49ers DL coach Kris Kocurek

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Something I've been wondering, how much of the 49ers defensive success is due to the hiring of Kocurek rather than Saleh?

I mean, Saleh deserves credit, he's the one calling the plays, but Saleh was there last year and they weren't nearly as good, with similar players.

I gotta think some teams are going to look at Kocurek and try to pry him away and make him a DC, and if that happens, how much would it affect the 9ers D? Saleh will most likely get hired as a HC before Kocurek gets a chance to advance with another team, and the 9ers would promote him to DC.

So my question is for 9er fans, how do you compare Kocurek & Saleh? Who would be a bigger loss? Who do you credit more for the 9ers defensive success?

Marvin49

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":3jwtexb7 said:
Something I've been wondering, how much of the 49ers defensive success is due to the hiring of Kocurek rather than Saleh?

I mean, Saleh deserves credit, he's the one calling the plays, but Saleh was there last year and they weren't nearly as good, with similar players.

I gotta think some teams are going to look at Kocurek and try to pry him away and make him a DC, and if that happens, how much would it affect the 9ers D? Saleh will most likely get hired as a HC before Kocurek gets a chance to advance with another team, and the 9ers would promote him to DC.

So my question is for 9er fans, how do you compare Kocurek & Saleh? Who would be a bigger loss? Who do you credit more for the 9ers defensive success?

Sooooo....

I honestly don't think Saleh will go anywhere for awhile. Main reason being that most teams are going the young OC rout, not DCs in this system and the history of DC in that system becoming HCs isn't very good. Bradley was fired and Quinn likely to be.

I like Saleh, but I dunno if he'll be as in demand as some think. Niner fans wanted him out of town as recently as last year.

Kocurek? I dunno...I don't think he'll be more than a D-Line coach. For some guys, its just what they do best. Bobby Turner for example will always be a RB coach. Jim Tomsula should never have been more than a D-Line coach.

Kocurek brought the Wide 9 formation that is partially responsible for both the pass rush and the problems in run D.

I also think Bosa and Ford have made a sizeable difference as has an Arik Armstead who has finally been able to remain healthy so far.

sdog1981

Reaction score
They have drafted three D-linemen in the top 10 picks 2 out of 4 years those picks were in the top 5. They then drafted two more D-linemen in the top 20 picks the other 2 years. They then traded a second-round pick for Dee Ford. The team invested a massive amount of draft capital in the Dline and that is what is paying off.

Marvin49

Reaction score
sdog1981":2hms7mja said:
They have drafted three D-linemen in the top 10 picks 2 out of 4 years those picks were in the top 5. They then drafted two more D-linemen in the top 20 picks the other 2 years. They then traded a second-round pick for Dee Ford. The team invested a massive amount of draft capital in the Dline and that is what is paying off.

Actually 3 top 10 (Buckner, Thomas, Bosa), ONE top 20 (Armstead), and traded for Dee Ford who was originally a 1st round pick by the Chiefs.

...all of that and what might kill them is losing DJ Jones, a 6th round pick and probably the teams best and only real run defender.

Thomas looks to be a total bust BTW. That initial 1st round by Lynch (Thomas/Foster) would really hurt if they didn't also take Kittle in round 5 (no explanation necessary), DJ Jones in round 6 (best 49er D-Lineman nobody seems to know about, now out for season) , Witherspoon in round 3 (really turned a corner this year...tho had trouble with Julio Jones on Sunday) and Trent Taylor in round 5 (looks like a pretty good slot receiver if he can ever stay on the field).

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
DJ Jones is a hurge loss, but the improvement is because of the defensive line, and guys like Armstead are crediting Kocurek for their improvement.

But the realty is, adding Ford and Bosa, and getting back guys like Taylor has helped. Likewise, losing people like Blair and Jones, and linebacker Kwon Alexander has crushed this defense.

sdog1981

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1k86rooq said:
DJ Jones is a hurge loss, but the improvement is because of the defensive line, and guys like Armstead are crediting Kocurek for their improvement.

But the realty is, adding Ford and Bosa, and getting back guys like Taylor has helped. Likewise, losing people like Blair and Jones, and linebacker Kwon Alexander has crushed this defense.

Solomon Thomas as a rotation guy is looking pretty good right now. Kind of sucks for a top 3 pick, but if a guy can contribute for your team then the picks is not completely wasted.

SF49r

Reaction score
I believe Joe Woods is a huge hire as our DB coach/passing game coordinator and a big contributor to this #1 pass defense. We run a lot more complex zone schemes and he got the most out of our young DBs, guys like Witherspoon, Jimmie Ward, Emmanuel Mosely, and Jaqusiki Tartt, Sherman is a big help with the veteran presence on the field too. Saleh before Joe Woods came along was terrible with our secondary and didn't adapt much when teams were passing all over us the last few years, hes great with getting the most out of the linebackers considering he used to be a LB coach. Kris Kocurek was huge for the d-line as well, guys like Armstead, DJ Jones, Sheldon Day have taken it to the next level with his coaching. Saleh was way average before the hirings of Kris Kocurek and Joe Woods, overrated DC IMO.

Marvin49

Reaction score
sdog1981":26vam34h said:
5_Golden_Rings":26vam34h said:

Solomon Thomas as a rotation guy is looking pretty good right now. Kind of sucks for a top 3 pick, but if a guy can contribute for your team then the picks is not completely wasted.

Respectfully disagree.

He's in the rotation, but he is largely invisible. He just LOOKS like he should be really good. He's quick, he's fast....but man he just never does ANYTHING.

Maybe at some point he puts it together, but right now there a number of other guys I'd rather have in the game, like Jullian Taylor when he gets Healthy. Taylor and DJ Jones are the only 300 lb D-Linemen on the team.

rlkats

Reaction score
I am still not impressed with Salad ( on purpose). I honestly believe the 1st round pics across the board on the D-Line and Kocurek is completely responsible for the improvements. Salad is crap at adjusting when his big time starters are down.

rlkats

Reaction score
SF49r":2x2caqgx said:
I believe Joe Woods is a huge hire as our DB coach/passing game coordinator and a big contributor to this #1 pass defense. We run a lot more complex zone schemes and he got the most out of our young DBs, guys like Witherspoon, Jimmie Ward, Emmanuel Mosely, and Jaqusiki Tartt, Sherman is a big help with the veteran presence on the field too. Saleh before Joe Woods came along was terrible with our secondary and didn't adapt much when teams were passing all over us the last few years, hes great with getting the most out of the linebackers considering he used to be a LB coach. Kris Kocurek was huge for the d-line as well, guys like Armstead, DJ Jones, Sheldon Day have taken it to the next level with his coaching. Saleh was way average before the hirings of Kris Kocurek and Joe Woods, overrated DC IMO.

Kris Kocurek and Joe Woods, overrated DC IMO.[/quote][/i][/u][/b]

Completely agree

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Solly's like our LJ Collier.

Lots of fans bristle about LJ not "having a chance." BS, he's been in several games now with no stat line. From what I understand, little ST play either. We're severely banged up and the other 2s have been out there contributing.

All a first-round talent represents is what they did in college versus showing it on an NFL field. If they're undercontributing inside of a year or better two, it really doesn't matter that they won in college any more than HS or PeeWee.