Stafford traded to Rams for Goff and lots of draft picks

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Stafford is one of those guys who probably does deserve to be in the HOF, and would be a shoe in if he hadn't spent his career in a dumpster.

Thinking of the QBs in the league. I don't particularly like ranking them, but putting them into tiers is ok

Tier 1 - Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers

Tier 2 - Watson, Wilson, Allen, Stafford

Tier 3 - Jackson, Murray, Mayfield, Hebert, Carr

Tier 4 - Tannehil, Ryan, Cousins, Prescott, Rivers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Fitzpatrick, Smith, Tagovailoa, Garoppolo, Minshew, Goff

Tier 5 - Burrow, Hurts, Jones, Dalton, Bridegwater, Trubisky, Newton, Lock, Wentz, Darnold

You could argue that he is more the top of Tier 3 than bottom of Tier 2, but either way it makes him better than 25 other starters in the league, and miles better than Goff.

Still wondering if Johnson has stayed in shape and will come out of retirement, on a minimum deal, to chase a well-deserved ring.

Fade

Reaction score
Fade":kh32ol6i said:
The Rams already traded two 1st rounders for Jalen Ramsey. They will have no 1st round picks for a long time. They will also eat a crap ton of proration from Goff's contract. Again, proving the salary cap is a myth. You can always move money around.

This is an amazing trade for the Rams. The Rams were the best team in the NFL last year, not factoring in QB.

They have it all, a smart coaching staff, #1 Defense, Top 5 O-Line, very strong at the skill positions. Now they have a QB who is fringe top 10. The only question I have with Stafford is health. If he can stay healthy, I'd make the Rams the favorites to come out of the NFC.

Unlike the Seahawks who mortgaged the farm last year for a Safety, LOL. The Rams were actually 1 player away, and now they have him.

My original take is holding up so far.

Not only that. It is looking like the best move of the entire off-season.

94Smith

Reaction score
Yep so far so good for the Rams. I have my preseason super bowl bet on them. Bills in the AFC

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Still can't believe the Lions were willing to take on that contract for those picks. Guess maybe they have a soft spot for Stafford, and want to see him get a ring.

Still believe this makes the Rams the clear favorite for this season's Lombardi.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Couldn't be happier with the trade, but not going to count our chickens yet. It definitely makes watching more fun, so that's a win. We still have road games against: Seahawks, Cardinals, Niners, Packers, Vikings, Ravens - I personally think all of those are playoff caliber teams, obviously not all will make it in the NFC unless the Rams miss out. They're all losable games, especially when considering how much worse we looked against Indy than the two home games.

Weird as it may seem - having Goff, even for some wins, was somewhat boring the last two years. If we're up at halftime, we win. Usually if we score first, we win. If Goff was off, we lose. If we're losing at any point in the fourth quarter, we lose.

The funniest thing about people's odd takes on the Rams right now is how many in the media keep reverberating "top heavy". There are certain rare players who just aren't replaceable regardless of depth - Donald, Ramsey, Tyreek Hill, Kelce, Bobby Wagner, Bosa, Warner and the list goes on and on and on, and obviously includes QBs. Aside from those guys, our depth is fine. We have a backup LT who has started several games and played well, we have four starting caliber WRs and a 2nd round pick backing them up, we have comparable talent at backups vs starters at safety, ILB, EDGE, DT (minus AD).

It's a truly bizarre take. Saying we'd be in trouble if Ramsey went down is like saying the Chiefs will be in trouble if Kelce goes down. They'd still have success against some teams, would struggle against others. Obvious but not a situation that's unique to the Rams.

It completely ignores that Justin Hollins, Kenny Young, the entire OL who few could name aside from Whitworth, Greg Gaines, Sebastian Joseph-Day, Jordan Fuller and others are all role players who have stepped up and helped win games.

I have some concerns though. We let David Long guard Mike Evans on Sunday. The defense played pretty well considering the Bucs were on fire coming in, but that decision was a head scratcher. We also sent delayed blitzes at TOM BRADY. Defense may as well have not been on the field. The special teams was next level bad the first two weeks. Better in week 3, but that's still a threat to lose us a game this year. We also haven't lost a fumble yet (only fumbled once or twice total), which is not sustainable. We also haven't had much success running the ball yet.

So really happy overall - and the world will see Cooper Kupp for who he is now (Bills fan tried to argue that Cole Beasley was better than him a few weeks ago....), and I hope Stafford can keep this up...but a 51 TD 3 INT season is probably not going to happen. But definitely some issues that could catch up to us, and we have 9 more games against good teams with six being on the road. Even if we win the NFCW, there's about a 99% chance Tampa finishes with a higher seed than us.