Players putting arms up looking for flags

cymatica

Reaction score
I can't stand this. Sometimes it's warranted, but I see it so much lately that it's just annoying now. I've seen at least a handful of plays this year where players could actually make a play if they didn't put their hands up during the play looking for a flag.

I don't remember seeing this hardly ever 10 to 15 years ago, it's gotten really bad lately

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Tharold Simon push off signals in sb49 comes to mind...you remember him...the next Sherman....

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
cymatica":3ctqv591 said:
I can't stand this. Sometimes it's warranted, but I see it so much lately that it's just annoying now. I've seen at least a handful of plays this year where players could actually make a play if they didn't put their hands up during the play looking for a flag.

I don't remember seeing this hardly ever 10 to 15 years ago, it's gotten really bad lately
Needs to be a 15 yard unsportsmanlike penalty. That would stop it quickly.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
If you flag them for throwing up their arms, they're just going to throw up their arms for the flag they got for throwing up their arms. It's solution beginning an endless cycle threatening to drown all players and spectators in a small sea of flags. We must not do this.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
How do you fix it? Easy, every time a player throws up their arms just DON'T throw a flag. :2thumbs:

xray

Reaction score
Mostly happens by players that are getting their asses kicked .

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Wrong. Plenty of players are dominant and still throw their hands up just about every time. This has been going on for many years. Mike Evans immediately comes to mind. He could have 10 catches for 100 plus and would still throw up his arms for a flag. Even if he pushes off half the time. He's just one of many. Watch Red Zone sometime, you'll see it all day.

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":m6ewmogh said:
Wrong. Plenty of players are dominant and still throw their hands up just about every time. This has been going on for many years. Mike Evans immediately comes to mind. He could have 10 catches for 100 plus and would still throw up his arms for a flag. Even if he pushes off half the time. He's just one of many. Watch Red Zone sometime, you'll see it all day.
Hey ; it's just a game ; financed by you and me ...you more than me...that's for sure ..

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
I think most of it is a by product of the underlying officiating issues that we all know are dominating storylines throughout the league. There are always going to be players looking for laundry. It's happening more now because the players are just as frustrated with the officials as the fans.

Address the officiating issue and this fades to an obscure nuisance.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":17va2vz5 said:
Wrong. Plenty of players are dominant and still throw their hands up just about every time.

I remember Jerry Rice doing it regularly in the late 80s and early 90s.

I have no idea when it started, but it was before 30-35 years ago. :lol:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Absolutely. Death, Taxes and WR's throwing their hands up looking for a flag. Michael Irvin was next level...…..