40 sacks and counting

xray

Reaction score
We are watching another season of Wilson taking a beat down by opponents pass rush with no end in sight . As recently as this week ; Carroll has basically blamed Wilson for holding the ball too long . I call BS on that . Much more to it than that . IMO

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
A combination of him holding too long, Britt out, Ifedi not being very good and guards that are run blockers first and foremost.

Suggestion: move to the Net Nation Fab Forum since it's about the Hawks?

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1kmv87c5 said:
10-3.
And counting...…...
And STILL ALWAYS one bad sack away from no Russell and a 10-6 finish. We have to protect Wilson better. There is REALLY no argument against that fact, is there? :34853_doh:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Or you could enjoy what has been a really fun season. Everyone knows the O Line sucks, worrying about it every week isn't going to change a thing. You could say this same stuff about ANY Quarterback in the league. Protect him or he's gonna' get hurt. He has never missed a game, until he does, why freak out about it?

10-3, and loving every minute of it. But hey, fan how you want. I just will never understand the doom and gloom crap. And some people ONLY post negative crap. Every single day...…….

Osprey

Reaction score
Not all sacks are equal. Huge difference between a blindside snotknocker and giving yourself up behind the line of scrimmage. I haven't seen a lot of hard sacks this year that made me worried for his health.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3ivm9s67 said:
Or you could enjoy what has been a really fun season. Everyone knows the O Line sucks, worrying about it every week isn't going to change a thing. You could say this same stuff about ANY Quarterback in the league. Protect him or he's gonna' get hurt. He has never missed a game, until he does, why freak out about it?

10-3, and loving every minute of it. But hey, fan how you want. I just will never understand the doom and gloom crap. And some people ONLY post negative crap. Every single day...…….

Not many QBs have taken as many sacks has Wilson year after year after year . You have no problem with that ? There are 3 games left. Panthers have the 2nd best pass rush in the league...AZ have Chandler and Suggs...the sack brothers...and then last but not least SF . Wilson's sack record is 51 ...that record might get broke this season . But of course that doesn't matter ; because Wilson is made of steel and never missed a game . Some fans stay 12 years old forever I suppose .

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
xray":iy3ijb4o said:
SoulfishHawk":iy3ijb4o said:

Not many QBs have taken as many sacks has Wilson year after year after year . You have no problem with that ? There are 3 games left. Panthers have the 2nd best pass rush in the league...AZ have Chandler and Suggs...the sack brothers...and then last but not least SF . Wilson's sack record is 51 ...that record might get broke this season . But of course that doesn't matter ; because Wilson is made of steel and never missed a game . Some fans stay 12 years old forever I suppose .
So you make a great argument for your point and then lower yourself to that last sentence. SMDH

ivotuk

Reaction score
xray":19wtnbqq said:
SoulfishHawk":19wtnbqq said:
Panthers have the 2nd best pass rush in the league...AZ have Chandler and Suggs...the sack brothers...and then last but not least SF .

A lot of the teams with high sack numbers have poor season records.

I'd like to see fewer sacks also, but it's the nature of our QB, game plan (rush centric linemen), and playing in a division that has a LOT of elite pass rushers. SF has what? 4 1st rounders on their DLine? AZ picks high every year, and the Rams have Aaron Donald, who even if he doesn't get there, takes up blockers so his team mates can get there.

getnasty

Reaction score
Since Russ has enter the league the Seahawks have always been in the bottom half of the league in sacks given up.

There's been a ton of change between personnel, OL coachs, QB coachs, and OC's but the one consistent is Russ. He holds the ball to long, sometimes it turns into a big play sometimes it turns into a sack. Sure the OL is mediocre but Russ does them no favors in the stat department.

The Seahawks give up 3.1 sacks per game, i'd say about half a sack if not more falls on Russ just trying to make something out of nothing. If Russ just eliminated a half a sack a game there middle of the pack. The Hawks are also really good (Top 5 in the league) at protecting Russ as home and horrible(bottom 5) on the road yet are record is better away then home.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
There wasn't enough room in the main forum for Seahawk's threads?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1i9v8su9 said:
There wasn't enough room in the main forum for Seahawk's threads?
:lol: this thread is like a redux from every year RW has been there.
My take is the same..He creates his own sacks at least 1/4 of the time.
When off script you cannot be blaming OL too much and as PC says
"get rid of the ball".

