My McVay/Rams theory

pehawk

Reaction score
So, I have a crazy theory on what model the Rams will be using to build their team. I think the Rams are going to implement a, and the, great experiment. They're gonna follow a model long discussed but never implemented out of fear by GM's and HC's.

I think the Rams are never going to pay their QB. I think the Rams are going to always have a rookie or cheap QB and will NOT resign Goff.

McVay's system makes QB's almost irrelevant. McVay has gifted Goff the best OL, best skill position group, best RB, and best scheme to make easy throws over the middle. On top of that McVay LITERALLY makes the calls for Goff, telling him his read right before the headset turns off at 15 seconds. He doesn't need an elite QB to make that offense click...but he cant have an elite QB and stars everywhere else. So, Goff wont be resigned and McVay will probably draft a QB next year then sign a cheap, Keenum type bridge guy.

I am excited to see the experiment. And I do, somewhat, root for it to succeed, because I think it'll make the game better. Just not against the Hawks.

Anyway, love you.

Sincerely,

Flipper Anderson

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":vqyxjf5h said:
Not sure you can win a Chip with that mindset though, unless you luck out and hit on a special QB either at the bottom of rd1 or in the lower rounds.

Not sure either...but it's your best chance of ever attaining a roster like 2013 Seahawks or 2017 Eagles.

getnasty

Reaction score
I've thought the same thing about the Rams too. Goff is super overrated and it wouldn't shock me to see him traded before they sign him to a big deal. I don't see them doing that with just anyone but i could see it with Goff for sure.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
getnasty":d2rep820 said:
I've thought the same thing about the Rams too. Goff is super overrated and it wouldn't shock me to see him traded before they sign him to a big deal. I don't see them doing that with just anyone but i could see it with Goff for sure.

Agreed - but I also think they'll never sign a QB to a big contract. I wouldn't. As long as you have McVay and can spend on OL, RB, WR, and Wade and can spend on defense, they'll always win 11 to 12 games.

getnasty

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":2pazm7zp said:
Not sure you can win a Chip with that mindset though, unless you luck out and hit on a special QB either at the bottom of rd1 or in the lower rounds.

When it comes time to sign Goff you just franchise him and trade him for mulitple first round picks. Somebody would trade a top 5 pick for him.

getnasty

Reaction score
pehawk":2wl27bej said:
getnasty":2wl27bej said:

Agreed - but I also think they'll never sign a QB to a big contract. I wouldn't. As long as you have McVay and can spend on OL, RB, WR, and Wade and can spend on defense, they'll always win 11 to 12 games.

It will be interesting to see how teams attack them after the superbowl where they looked horrible.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
getnasty":13hxs0r9 said:
pehawk":13hxs0r9 said:
getnasty":13hxs0r9 said:

It will be interesting to see how teams attack them after the superbowl where they looked horrible.

Its gonna be great. Unfortunately, McVay is a savant. But...that OL is very, very old. And it began wearing down late last season.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
getnasty":3b8vz8ap said:

Seems pretty simple to me - just change the D after the QB headset turns off and take McVay out of the equation altogether.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
GeekHawk":29cmxnxs said:
getnasty":29cmxnxs said:

Seems pretty simple to me - just change the D after the QB headset turns off and take McVay out of the equation altogether.

McVay also didn't do that as much in the SB. They had longer huddles. It was weird. I think he was so scared of Bill, he went against his own system.

acer1240

Reaction score
Interesting throry.

I think the seahawks laid the groundwork for this line of thinking.

If I'm the Rams, I do NOT pay Goff. He's a system qb if I've ever seen one.

That staff doesn't need an all world qb, just one who will follow orders exactly.

McGruff

Reaction score
pehawk":39mt635r said:
getnasty":39mt635r said:
pehawk":39mt635r said:
getnasty":39mt635r said:

Its gonna be great. Unfortunately, McVay is a savant. But...that OL is very, very old. And it began wearing down late last season.

And Gurley is busted.

It's always been the case. You stop Gurley, you stop the Rams. That was proven pretty true late last year.

McGruff

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2hshgmq0 said:
getnasty":2hshgmq0 said:

Need a veteran defense to pull that off. And look at their losses and struggle games. Veteran defenses limited them.

It takes seasoned disciple to not fall for the sparkles.

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3cr10n5u said:
pehawk":3cr10n5u said:
getnasty":3cr10n5u said:
pehawk":3cr10n5u said:

And Gurley is busted.

It's always been the case. You stop Gurley, you stop the Rams. That was proven pretty true late last year.

Bastards drafted the best RB in the draft though. In my hack opinion.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Tho you are the first one I remember fronting this theory Pe, it’s been said over and over now.

We are just about to be at the point of fruition for your theory if it holds.

You have put in the time.

RedAlice

Reaction score
pehawk":1omazf6w said:
McGruff":1omazf6w said:
pehawk":1omazf6w said:
getnasty":1omazf6w said:

And Gurley is busted.

Bastards drafted the best RB in the draft though. In my hack opinion.

Yes they did.

RedAlice

Reaction score
As to the actual football comments, didn’t see anything other than over hashed Rams cliches.

Not going to waste my time debating things said that any uneducated media hack can spout.

Will discuss Rams here this season when the games start.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RedAlice":8fz1po0g said:
Tho you are the first one I remember fronting this theory Pe, it’s been said over and over now.

We are just about to be at the point of fruition for your theory if it holds.

You have put in the time.
Tical floated this idea when Wilson was still on his rookie deal.