sense in a vacuum. Most of it is disbelief in Stafford which does make sense, so that's fine. (I know the Rams and Seahawks both made other moves, but the QB upgrade was so massive I just focused on that).

Overall point being: when you get smacked by a divisional opponent in a playoff game, you should probably expect people to doubt your team winning the division next year.

Unless the main reason for that playoff loss--the offensive play-calling (pun intended)--has been rect** by a play-caller in Waldron whom you should already be be familiar with. That should provide a reality-check to those ignorant of Seattle's history of bland and predictable play-calling that has likely kept them from being the top seed in the NFC.

RW and company playing with the Ram's offensive scheme? Honestly, why wouldn't you think that can beat even the "best" of defenses? We already beat the Rams once last year with the bland play-calling.

Because the Rams offense struggled in that game, and the primary reason for that was addressed.

The Seahawks don't really have the personnel on defense to stop the Rams this year, while we still match up pretty well with Ramsey and AD.

I do agree Waldron will make Seattle better. Just not enough to make up for how much better Stafford is than Goff.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Elemas":1sol9a5d said:
Even with that said, I’ll take us over the Rams. If we bump heads in the playoffs, I won’t be worried about our roster vs theirs (injuries aside).

What I will worry about is McVay vs. Carroll. This is the matchup we’ve lost in recent years. If Pete let’s Waldron do what he does…. it’ll all be ok.

That's an interesting take. Seattle doesn't have a single CB that can cover any one of our WRs, and not a single defensive lineman that can win consistently against our OL. It's just not a good match up.

The Rams had a better roster last year and brought our QB position a lot closer to what Seattle has than what it was previously

chris98251

Reaction score
Ramfan128":wn89vmp4 said:
Elemas":wn89vmp4 said:
Even with that said, I’ll take us over the Rams. If we bump heads in the playoffs, I won’t be worried about our roster vs theirs (injuries aside).

What I will worry about is McVay vs. Carroll. This is the matchup we’ve lost in recent years. If Pete let’s Waldron do what he does…. it’ll all be ok.

That's an interesting take. Seattle doesn't have a single CB that can cover any one of our WRs, and not a single defensive lineman that can win consistently against our OL. It's just not a good match up.

The Rams had a better roster last year and brought our QB position a lot closer to what Seattle has than what it was previously

This post needs to be stickied, no D lineman can match up with their O line and we can't cover any of their receivers.

Mizak

Reaction score
I think Seahawks sweep Rams this season. Besides, what is Staffords W-L record against the Hawks?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
chris98251":1iq3902m said:
Ramfan128":1iq3902m said:
Elemas":1iq3902m said:

This post needs to be stickied, no D lineman can match up with their O line and we can't cover any of their receivers.

I said I wouldn't trust anyone on Seattle's DL to win consistently. By the time we play I could very well end up being wrong about that, but you have to admit the pass rush is a concern.

You guys have also bemoaned the CB situation, which jives with my opinion of Seattle's CB room. The Rams WRs would have a huge edge there.

But they still have Adams and Wagner, and the offense is good enough to beat us.

My comment was specifically about someone not being worried about the Rams roster vs Seattle's. The Rams have been better than Seattle minus the QB position since McVay got here, hence the 6-3 record. You guys think Waldron will make a difference, possibly a bigger difference than Stafford will make for the Rams. That's cool. But not being worried about the roster makes no sense. It'd be like me saying I wasn't worried about the Niners.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Marvin49":2pcsbqhg said:
Lol. “Break it to me”.

Not even play the games.

Nowhere did I say the 49ers suck. You're clearly offended that I've ranked them 4th in the division though, which is odd because it is quite obvious to anyone looking at it.

The 49ers are injury prone and have the worst QB in the division. If you comprehend that as "suck," that's on you.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

nutluck

Reaction score
If I was to currently after week 1 ranks the teams, it would be based on how they beat the team they faced and how good that team was expected to be. Of course that is just speculation and every year teams that made the playoffs the year before drop off and ones that didn't play well, so expected quality of a team is iffy at best.

With that said as a Rams fan this is my current order of NFCW teams

Cards
Seahawks
Rams
49ers

My reasons for the ranking. I feel the Titans who the Cards beat are going to compete for the div crown and the Cards just destroyed them. Colts and Bears I think are likely wild card teams, but I felt the Seahawks had a better over all game than the Rams who started a bit slow. Sorry 9ers fans but you beat the Lions and I don't think anyone thinks they are even a wild card team.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Fade":3iwlu56i said:
Marvin49":3iwlu56i said:
Lol. “Break it to me”.

Not even play the games.

Nowhere did I say the 49ers suck. You're clearly offended that I've ranked them 4th in the division though, which is odd because it is quite obvious to anyone looking at it.

The 49ers are injury prone and have the worst QB in the division. If you comprehend that as "suck," that's on you.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

I’m not offended by anything. I myself said they had the 4th best performance in the division last week.

94Smith

Reaction score
Fade":2uliny1i said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":2uliny1i said:
. If the Seahawks had Waldron last year they would've won the Superbowl due to the Chiefs being injured at OT, but still. Waldron last year gets the Seahawks the #1 Seed.

Not with your 2020 defense, not without 2020 fans in the stands. #1 seed would not have been a "home field advantage" and TB 12 or rodgers would have destroyed your lack of a pass rush and weak secondary . You were more than an OC away. Fortunately so far in 2021 the D looks better

HawkOG70’

Reaction score
94Smith":37nxlmmz said:
Fade":37nxlmmz said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":37nxlmmz said:
. If the Seahawks had Waldron last year they would've won the Superbowl due to the Chiefs being injured at OT, but still. Waldron last year gets the Seahawks the #1 Seed.

Not with your 2020 defense, not without 2020 fans in the stands. #1 seed would not have been a "home field advantage" and TB 12 or rodgers would have destroyed your lack of a pass rush and weak secondary . You were more than an OC away. Fortunately so far in 2021 the D looks better
Still finished 12-4 with no pass rush. Now with a re-tooled pass rush and player development our D line is nasty as all get out.

NINEster

Reaction score
Fade":31kno4up said:
Marvin49":31kno4up said:
Lol. “Break it to me”.

Not even play the games.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

You listed 500 things wrong with the team and just did Cliffs notes on the other teams.

Feels biased.

I really don't think 49er fans think the Seahawks suck as much as .NET thinks we do.

Besides, Fade answer this:

If the Seahawks exit pre NFC divisional round....AGAIN....this year, whose fault will it be?

The roster or Wilson?

You don't get to say Carroll or your new OC, or DC.

What I want is consistency -- you think the Hawks have this elite roster, don't back away from it in January. :2thumbs:

CPHawk

Reaction score
Love seeing the Rams give up a ton for Stafford, for him to really not be a whole lot better than Goff.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
CPHawk":294jl14s said:
Love seeing the Rams give up a ton for Stafford, for him to really not be a whole lot better than Goff.

Weird comment. He's already proven to be much better than Goff. Numerous plays - pretty much anytime the defense gets pressure or takes away the first read - Goff was shut down. Stafford can actually make plays off script

Washington49er

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3pvt70ew said:
CPHawk":3pvt70ew said:

Weird comment. He's already proven to be much better than Goff. Numerous plays - pretty much anytime the defense gets pressure or takes away the first read - Goff was shut down. Stafford can actually make plays off script

TBH I think Hawk fans are just trying to convince themselves he's Geoff because they know he's not. I'd take the 9ers playing a Geoff lead Rams team any day over one with MS at QB.