QB controversy in 9ers land?

Maulbert

Reaction score
Mullens played well last year, and Garappolo is made of glass. Only homers should be surprised. Seriously, people were talking shit about Seattle paying Russ $35 million a year, at least he's played at a high level for 7 years. Garappolo got $27.5 million a year after only 7 STARTS. He hasn't shown even the slightest durability, and he makes Tony Romo look like Brett Favre. I said it before, and I'll say it again: the 49ers will regret that contract.

Largent80

Reaction score
And Sgt. Largent was giving me a ration over losing to Mullens.

Mullens played well and not just against us.

Garropolo is Matt Flynn right now.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Mullens played well last year, and Garappolo is made of glass. Only homers should be surprised. Seriously, people were talking shit about Seattle paying Russ $35 million a year, at least he's played at a high level for 7 years. Garappolo got $27.5 million a year after only 7 STARTS. He hasn't shown even the slightest durability, and he makes Tony Romo look like Brett Favre. I said it before, and I'll say it again: the 49ers will regret that contract.

According to the 'experts' on that video, Shannahan already peeping at other QBs to replace Garappolo, one would think Shanny knows the most of GQ's limitations. But trading of Garappolo was their GM Lynch's crowning achievement, Lynch is standing 120% behind Garappolo. I can see some sparkles if Garappolo's didn't have a breakout year. As a 12, that's fun time to see Shanny vs Lynch, 'you signed the wrong dude' vs 'you couldn't coach worth shyt".

Go Mullen lol, would love to sign Mullen as Russ's backup.

rlkats

Reaction score
I think Mullen’s played very well. He could start on most teams (including the niners). Question I have is, if Garappolo plays well and plays a full season is that enough to change the doubters minds? have to remind people shredding an ACL is a tough injury and one that anyone can get.

I think Jimmy will be fine. But this is a prove it or bounce year for him. We will see I guess

rlkats

Reaction score
On a side note. Remove the injury. Jimmy was on pace for;

3,829 yards
26TD
16INT

Not great, but not bad.

Mullen’s was on pace for;
4,554 yards
26TD
20INT

It’s anyones race.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
rlkats":3txqdexh said:

3,829 yards
26TD
16INT

Not great, but not bad.

4,554 yards
26TD
20INT

It’s anyones race.

With Mullen, they will have tonnes of cap room. and by trading GQ, they may even get a first round pic.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
toffee":2yfvbj8j said:
rlkats":2yfvbj8j said:

3,829 yards
26TD
16INT

Not great, but not bad.

4,554 yards
26TD
20INT

It’s anyones race.

With Mullen, they will have tonnes of cap room. and by trading GQ, they may even get a first round pic.

Coming of ACLtear, one half of a decent season and a huge salary.

They're not getting a first. But... If they like Mullens that much probably worth sounding out some trade partners

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Uncle Si":34cfvp3a said:
toffee":34cfvp3a said:
rlkats":34cfvp3a said:

3,829 yards
26TD
16INT

Not great, but not bad.

4,554 yards
26TD
20INT

It’s anyones race.

Coming of ACLtear, one half of a decent season and a huge salary.

They're not getting a first. But... If they like Mullens that much probably worth sounding out some trade partners

difficult situation as 9ers fans are totally into GQ.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
rlkats":1450v1ws said:
have to remind people shredding an ACL is a tough injury and one that anyone can get.

Yeah, but how many people tear it untouched tripping over nothing? Lol.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Garoppolo is flat out better. Even his "bad" game wasn't nearly as bad as people think by looking at the stats.

[youtube]bNHVr4NMMOs[/youtube]

The only real concern anyone who knows anything about this team has is, besides his durability, whether or not Mullens will improve enough to justify cutting Garoppolo after next year to save the money.

As of today, as of THIS season, THERE IS no controversy. Garoppolo is flat out the starter, end of discussion. Anything you've heard regarding this is baseless speculation, probably from people who haven't followed the team well.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
These guys are talking about getting Cousins on the 49ers? In a trade? If you take these guys serious you should just give up. No way they take a higher paid QB that has played no better and probably worse the last year or two. Come on. This is idiotic.

If Garoppolo regresses, or has another season ending injury, they'd probably trade him and promote Mullens. But they don't think that will happen.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
i think people are wondering if JG is traded and Mullens promoted, not Cousins or another starting QB.

And its legitimate. 49er fans extrapolate a few good games from JG into a career. That's not quite how it works and he will need to be better than good to keep Mullens on the sidelines.

Thus... the title of the thread.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1w3r3vn1 said:
i think people are wondering if JG is traded and Mullens promoted, not Cousins or another starting QB.

And its legitimate. 49er fans extrapolate a few good games from JG into a career. That's not quite how it works and he will need to be better than good to keep Mullens on the sidelines.

In 9ers land, GQ-Shanny-Paraag are like the holy trinity, with GQ as the son, and Paraag the ghost of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knownone

Reaction score
I mentioned this back in February in the other 49ers thread.

We really don't know any more now about Garoppolo than we did last season, and quite honestly Mullens didn't play bad this season. They've both played 8 games in SFO, they have very similar numbers, and Mullens is 4 years younger. It's at least possible that Mullens is the better QB long term than Garoppolo... Honestly, If Mullens turns into a stud and the 49ers cut Garoppolo next offseason. I think the 49ers will be a threat.

If the rumors are true, the 49ers are probably seeing what was obvious in February. Unless Garoppolo is a significant upgrade over Mullens, it does them no good to keep him on that contract when they'd be better off using that cap space to build around Mullens.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1g0uzyfu said:

The video posted in the original poster's thread suggested getting rid of JG and trading for Kirk Cousins. Hence the relevance to the OP.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3aqyzyxa said:
Uncle Si":3aqyzyxa said:

The video posted in the original poster's thread suggested getting rid of JG and trading for Kirk Cousins. Hence the relevance to the OP.

But obviously the conversation has been about JG and Mullens.. even your first post on the topic.

chris98251

Reaction score
From what I watched of the 49ers when Mullens was playing versus Grab a Ho the team played as a unit much more, Mullens has that it factor the rest of his team mates buy into. It becomes contagious. Small sample by what I watched but they seemed to have more heart.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Just curious, a question to any and all 49er fans: can you tell me, without a shadow of a doubt, you have absolute faith that Garappolo is THE GUY? That the injuries are just bad luck, and that he will turn into a guy that is worth being the highest paid player in the league (which he was, even though it was only for a month an a half)?

I just don't see it.