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":154zwc86 said:
SoulfishHawk":154zwc86 said:
10-3.
And counting...…...
And STILL ALWAYS one bad sack away from no Russell and a 10-6 finish. We have to protect Wilson better. There is REALLY no argument against that fact, is there? :34853_doh:
Russ could have the best line in the NFL and he'd still take 30 sacks with this offense mixed with his own personal style. Pete loves long developing routes, and Russ loves pushing the limits of how long he can hold the ball to let plays develop further. Earlier in the season Wilson didn't take nearly as many sacks when we were running more of a quick hitting offense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Other than being misquoted above (that wasn't me that said what was quoted about AZ, SF and the Panthers) :D

I don't mind being called a 12 year old who is way too positive about the team. Been called a lot worse. Cool, beats being a miserable grumpy old man who has nothing but negative takes every single day. Of course everyone worries about Russ getting hurt behind that line. But to dwell on something every single week that we have all been seeing for years? Just seems like a waste of energy. We ALL hold our collective breath every time he gets drilled back there. It flat out sucks.
Not even worth the effort talking to xray. Go Hawks.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":k19zarhj said:
Russ could have the best line in the NFL and he'd still take 30 sacks with this offense mixed with his own personal style. Pete loves long developing routes, and Russ loves pushing the limits of how long he can hold the ball to let plays develop further. Earlier in the season Wilson didn't take nearly as many sacks when we were running more of a quick hitting offense.
This

I would hope within the next 4-5 years we'll see a change in offensive approach to a more "quick hitting" style as you put it to keep him healthy as he ages. That may coincide with a Pete retirement. If not, I do hope Pete is flexible enough to consider Russ' advancing age.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It is beyond maddening that they don't use the quick hitting offense more. Especially behind this line. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like that will change. But, they did it in the Niners game and it helped big time.
I love Pete as a coach, but as we have all talked about over and over again, the unwillingness to adjust sometimes is hard to watch. I guess that's what Vodka is for. You scream at the tv to actually change it up...….but nada.
Russ and that offense is clearly capable of a quick passing game. DK, Lock and Gordon all can get it done imo. Shoot, they did some up tempo stuff against Philly that was working well, would love to see more of it. Lord knows the Rams killed us with up tempo.

justafan

Reaction score
There has to be more to the gameplan than Pete and Schotty dont like quick passing. They dont make up the plan in a vaccuum then spring it on Wilson. I am sure he has input. QBs like Manning and Brady all had a say so in the plan. If Wilson wanted more short stuff he would be hammering the table for it. My gut feeling is Wilson doesnt like throwing it short in the middle of the field as much as we want to see it. None of us will really know I guess.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Wilson is the best deep ball thrower in the league and like Rodgers, he has a habit of passing over the short or intermediate routes in favor of the deep routes.

Given his ability as a deep ball thrower, I think of that as much more of a feature than as a bug.

But that same feature also means that if he's playing smart (and he has been this year), he's just going to take more sacks than other QBs.

He's always going to take more sacks than other QBs for two reasons:

(1) The Seahawks are a run-first power-run team, and the lineman that fit that scheme are almost always going to be better in run blocking than pass blocking. If you want pass-blocking O-lineman run a lot of outside zone (the agility and lightness in the ass helps with both), but that's just not how the Seahawks have constructed their offense.

(2) Because Wilson focuses on the deep ball and minimizes turnovers, he's at a point in his career where he's also just taking sacks strategically, as he should. He still gets out of the pocket and throws the ball away when needed (as he should), but he's not taking those 15 yard back breaking sacks where he's moving backwards because he can't get outside of the tackle box to throw the ball away. Instead, if he can't get out of the tackle box to the throw the ball away he just takes the sack, which in the grand scheme of things, I think is VERY preferable to throwing up-for-grabs balls into the secondary because you're feeling rushed. Heck, one of the IMPROVEMENTS Jimmy Garoppolo has made over this year is that he's starting to strategically take sacks instead of trying to force passes into tight coverage.

If you want a Brees style QB who is diagnosing disguised coverages within a half second after the snap and who is manipulating the pocket from within it to create throwing lanes all while carving up defenses on short and intermediate passes that come out in under 3 seconds all the way down the field Russell Wilson is just not your guy. The Seahawks aren't designed to do that, and that's not playing to WIlson's strengths either.

If you want big chunk plays off of play action and scramble drills that break all of a defense's coverage rules after you've worn them down with multiple power runs then Russell Wilson is the QB you want. It is what he excels at and what he does. It's going to cost you sacks to get that, though. The alternative is that it costs you turnovers, and sacks are definitely preferable to turnovers.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":8029fjef said:
Other than being misquoted above (that wasn't me that said what was quoted about AZ, SF and the Panthers) :D

I don't mind being called a 12 year old who is way too positive about the team. Been called a lot worse. Cool, beats being a miserable grumpy old man who has nothing but negative takes every single day. Of course everyone worries about Russ getting hurt behind that line. But to dwell on something every single week that we have all been seeing for years? Just seems like a waste of energy. We ALL hold our collective breath every time he gets drilled back there. It flat out sucks.
Not even worth the effort talking to xray. Go Hawks.

Then please don't talk to me...PLEASE... :!: :!: :!: :0190l:

cymatica

Reaction score
If Wilson prefers deep routes and holding the ball, then it is the job of coaches to drill it into him to take what's there and develop gameplans using more short intermediate routes.