NFL reportedly mulling asking the Chargers to move to London

Maulbert

Reaction score
:34853_doh:

The Athletic has learned through NFL sources that the possibility of the Chargers moving to London has been broached among league personnel. The Athletic also has learned that, while the team is fully committed to Los Angeles where it will move into the new $4.5 billion stadium with the Rams next year, the Chargers would at least listen if the NFL approached them about about London as a possible option.

Finally, The Athletic has learned that NFL owners are concerned enough about the Chargers’ situation in L.A., where a crowded sports market and the presence of the more established Rams has resulted in a tepid embracement [sic] of the Chargers, that they would provide the necessary support for a relocation to London if the Chargers pursue it.

This is a terrible idea suggested by greedy idiots. Putting the Chargers in Mexico makes more sense. Jesus, these people are idiots.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chargers-nfl-london-los-angeles-move-050456914.html

ZorntoLargent

Reaction score
Or put them in any other American city that wants an NFL franchise and is willing to build a new stadium.

chris98251

Reaction score
Trying to figure out how that would work, The Jaguars have first dibbs over there and would have to give it up, Kahn I think has been pumping it up a bit as well not to mention kind of slamming his fan base in a back handed way for not filling up the Jacksonville seats.

It would be brutal for team to be there, if they maintain the format that team would be flying here almost every other week, talk about season long jet lag going back and forth.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
chris98251":7x0c1bum said:
Trying to figure out how that would work, The Jaguars have first dibbs over there and would have to give it up, Kahn I think has been pumping it up a bit as well not to mention kind of slamming his fan base in a back handed way for not filling up the Jacksonville seats.

It would be brutal for team to be there, if they maintain the format that team would be flying here almost every other week, talk about season long jet lag going back and forth.

Khan invested way too much in upgrading Jacksonville's stadium for me to believe he'd just abandon the city. Besides, he hasn't been demanding anything of them.

chris98251

Reaction score
Maulbert":1qotz6b8 said:
chris98251":1qotz6b8 said:

Khan invested way too much in upgrading Jacksonville's stadium for me to believe he'd just abandon the city. Besides, he hasn't been demanding anything of them.

He is invested in some of the Soccer aspect at Wembley If I am not mistaken as well. Win win for him either way.

JGreen79

Reaction score
I think if it was going to work you would have to move 4 teams and have their own division over there. 8 if you want a division in both conferences. I nominate Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys, and Packers.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
ZorntoLargent":17oial2c said:
Or put them in any other American city that wants an NFL franchise and is willing to build a new stadium.
See here's the problem........there aren't any of those anymore. Taxpayers are not willing to fund billionaires' palaces by themselves. They'll kick in a portion, but that portion is a shrinking piece of the pie as well. For example, the Raiders' new stadium in Vegas was funded at 750 million from public funding and 1.1 billion by the Raiders and that's a city that is big league sports starved. I feel there isn't another city in the US that would even publicly fund at that level. Really where the Chargers and the idiot that owns the team Dean Spanos blew it was not being the guy to move to Vegas. San Diego wouldn't fund publicly at a level Spanos could afford and imo if Mark Davis could afford Vegas, Dean Spanos could have as well. Davis had to take out 650 mil in a loan from B of A for part of the Raiders portion and I think the Spanos family, while poor by NFL owner standards are still on firmer financial footing than Davis. I think ol' bowl cut was just the smarter businessman and now the Chargers are the team without a real home for who knows how long.

What other American city that doesn't have a team do you think would kick in 3/4 of a billion to say a full billion to fund a stadium for them?

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1ic88mal said:
ZorntoLargent":1ic88mal said:
See here's the problem........there aren't any of those anymore. Taxpayers are not willing to fund billionaires' palaces by themselves. They'll kick in a portion, but that portion is a shrinking piece of the pie as well. For example, the Raiders' new stadium in Vegas was funded at 750 million from public funding and 1.1 billion by the Raiders and that's a city that is big league sports starved. I feel there isn't another city in the US that would even publicly fund at that level. Really where the Chargers and the idiot that owns the team Dean Spanos blew it was not being the guy to move to Vegas. San Diego wouldn't fund publicly at a level Spanos could afford and imo if Mark Davis could afford Vegas, Dean Spanos could have as well. Davis had to take out 650 mil in a loan from B of A for part of the Raiders portion and I think the Spanos family, while poor by NFL owner standards are still on firmer financial footing than Davis. I think ol' bowl cut was just the smarter businessman and now the Chargers are the team without a real home for who knows how long.

