Vinitieri to IR, the Chase McLaughlin era has begun

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3pnh1xhs said:
https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/12/9/21002773/colts-kicker-adam-vinatieri-to-undergo-season-ending-knee-surgery

ETA:Vinitieri says he's getting the surgery now so he might be competitive next year: https://fox59.com/2019/12/09/adam-vinat ... areer/amp/

Mclaughlin was 5 months old when Vinatieri started his pro career. No one's got a position for a backup kicker on the 53 though realistically they'd probably let him work as a ST coaching assistant to mentor McLaughlin, and if the kid gets hurt he might be able to fill in a game.

Have fun with him kicking game winners down the tunnel instead of through the uprights.

:pukeface:

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
But that was still 75 percent on that one game. He was perfect afterward.

Gould is at about 65 percent.

Niners chatter is that the FG snap against the Saints was high and almost missed but Wish got it placed correctly. And this is the longsnapper that Gould supposedly likes.

It just seems like there's always another excuse for Gould, when his stat numbers are showing he's trending toward Brett Maher.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":36r2m02s said:
But that was still 75 percent on that one game. He was perfect afterward.

Gould is at about 65 percent.

Niners chatter is that the FG snap against the Saints was high and almost missed but Wish got it placed correctly. And this is the longsnapper that Gould supposedly likes.

It just seems like there's always another excuse for Gould, when his stat numbers are showing he's trending toward Brett Maher.

What people don't like about Chase is he chocked big time in the BIG MOMENT. Not only do you have to hit the regular kicks you have to hit the pressure kicks. He proved he was not up to the task.

Gould has struggled a lot this year. But he began the year with a backup long snapper and a backup holder and a badly strained quad that caused him to miss several games. He literally had guys off the street who were marginal scrubs doing the snap and hold. Sometimes they would muff the snap and hold. It was obvious on the film even. Also his bad quad injury weakened his leg and his kicks were short sometimes. Both the first string long snapper and holder are now back and in the lineup. You can really see the difference. Plus he had some games off to rest and heal the quad. Gould has been better lately and hit the New Orleans game winner. I don't think he has played great this year but in this case there are some REAL reasons. Also he and the kicking game as a whole have played better lately.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
So are we going to talk about the fact that the Colts needed a win on Sunday to stay in the playoff race but they lost by 3 after Chase McLaughlin missed a 45 yard kick in the 4th quarter? :lol:

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
Popeyejones":jafqv7ay said:
So are we going to talk about the fact that the Colts needed a win on Sunday to stay in the playoff race but they lost by 3 after Chase McLaughlin missed a 45 yard kick in the 4th quarter? :lol:

Well that does not surprise me at all. He can't hit pressure game winners. He can hit for you in the 1st quarter. But if it's the 4th quarter and a decent range to the FG he will miss. Count on it.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":19ngg2md said:
-Well that does not surprise me at all. He can't hit pressure game winners. He can hit for you in the 1st quarter. But if it's the 4th quarter and a decent range to the FG he will miss. Count on it.

I mean, I wouldn't go that far -- something happening twice doesn't make it a rule -- but I do think it points to what we already had some evidence for:

Rather than being a savior Chase McLaughlin is an undrafted free agent who has been cut by four teams so far this season, which kinda makes sense, given that just like on his fourth team, he just missed a fourth quarter game changing kick on his fifth team too.

It doesn't mean he can't stay in the league or anything, but trying to argue that the 9ers should have taken on 10 million in dead money to cut a Top 10 kicker in NFL history all for the privilege of getting to keep Chase McLaughlin just really strains credulity.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Robbie is just an oldish kicker who spent the last offseason braying about how "homesick" he was to get traded back to where he came from.

Do you see Sherm doing this? Sherm still lives near Seattle in the offseason. Did you hear this with Dawson, no, even though I saw his leg make a lot of the close games that you got to in order to lose to Seattle. But this guy who's not Sherm or Dawson got to do it.