Great article about NFL officiating

Threedee

Reaction score
#1 they need to require that calls are only made when an official sees the entirety of the play. No more seeing so-called "context clues" and throwing a flag because "that usually means..."

olyfan63

Reaction score
Interesting article, but I don't know that having the coaches rate the crews would make the game any better. As a fan, I want to know that the obvious OPI will be called against the star receiver when he abuses a rookie CB. I want to know that the clear hold on the O-Line will be called even though it allowed Mahomes the time to zing the ball 60 yards downfield for a big play.

There's at least a veneer of attempted honesty, of making the teams play by the actual rules, instead of steering the game (which I believe does sometimes happen) to a preferred outcome.

So, interesting article, but their "solution" as written is a NO for me. I'd certainly be open to an idea like having coaches able to have one or two "challenges" where they don't get assigned the one or two crews they object to.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Threedee":t3nkpgg4 said:
#1 they need to require that calls are only made when an official sees the entirety of the play. No more seeing so-called "context clues" and throwing a flag because "that usually means..."
Exactly!

flv

Reaction score
Penalties aren't the problem. Bogus penalties are the problem, and bogus penalties seem to be called at a much higher rate on game changing plays.

chris98251

Reaction score
Touchdown for the Bengals today with the erroneous whistle that should not have been allowed and was reviewed is a good example.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
chris98251":1n4wrowa said:
Touchdown for the Bengals today with the erroneous whistle that should not have been allowed and was reviewed is a good example.

Same with the unseen timeout for the Raiders that prevented a clutch reception from Chase later in the game too (AFTER the ball was snapped), as well as the RtP penalty that was ignored on the same play. Same with the 2 VERY SKETCHY "catches" in a row that the refs were going to let slide for the Raiders until Taylor threw the challenge flag. Funny how fast NY can analyze and call the first catch a catch, but Taylor had to throw the challenge flag because NY "didn't have time" to see that 2nd catch was BS.

Regardless, like mentioned above, it was a bogus "penalty" because the ref didn't see the play through before he blew the whistle and relied solely on "it looks like he's going to go out of bounds but he isn't yet, what the hell I'll blow the whistle anyway"

The refs were absolute garbage the whole game and Raiders were their own worst enemy. Even though Taylor took the ball out of Burrow's hands, the better team won yesterday.

chris98251

Reaction score
Raiders O line looked like the Seahawks, Penalty after Penalty negating plays. Many were pretty ticky tacky also for a play off game.