What other American city that doesn't have a team do you think would kick in 3/4 of a billion to say a full billion to fund a stadium for them?

Part of the problem is the overpriced palaces these greedy owners are demanding. The Clink is regarded as a top 5 stadium by most accounts (Sporting News had us ranked 2nd this season to Lambeau: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...rom-worst-to-best/dky07jdst5w1mcy7cgsm7q6s/30), and was built ($430m) for less than 1/4 the cost of Kroenke's shrine ($1.8b) is. True, it costs more to build that in California, and 20 years of inflation is a thing, but you can't tell me that accounts for a cost increase of over $1.3 billion.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I can assure you that in California even revenue bonds are highly unpopular. People expect their stadium to be rebranded with whatever corporate shill, and they expect said corporates or others like them to get the job done.

After all, it happens multiple times a year with some hotel or planned condo community or FB/Google themselves coming in. Those are the types that can afford to go to a game around here, and the 99 percent who can't really don't want to help them. They're billionaires, we're not.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I'm now hearing the theory that the Rams floated the story to sell more PSLs and merch in LA than the Chargers.

Hey Deano, how's the move to LA working out for you? Must be awesome to be Kronke's red-headed step-child/bitch. Seen that new stadium the Raiders are getting in LV that they don't have to share with anybody? I have. It's a beauty.

chris98251

Reaction score
Raiders are going to make out fine, irony would be the Chargers end up in Oakland.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Why London? That's like way the hell across the ocean. Imagine getting drafted out of college and "surprise, you have to move to another continent!"

Just too many issues.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2kr2ilt7 said:
Get rid of Spanos. Put them back in San Diego where they belong.
Sure, that's absolutely what needs to happen. Problem is he's the owner. Unless the league pulls a coup on him like the NBA did with Donald Sterling, ain't going to happen man.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Maulbert":3sh2ptza said:
Part of the problem is the overpriced palaces these greedy owners are demanding. The Clink is regarded as a top 5 stadium by most accounts for less than 1/4 the cost of Kroenke's shrine ($1.8b) is. True, it costs more to build that in California, and 20 years of inflation is a thing, but you can't tell me that accounts for a cost increase of over $1.3 billion.

Taxpayers paid for 70% of the cost of the The Clink, and SoFi was privately financed.

If you what to compare those two stadiums, unlike Stan Kroenke, Paul Allen was a greedy owner making demands.

(TBF I don't actually believe this, and have no doubt that if Kroenke could have boondoggled the public like Allen did he would have jumped at the chance to do it oo :lol: )

GeekHawk

Reaction score
But the comment was about the price of the stadium overall, not the funding source. If you're trying to get in some sort of underhanded dig against Paul Allen, try starting with reading comprehension.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
GeekHawk":28ax3oyz said:
But the comment was about the price of the stadium overall, not the funding source. If you're trying to get in some sort of underhanded dig against Paul Allen, try starting with reading comprehension.
BINGO!
Ignore the troll. He is just trying to get attention by stirring shit up.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Popeyejones":26dmc7f3 said:
Maulbert":26dmc7f3 said:
Part of the problem is the overpriced palaces these greedy owners are demanding. The Clink is regarded as a top 5 stadium by most accounts for less than 1/4 the cost of Kroenke's shrine ($1.8b) is. True, it costs more to build that in California, and 20 years of inflation is a thing, but you can't tell me that accounts for a cost increase of over $1.3 billion.

Taxpayers paid for 70% of the cost of the The Clink, and SoFi was privately financed.

If you what to compare those two stadiums, unlike Stan Kroenke, Paul Allen was a greedy owner making demands.

(TBF I don't actually believe this, and have no doubt that if Kroenke could have boondoggled the public like Allen did he would have jumped at the chance to do it oo :lol: )

I wasn't talking about public funding. I was talking about the rising cost of stadiums, and the Clink is considered a top tier stadium for a fraction of what it costs these days. One of the reasons I supported the Rams move was that Kroenke was going to pay for his own stadium. Also, while it's true $300m of the Clink was paid by taxpayers, Paul Allen paid $130m plus all overruns, in addition to buying the team for $194m (which only happened because voters passed the stadium bond) from an unscrupulous fatass who wanted to hijack them. So Washington paid $300m to keep the team in Seattle, Paul Allen paid $324m plus overruns.

I might add, US Bank Stadium took $500+m in public funding, and Mercedes-Benz Stadium took an estimated $700m (despite the cap being set at $200m).