BUF @ DAL the most watched Thanksgiving game in 27 years

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-spo ... w?id=54073

It's also the most-watched of any regular season game in three years.

I think this proves that DAL gets eyeballs and attention. The national media/networks pick this up. DAL gets more seasonwide primetime, nonstop talk on sports media. People watch because regardless of their feelings toward DAL, the national drumbeat piques them enough to watch, or hate-watch.

James in PA

Reaction score
What a damn shame. They might not even make the playoffs and will still get a ton of prime time and nationally televised games next year. ESPN Radio might as well rename themselves Dallas Cowboys talk radio. The juicy storyline next year will be their new coach and if he finally get Dallas back to the promised land??

*Yawn*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Most NFL fans tune in to watch *allas lose, and loving what a dumpster fire that team is.

James in PA

Reaction score
Yes, but the NFL and the networks don’t care “why” people watch them. They only care that they draw huge ratings. Hey, I did my part on Thanksgiving. I hardly watched any of that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I definitely tuned in to hate-watch (or hate-listen in the second half on the way to dinner).

Thing is, though, networks don't care whether someone's watching or hate-watching. Even in markets where JAX/TEN was offered as an alternative, most people chose DAL/NE even though the majority probably hated one or both teams.

Dallas is in a weaksauce division, and as long as they're .500, they'll be a playoff contender, thus fueling the flames of why others must care.

chris98251

Reaction score
Thanksgiving only game on at the time, competitive game so more payed attention. Good games get viewers a lot more the blow outs, especially on Thanksgiving, as SH also said people love to see Dallas lose also so bonus viewership.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I watched Da Bills. Was there another team out there???

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Rumor is there was another team out there, but they tried and failed to mail it in after first quarter.

Rooting for the Bills through the home stretch. We talk about how WE'RE disrespected in the national media? The national media absolutely dumps on the Bills, now at 9-3. They're gonna be in the playoffs and hopefully will go far.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3ige09oe said:
Rumor is there was another team out there, but they tried and failed to mail it in after first quarter.

Rooting for the Bills through the home stretch. We talk about how WE'RE disrespected in the national media? The national media absolutely dumps on the Bills, now at 9-3. They're gonna be in the playoffs and hopefully will go far.

My Bills fan friend agrees with this message. Go Bills...from him.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I'll ask the chicken/egg question again........does Dallas get all this national pub because more people are interested in them than any other team or does the endless national coverage of them influence people to watch them more than any other team?

I'd love to see the media stop over-covering them and then see what their ratings look like. This from a proud hater of the franchise.

Oh and go Bills! Love seeing their success.

TreeRon

Reaction score
I'll bet the ratings for watching Skip Bayless explode on Monday were high as well. Personally I got more joy out of that.

HawkGA

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":27b90m36 said:

I dunno about go far. They'll be a wild card team and might over perform that status by winning in the wild card round. But round two would be against either the Patriots or the Ravens, so their great season will end there.

NINEster

Reaction score
This makes sense.

Cowboys despite being a bit middling are still a decent team, and the Prescott era has been on an uptick.

The Bills coming in at 8-3 were the best Cowboy opponent on Thanksgiving in a long time.

Panthers a few years ago blowing them out might have/should have been a better ratings matchup, but I could see why this game was tops.

And for once, Buffalo took care of business on big stage.

kidhawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2slpeb2b said:
https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-sports/releases/view?id=54073

I think this proves that DAL gets eyeballs and attention. The national media/networks pick this up. DAL gets more seasonwide primetime, nonstop talk on sports media. People watch because regardless of their feelings toward DAL, the national drumbeat piques them enough to watch, or hate-watch.

I don't think this really proves the point you are trying to make. Although I agree that the Cowboys are a ratings gold mine and always have been, they play on Thanksgiving every year, so this game being the highest rated in 27 years probably has some other reasons behind it than just being a Cowboys game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
*allas hasn’t done shiiiiittttttt for almost a quarter of a century.
No Super Bowls, no NFC championship games this century. All fluff and hype.

A lot of people hate the Cowboys and tune in to see them lose.

America’s team? My arse! America roots for a winner not a loser like the cowboys.

As much as I hate them, if there was an America’s team it would be the Cheatriots.

Jerruh is great at marketing, but is a crap GM.
Heck they don’t even have a home field advantage. Niner, Hawks, Greenbay fans, etc etc fill their stadium when said teams play there.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":1cnvv41r said:
SantaClaraHawk":1cnvv41r said:

I don't think this really proves the point you are trying to make. Although I agree that the Cowboys are a ratings gold mine and always have been, they play on Thanksgiving every year, so this game being the highest rated in 27 years probably has some other reasons behind it than just being a Cowboys game.

If true, you'd see the late game slot gain incrementally every year regardless of who was playing, and you'd also see the annual Lions game trending forward as they've played T-giving twice as long as the Cowboys.The early time slot is actually the most advantageous for people doing dinner things and offended when the TV is on during their sacred dinner.

I think far more likely it's that most people hate 'em in the way they don't TEN/JAX or CHI/DET. I myself feel that way and want to see them mathematically eliminated so that we, or even the 9ers, don't have to whoop them in the WC. I'd rather see the Eagles in it even if better than they now are.

I just hate giving Jerrah another opportunity to crow about how the hole in his stadium is so Gawd can watch Cowbuhs football, when in fact Gawd is neutral and most football fans empathize more with someone, or anyone, else.

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":7i4sxpld said:
kidhawk":7i4sxpld said:
SantaClaraHawk":7i4sxpld said:

If true, you'd see the late game slot gain incrementally every year regardless of who was playing, and you'd also see the annual Lions game trending forward as they've played T-giving twice as long as the Cowboys.The early time slot is actually the most advantageous for people doing dinner things and offended when the TV is on during their sacred dinner.

I think far more likely it's that most people hate 'em in the way they don't TEN/JAX or CHI/DET. I myself feel that way and want to see them mathematically eliminated so that we, or even the 9ers, don't have to whoop them in the WC. I'd rather see the Eagles in it even if better than they now are.

I just hate giving Jerrah another opportunity to crow about how the hole in his stadium is so Gawd can watch Cowbuhs football, when in fact Gawd is neutral and most football fans empathize more with someone, or anyone, else.

I tend to think that God needs a urinal and Jerry built one for him.