Our history in the league

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Sometimes it's easy to think of "your daddy's Seahawks" as a perpetually lousy team, but that's not really the reality. Yeah we had some of those years for sure, but when you really look at the record, we were one hell of a sucess story overall, posting winning records after just a few years of existence and making the playoffs just a few years in. We played the spoiler a lot, but earned a ton of respect in the league. Had we not landed in the talent packed AFC west for so many years, who knows how much further we may have gone?

I guess I'm an old codger because I grew up with the team. They became a team just prior to me taking an interest in the sport and of course as a kid, lack of playoff sucess made it feel like the team was a bunch of losers, but we did some amazing things. Just love watching these old films of some great teams earning NFL respect, if not making the playoffs.

Had a lot of fun watching these and a couple I posted in the MNF thread.

[youtube]wzj7dAsnhXE[/youtube]

[youtube]v7pmDmBqPy8[/youtube]

[youtube]m7zXLu5d7ZY[/youtube]

chris98251

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":1y93wgan said:
Sometimes it's easy to think of "your daddy's Seahawks" as a perpetually lousy team, but that's not really the reality. Yeah we had some of those years for sure, but when you really look at the record, we were one hell of a sucess story overall, posting winning records after just a few years of existence and making the playoffs just a few years in. We played the spoiler a lot, but earned a ton of respect in the league. Had we not landed in the talent packed AFC west for so many years, who knows how much further we may have gone?

I guess I'm an old codger because I grew up with the team. They became a team just prior to me taking an interest in the sport and of course as a kid, lack of playoff sucess made it feel like the team was a bunch of losers, but we did some amazing things. Just love watching these old films of some great teams earning NFL respect, if not making the playoffs.

Had a lot of fun watching these and a couple I posted in the MNF thread.

[youtube]wzj7dAsnhXE[/youtube]

[youtube]v7pmDmBqPy8[/youtube]

[youtube]m7zXLu5d7ZY[/youtube]

I keep bringing this up in various threads, we were the most successful expansion team ever, Jags and Panthers modeled their growth based on what we did as a Franchise.

We had the Behring years that was our worst run.

But from existence to then we won games and became a contender in what I would call the toughest division in football with every team a playoff type team and with legends on them looking back. Steelers, Bengals, Browns, Oilers may have been the only division to make an argument for it.

Maulbert

Reaction score
I've always said people calling the Seahawks a bad team historically is just foolish. Our problem is that we're historically mediocre. SBNation actually did a video ranking teams based on their historic volatility from 1987-2016. The Seahawks are actually one of the most historically consistent team in the NFL since their inception. They just went 9-7 or 7-9 A LOT. Have a look:

[youtube]wge7JK0JV0Q[/youtube]

schkoot

Reaction score
I was at that Hawks/Oilers game in 1988. Sooooo awesome! It wasn't my first Seahawks game, but it was the first where I fully understood what was going on, and what wins and losses meant for the season.

Thank you for rekindling my memories.