The Hawks and 49ers have made history, together.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
It is kind of remarkable IMO to have 2 teams with a record this good this far along into the year. It's super rare and hard to believe.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":9mouwlwo said:
It is kind of remarkable IMO to have 2 teams with a record this good this far along into the year. It's super rare and hard to believe.

Well, it's not uncommon for 2 teams in the entire league, it is rarer for 2 teams in the same conference. It's nigh unheard of for 2 teams in the same division, because one usually feasts on the other.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
This is gross. Don't talk about the 49ers and Seahawks making anything together. Yuck. Sounds so dirty.

NINEster

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":d1le74dj said:
If we both win this weekend, would that be a first in the history of the NFL, I wonder?

At a certain point it has to be.

Even quoting from 1990 is far enough for me. Remember that it was 28 teams back then (26 prior to 1976), and that old format was a bit weird playoff wise. Also there were only 3 divisions per conference, with 5 teams being the norm, and one division being 4.

Someone pointed out that the 2013 season with Seattle finishing at 13-3 and San Francisco at 12-4 is oddly close to what people are predicting might be a clash of two 13-2 teams in week 17. However, that season Seattle shot out to a strong record real fast only to let the 49ers come close to tying it (something like 9-1 vs. 6-4).

I know you could look on paper and predict a 14-2 division winner and 13-3 runner up, but it just doesn't seem like it will happen...that's just so crazy.

13-3/12-4 could happen again, and might be what really goes down.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1d68j6m1 said:
If we both win this weekend, would that be a first in the history of the NFL, I wonder?

Well, the best record in NFL history for a team that missed the playoffs was 11-1-2 by the 1967 Baltimore Colts, who were tied for the best record in the NFL with the LA Rams, who won their division. Back then, only division winners made the playoffs, and Baltimore, who was undefeated until the final week of the season, went 0-1-1 against the Rams that season. So both teams had a final record of 11-1-2.

FlayvaMeister

Reaction score

Marvin49

Reaction score
FlayvaMeister":1gfwsy6t said:
Maulbert":1gfwsy6t said:
They are the first division mates to start 10-2 or better in the same season since the NFL expanded to the 12 team playoff format in 1990.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/12/3/20993123/seahawks-vikings-nfc-west-playoffs

Although the Rams IMO are suspect this season … the NFCW, has 3 teams above the .500 mark.
No other division in either conference, can make that claim.

The third place team in the NFC West would have a 1.5 game lead for first place in the NFC East.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":3gyk763p said:
The third place team in the NFC West would have a 1.5 game lead for first place in the NFC East.
That's a pathetic statistic, lol. I just trolled my friend who lives in Philly and who is a huge Eagles fan with that.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Last season the both the Chiefs and Chargers in the AFC West had good records. Not sure how their records flowed throughout the season. Wanna say the Chargers finished 12-4 and the Chiefs were maybe 13-3(?), but I don't really care to look it up. Back in the day the Hawks had a 12-4 record only to be a wild card team to the Broncos winning the division at 13-3. Hawks only had two losses going into the last two weeks of the season (then lost both of the last two games).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":26jl4t0o said:
Marvin49":26jl4t0o said:
That's a pathetic statistic, lol. I just trolled my friend who lives in Philly and who is a huge Eagles fan with that.

My Philly friend immediately replied to me saying he hopes the 49ers win the NFC West and that the NFC East is a 6-10 division winner so that he can read the salty tears from Seahawks fans about the grave injustice of it all.

Welp, he trumped me on that one.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
HawkGA":2esu5u42 said:
Last season the both the Chiefs and Chargers in the AFC West had good records. Not sure how their records flowed throughout the season. Wanna say the Chargers finished 12-4 and the Chiefs were maybe 13-3(?), but I don't really care to look it up. Back in the day the Hawks had a 12-4 record only to be a wild card team to the Broncos winning the division at 13-3. Hawks only had two losses going into the last two weeks of the season (then lost both of the last two games).

Both finished 12-4. The Chargers were 9-3 through 12 games.

schkoot

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1bvuvdpa said:
RolandDeschain":1bvuvdpa said:
Marvin49":1bvuvdpa said:

My Philly friend immediately replied to me saying he hopes the 49ers win the NFC West and that the NFC East is a 6-10 division winner so that he can read the salty tears from Seahawks fans about the grave injustice of it all.

Welp, he trumped me on that one.

There'd be no salty tears from me. As I said in another thread, seeding by overall record would make the NFL edge closer to something like the college football playoff, and that system sucks.

I will live with the outlier losing teams getting in with a better seeding vs devaluing conference play.