Burfict thinks some games are rigged

cymatica

Reaction score
https://truepundit.com/current-nfl-linebacker-on-suspension-drops-bomb-nfl-games-are-rigged/

“I honestly think some of the games are rigged,” Burfict said. “The refs pick and choose when they want to throw their flags. There are flags on every play. The refs determine the outcomes of games, so I just chose not to watch it for the most part.”

Whether true or not, why would the NFL allow the officiating to be so inconsistent and sloppy if they really cared about the integrity of the game? The tinfoil hat in me says bad officiating is a prefect cover for game steering.

Rat

Reaction score
Not surprising he would think that. No player in the league has earned the benefit of the doubt less.

chris98251

Reaction score
Doesn't matter who said it, with a Arizona player betting actually against his own team and now this with a week of it the NFL and gambling are now going to be looked at for fixing even more then before, especially with the inconsistent and blown officiating.

Remember protect the shield is their deal and this has put some tarnish on it, not 49er or Cowboy Trophy Tarnish but Tarnish.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Right message, wrong messenger.
The NFL has an officiating/rulebook/integrity problem of their own making.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
More players could logistically be betting other than this guy.

I bet with cash. Always have. If it works out, I get more cash from the window. If I were worried about any paper trail and won enough to invoke the tax window (this has never happened, the most I've ever won is about $100), I'd send my SO/adult child/friend to go get the cash, then give them enough in cash to cover taxes. I bet 99 percent of people would do the latter.

But this guy filled out a player's club application and told Caesars he was a "professional football player" on it. Caesars then informs the state gaming board who informed the NFL.

What happens in Vegas only stays in Vegas if you anonymize yourself. With cash.

xray

Reaction score
I'm a realist ; so knowing that the NFL is a huge sports business that thrives in the entertainment industry ; that is legal to place bets on the results . What could wrong with that scenario ?

olyfan63

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3vyk32y1 said:
More players could logistically be betting other than this guy.

I bet with cash. Always have. If it works out, I get more cash from the window. If I were worried about any paper trail and won enough to invoke the tax window (this has never happened, the most I've ever won is about $100), I'd send my SO/adult child/friend to go get the cash, then give them enough in cash to cover taxes. I bet 99 percent of people would do the latter.

But this guy filled out a player's club application and told Caesars he was a "professional football player" on it. Caesars then informs the state gaming board who informed the NFL.

What happens in Vegas only stays in Vegas if you anonymize yourself. With cash.

I like your thinking. I'm overdue to go to Vegas again anyway, and visit my son. And Burfict certainly isn't the brightest bulb in the fixture.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I dont think there is league mandated steering. It would not surprise me if there was a rogue ref or two betting on games and then doing their best to secure the outcome.

But i think the poor officiating is down to the fact that the job is really, really hard. I think some recency bias lends itself to the idea that this is some new thing, deriving from gambling interests or whatever. but the league has been reacting to the difficulty of and issues with officiating for decades now.

Its bad. but maybe that's just a product of the difficulty of the job. not sure what the answer is, but officiating in any sport is bad, especially now when we can slow it down to frames to see the play to a millisecond.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1wbggl4m said:
I dont think there is league mandated steering. It would not surprise me if there was a rogue ref or two betting on games and then doing their best to secure the outcome.

But i think the poor officiating is down to the fact that the job is really, really hard. I think some recency bias lends itself to the idea that this is some new thing, deriving from gambling interests or whatever. but the league has been reacting to the difficulty of and issues with officiating for decades now.

Its bad. but maybe that's just a product of the difficulty of the job. not sure what the answer is, but officiating in any sport is bad, especially now when we can slow it down to frames to see the play to a millisecond.
I think this is spot on. There is probably some bias with a few officials toward certain players, too, and I’m sure a few also automatically look out for the well being of the elite players and some of the popular veterans.

This is why I agree with Belicheat: all calls should be reviewable.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
After xl* any hawks fan that doubts this probably is the same fan that believes in things like Santa the Easter bunny and the tooth fairy.. the league has shown for a long time they steer the result.