NFL to hold private Saturday workout for Kaepernick

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... in-atlanta

This is unprecedented. Why would the league itself host a private showing for one player who last played almost three years ago? Does this not single him out?

AFA Kaep's qb skills, yes I think he might still have enough in the tank to be a backup. He's not the only one who last played a while ago and/or isn't starter material. His SF backup Colt McCoy is still on a roster.

As far as the political stuff, I think most owners and fans don't care that much anymore what a player does on the sideline during the playing of the anthem, which is rarely televised. Most people don't care whether Eric Reid is/isn't kneeling before Panthers games. It's just an old story now.

So tl;dr skills-wise/disruption-wise I think Kaep could be a decent backup. He'd be looking at a cheap prove-it contract with little guaranteed money, but that's what other QB2s and 3s also get. It's weird though that the league itself is managing and marketing this event just for him, though.

Washington49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3mi8r5ws said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001076364/article/nfl-arranges-workout-for-colin-kaepernick-in-atlanta

This is unprecedented. Why would the league itself host a private showing for one player who last played almost three years ago? Does this not single him out?

AFA Kaep's qb skills, yes I think he might still have enough in the tank to be a backup. He's not the only one who last played a while ago and/or isn't starter material. His SF backup Colt McCoy is still on a roster.

As far as the political stuff, I think most owners and fans don't care that much anymore what a player does on the sideline during the playing of the anthem, which is rarely televised. Most people don't care whether Eric Reid is/isn't kneeling before Panthers games. It's just an old story now.

So tl;dr skills-wise/disruption-wise I think Kaep could be a decent backup. He'd be looking at a cheap prove-it contract with little guaranteed money, but that's what other QB2s and 3s also get. It's weird though that the league itself is managing and marketing this event just for him, though.

As a vet I can't stand the kneeling. As a QB he's better than a lot of starters right now in the league.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Teams like to avoid controversy, and his ability to be a headache off the field exceeded his production on the field. That's why no one wants him. As for the NFL setting up a workout, of course the league wants him signed. I never believed there was any collusion against him, it just didn't benefit the NFL. I find it completely believable that every team chose not to sign him independently.

rcaido

Reaction score
Washington49er":fyrv9yvd said:
SantaClaraHawk":fyrv9yvd said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001076364/article/nfl-arranges-workout-for-colin-kaepernick-in-atlanta

As a vet I can't stand the kneeling. As a QB he's better than a lot of starters right now in the league.

Why would someone kneeling bother you.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I get that teams abhor controversy--it's just that the kneeling itself isn't that controversial anymore. Like I said, no one knows/cares whether Reid's still kneeling at Charlotte. And no one batted an eye when Jerrah Jones told Michael Bennett that he'd have to stand for the anthem.

It could work out if both Kaep and any interested team choose to keep public comments to football.

chris98251

Reaction score
Still think this is a NFL face saving ploy, see what we did we gave him a chance.

Osprey

Reaction score
Didn’t the league host a Veteran / FA combine last year? Why not just do that again and invite Krappernick?

Osprey

Reaction score
Maulbert":2s9t03bs said:
Teams like to avoid controversy, and his ability to be a headache off the field exceeded his production on the field. That's why no one wants him. As for the NFL setting up a workout, of course the league wants him signed. I never believed there was any collusion against him, it just didn't benefit the NFL. I find it completely believable that every team chose not to sign him independently.
Exactly, consensus doesn’t equal collusion.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2tvyipf8 said:
Still think this is a NFL face saving ploy, see what we did we gave him a chance.

I thought you meant we, as in Seahawks, gave him a chance. We did in 2017 but reportedly asked him to promise not to kneel at the anthem. He wouldn't, so the workout was cancelled.

Anyone who did talk to him now would have to accept that he won't stand and work from there--agreeing that he stays in the locker room (like Bennett did with the Pats) or just letting him do it.

Curious that the workout's on a Saturday and that he's asking for a list of GM/high level FO who'll be at the meeting. The only teams not busy Saturday are those coming into a bye...the Titans, the Packers and us. The Pack is the only one with an unplayed rook at No. 2

getnasty

Reaction score
Maulbert":3lh8gqez said:

BINGO

bmorepunk

Reaction score
This may just be a way to give teams top cover to try him out since it's not just their team doing it, but that still doesn't kill possible backlash if anybody actually signed him.

Washington49er

Reaction score
rcaido":16aoazao said:
Washington49er":16aoazao said:
SantaClaraHawk":16aoazao said:

Because you kneel for the fallen and stand for the flag.

sutz

Reaction score
Washington49er":2767n3uy said:
rcaido":2767n3uy said:
Washington49er":2767n3uy said:
SantaClaraHawk":2767n3uy said:

Some of us veterans think we served to defend his right to kneel. :229031_shrug:

BTW, kneeling is a sign of respect, not the opposite.

kobebryant

Reaction score
He should already be on a roster. He's better than so many guys that have been in the league over the past few years.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Per Josina Anderson, Dallas is expected to go.

But Kaep has already tweeted that he's "looking forward to seeing the HCs and GMs" as he thinks this may be an elaborate PR stunt by the NFL. And it might be, but it provides him with what he's been demanding: An NFL workout.

ETA, Mike Freeman tweets this from a "team official" from NFC West

https://twitter.com/mikefreemanNFL/stat ... 8376085504

NFC West team official on the Kaepernick workout this weekend: “This entire thing is a sham. The NFL is full of shit. It’s a show. But he should do it because some of us are sincere. Some of us see him for what he is: a good man.”

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
sutz":32uxj3k5 said:
Washington49er":32uxj3k5 said:
rcaido":32uxj3k5 said:
Washington49er":32uxj3k5 said:

Some of us veterans think we served to defend his right to kneel. :229031_shrug:

BTW, kneeling is a sign of respect, not the opposite.

This is my take on it as well. Full disclosure: my father is a Canadian veteran.

Sitting on the bench & doing other things like nothing else is going on(this is what pissed Jim Kelly off in Buffalo a couple years ago) is totally disrespectful. Kneeling is respectful.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
First Take is running a Twitter poll: "Would you want Kaep on your team?"

57 percent say yes.

I argued for Kaep being on the Hawks back when Boykin's arrests started coming out. But we're good with Geno now. SF also has good backups. Rams just traded for Bortles. Cards mayyybe, but outside Fitzgerald, they're all in on the youth movement.

If anything happens, probably won't be in nfc west.