Greg Roman... Coach of the Year?

Fudwamper

Reaction score
As the subject line says should Greg Roman be coach of the year? Can he win coach of the year?

He has done an amazing job with the Ravens offense and Jackson. Its as if he has done something like this before and flourished. I googled some old articles about him and the 49ers and it is interesting to see that a lot of them are "is Roman holding them back". I don't listen/read a lot of sports talk so unsure if this is even a discussion any where.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
9ers fans gotta be salty over this, including the brat Cassie Baalke twittering, "Fire Roman!"

Everyone blamed him. Hmm, could it possibly have been bad coaching and player picks? It's not like there are teams clamoring for Baalke as GM after he got fired.

94Smith

Reaction score
I don't think a coordinator can be coach of the year? Only head coaches I thought?

94Smith

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":33xzmrfl said:
9ers fans gotta be salty over this, .

I don't think any of us care now that we have Shanahan. Roman kind of flamed out in Buffalo

Washington49er

Reaction score
94Smith":3bwuryfl said:
SantaClaraHawk":3bwuryfl said:

I don't think any of us care now that we have Shanahan. Roman kind of flamed out in Buffalo

Roman is too easily figured out. Running college offense only works when its new at the time. If it did work every NFL team would be running it.

getnasty

Reaction score
Yeah i see Lamar Jackson lasting about as long as Kap did, but if your Roman you might as well ride that wave.

OP
OP
F

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Washington49er":3qanticd said:
94Smith":3qanticd said:
SantaClaraHawk":3qanticd said:

Roman is too easily figured out. Running college offense only works when its new at the time. If it did work every NFL team would be running it.

I would counter if this is true, why is it working again? What is he doing differently this time around?
I do think Jackson is a better passer, but I don't know if by how much.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Fudwamper":1cy3d2kw said:
Washington49er":1cy3d2kw said:
94Smith":1cy3d2kw said:
SantaClaraHawk":1cy3d2kw said:

I would counter if this is true, why is it working again? What is he doing differently this time around?

They run Jackson a ton more. Kaep had way fewer run plays called for him.

Jackson is going to get nicked up big time. This won't last long and teams will remember why you don't want your QB running all the time. One minor sprained ankle and the O goes in the tank

Washington49er

Reaction score
Fudwamper":3q00wd2z said:
Washington49er":3q00wd2z said:
94Smith":3q00wd2z said:
SantaClaraHawk":3q00wd2z said:

He's changed it up a little. I think it's working because of LJ, sooner or later even he will be figured out. Already people are dissecting his game he runs or throws short passes, keep him contained and cover his down field options and he won't be as effective.

RW is a effective running QB because he can make the long throws after he evades the D long enough for the coverage to break down and for his receivers to get open. QB running like an RB is a disaster waiting to happen.

xray

Reaction score
Smellyman":1d8004nh said:
Fudwamper":1d8004nh said:
Washington49er":1d8004nh said:
94Smith":1d8004nh said:

Jackson is going to get nicked up big time. This won't last long and teams will remember why you don't want your QB running all the time. One minor sprained ankle and the O goes in the tank

Everybody said 7 years ago that Wilson wouldn't last being a scrambling QB...he hasn't missed a game yet ...but it could happen at anytime ...too many sacks will take its toll eventually . IMO

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Everyone has short memories.

The Ravens have been absolutely destroying people for the last month.

They were good, not great, for the two months of the season that came before that.

Greg Roman is and has always been a good run game coordinator, but there's an INCREDIBLY SMALL chance that the Ravens keep on doing what they've been this past month for the next two months (end of the season and through the playoffs).

That doesn't mean they don't win the SB this year, they very well might, but don't confuse the wild tear for the norm.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
xray":3bqwftib said:
Smellyman":3bqwftib said:
Fudwamper":3bqwftib said:
Washington49er":3bqwftib said:

Everybody said 7 years ago that Wilson wouldn't last being a scrambling QB...he hasn't missed a game yet ...but it could happen at anytime ...too many sacks will take its toll eventually . IMO
He didn't run the RO as much after 3 seasons and the reason is
simple (spies) that key on him just for that reason.
LJ will be finding that out very soon I am sure.

Smellyman

Reaction score
xray":23aha55m said:
Smellyman":23aha55m said:
Fudwamper":23aha55m said:
Washington49er":23aha55m said:

Everybody said that?

and it is much much different. They run plays for Jackson, inside/outside. he is a RB. The offenses are light years different.

Wilson was never that.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Yeah, the Wilson comparison is weird. Dude rarely takes a real hit, and with a few exceptions has been great at sliding or getting out of bounds from his first game. Wilson's legwork has been taking what is there and magic on scrambling, often with some insane throws at the end.

The best recent comparison I think of is RGIII. Those dudes are really close in size, and RGIII was running out like crazy. Until Haloti Ngata jacked him up when he should have went out of bounds, and then he hurt himself even worse against the Seahawks in the playoffs.

Running through the field as a QB is a bad deal over a long enough timeline. I've seen enough highlights of Jackson getting popped on a run to think things are going to likely end badly for him at some point. There was a play from that Rams game where he kept the ball on an option play then ran right up the middle into Brockers. There was another one not long after that when he ran past but then got tackled by Joseph-Day, again through the middle.

Hopefully dude keeps balling long enough to knock the Patriots out of the playoffs.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
WIlson was a QB who could scramble, who also kept the ball on read/options sometimes (pretty similar to Kaepernick in how he was used back then).

RGIII was a variant on that, except rather than being a package the read/option was the core identity of their offense, and Shanahan was scheming the pass game off of it too (for Wilson and Kaepernick the pass game was pretty divorced from the read/option).

Lamar Jackson is different. What they're doing with him is like if you took what Shanahan was doing with RGIII, and then went back before the read/option and took what the Dolphins were doing with the Wildcat, but running the Wildcat with an actual QB and branching pass plays off of both of those things with a bunch of RPOs thrown in too.

It's basically taking three big offensive innovations (at the NFL level) from the last decade and mashing them together into a coherent scheme in which they're all branching off of each other rather than being isolated packages that get trotted out sometimes.

It's impressive.

chris98251

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1yhst3zj said:
WIlson was a QB who could scramble, who also kept the ball on read/options sometimes (pretty similar to Kaepernick in how he was used back then).

RGIII was a variant on that, except rather than being a package the read/option was the core identity of their offense, and Shanahan was scheming the pass game off of it too (for Wilson and Kaepernick the pass game was pretty divorced from the read/option).

Lamar Jackson is different. What they're doing with him is like if you took what Shanahan was doing with RGIII, and then went back before the read/option and took what the Dolphins were doing with the Wildcat, but running the Wildcat with an actual QB and branching pass plays off of both of those things with a bunch of RPOs thrown in too.

It's basically taking three big offensive innovations (at the NFL level) from the last decade and mashing them together into a coherent scheme in which they're all branching off of each other rather than being isolated packages that get trotted out sometimes.

It's impressive.

RG III injured and almost ended his career.

Tannehill Injured a lot of his time in Miami.

Wilson injured but played thru it when we used the R.O. a lot Knee and ankle.

L.J. we will see but odds are against him.

NINEster

Reaction score
Popeyejones":14ntf2ia said:

It's impressive.

As a fan of the game, I agree.

You like to see variety of offensive schemes. The 2015 Panthers were using Cam a bit as an RB, wishbone formations too...pretty crazy.

If I was Roman, I wouldn't be emptying my load this early in the season with everything. I can't imagine there's much more in his arsenal than what has been put on film.

He should remember how Kap was held back until the playoffs, and then Green Bay had no answer for him.

At what point do you not trust Jackson as a real QB? Is he really the one read limited QB we saw in the playoffs last?

IMO they shoulda tanked the Patriots game, and perhaps the 49er game too, but alas I know they won't this weekend, so it will be fun to watch. :irishdrinkers:

94Smith

Reaction score
Wilson is a smaller target and runs smart. He runs out of bounds and slides, he rarely takes a big hit.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well the Cardinals are going to be without a QB next year, they want to model things around what the Ravens do with Jackson, Murray isn't no where near as big as Jackson and I am pretty sure will not hold up, especially in this division.