Richard Sherman won

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
Negotiated his own contract and it paid off handsomely.

Is also on one of the best teams in the league.

Smart guy.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Richard's extremely smart.

Everyone here is saying he'll get another contract. Possibly though 2023, when he'd be 35.

After that, it's hoped that he'll join the coaching staff. He could go far.

It's sad that the latter can't happen in Seattle.

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
He did really well. People made fun of his contract. But he met most of the incentives. Now he has the salary permanently increased, bonus met, and contract guaranteed for among other things making the Pro Bowl, being healthy enough to start X games and so on. He basically met most or all of them. So he gets a lot more money and guaranteed money.

But was there any doubt really? As long as he could stay healthy he would meet the conditions. He's a great player. Always has been.

OP
OP
S

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":3imln20w said:
He did really well. People made fun of his contract. But he met most of the incentives. Now he has the salary permanently increased, bonus met, and contract guaranteed for among other things making the Pro Bowl, being healthy enough to start X games and so on. He basically met most or all of them. So he gets a lot more money and guaranteed money.

But was there any doubt really? As long as he could stay healthy he would meet the conditions. He's a great player. Always has been.

There was plenty of doubt....especially from Seahawk fans. Or maybe it was more hoping he wouldn't, who knows.

chris98251

Reaction score
His age and the Achilles injury were risks by most standards, Sherman has some of the most focused drive you can imagine in a player of his generation for himself and to prove others wrong, something we sorely miss from his days here.

Additionally we had just been through a few second injuries here in Seattle so the rolling the dice again on a high salary with Wilson coming up and Wagner was just outside the window of options.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":14gcle0n said:
His age and the Achilles injury were risks by most standards, Sherman has some of the most focused drive you can imagine in a player of his generation for himself and to prove others wrong, something we sorely miss from his days here.

Additionally we had just been through a few second injuries here in Seattle so the rolling the dice again on a high salary with Wilson coming up and Wagner was just outside the window of options.
Exactly..
We get screwed enough with injuries big time like with Kam for example.
Sherm was and is past his prime..Why take more risks?It was smart not
to..He proved he can still play but with our DL he'd have been worn out.

Osprey

Reaction score
chris98251":o84odv57 said:

You can’t ignore the attitude factor either. Sherm had reached the point that he was a net negative to team morale. (Not dumping that solely on him, a variety of factors contributed)

Given his personality type I’m sure being in SF provided him a channel to funnel the energy that never would have happened in Seattle. Glad it worked out for him even if it’s with a rival.

rlkats

Reaction score
One cool thing that made his contract possible was his wife. I guess the negotiations were stalled and it was his wife that had the idea of the pay increase if he makes the pro bowl. Smart woman also. This was according to an interview I read

ivotuk

Reaction score
I'm happy for him. But his arrogance got him run out of Seattle. He put himself above the team and caused "dissension in the ranks.". Ignored his Head Coach, refused too apologize to the media (even privately) for calling them out, and his attitude wasn't improving. So Pete did what he had to do to "Protect the Team."

Having said that, I wish he was still here, but he made that impossible. Glad to see him succeed, and appreciative of everything he did for this team, and this fan base.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
He's lucky he's been able to bounce back because, IMO, it's still a bad contract for anyone that considers themself a top CB in the league. 49ers are still the winners on that deal. Meeting all of his incentives this year netted him somewhere around $13MM this season which definitely helps, but that barely cracks top 10 CB salary in 2019.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":18ltnlud said:
He's lucky he's been able to bounce back because, IMO, it's still a bad contract for anyone that considers themself a top CB in the league. 49ers are still the winners on that deal. Meeting all of his incentives this year netted him somewhere around $13MM this season which definitely helps, but that barely cracks top 10 CB salary in 2019.

It netted him 14 million and the top ten paid CBs this year had an average salary of....14 million.

It doesn't barely crack the top 10 at all.

Tenth this year is Chris Harris at 11.9 million.

Sherman's deal this year puts him at #6.

So at the end of the day for this year at least the 9ers got a Top 3 CB or so at a Top 6 CB price.

I think you're gonna be really hard pressed to find a deal that's more fair for both sides than that, TBH (particularly for a 30+ QB coming off of a major injury).

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Do you mind sharing where you're getting your numbers? Almost everything I've seen has him at $13MM this year.

Anyway, I still think it was a bad contract. $3MM originally guaranteed, heavily bonus/incentive laden. He missed out on $3MM last year (should have been $4MM, but it appears the 9ers are throwing him a bone for not hitting 90% of defensive snaps both last year and this year), and it required him to meet all incentives to hit $13MM this year. Luckily for him, his base salary will raise next year, but he's still going to be out of the top 5 paid CBs (and likely further down after this offseason's signings).

Sherm will claim that he bet on himself and he "won" that bet, and while he did hit his incentives to make good money, I'm not sure that he "won." An agent could have (a BIG COULD HAVE, cause we'll never know) got him more guaranteed money, could have been structured differently, etc. He campaigns against using agents when an agent gets at most 3% of a salary... he lost more money last year than an agent would have made off his entire contract. Then you look forward and see the contract will only escalate by $1-2MM... Just my opinion, but I think it was a bad contract.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Ahhh I think I see where you're getting $14MM now. I assume it's the Per Game Roster Bonus up to $2MM.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah. Sorry.

Running out the door but CB pay for this year was from Over The Cap or Spotrac (I don't remember which one I went to -- the one where it was easier to convert from APY to 2019 pay).

14 million was from all the reporting. I'm guessing the discrepancy of 1 million is the snap % bonus. He needed 90% of snaps to get that bonus and had 87.5% and they gave it to him anyway because that was obviously the right thing to do.

I think the deal worked out for both sides, which rarely happens, but fully agree to disagree on that (totally a matter of opinion, of course) :2thumbs:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":7jqfimxs said:
^^^ Yeah. Sorry.

Running out the door but CB pay for this year was from Over The Cap or Spotrac (I don't remember which one I went to -- the one where it was easier to convert from APY to 2019 pay).

14 million was from all the reporting. I'm guessing the discrepancy of 1 million is the snap % bonus. He needed 90% of snaps to get that bonus and had 87.5% and they gave it to him anyway because that was obviously the right thing to do.

I think the deal worked out for both sides, which rarely happens, but fully agree to disagree on that (totally a matter of opinion, of course) :2thumbs:

Popeye,

Do you think the 9ers pay him next year?

If I were them, I'd lock him in with a bonus-laden contract through 2023, especially as you guys took on the risk in getting him healthy. Even if he gets hurt again, he's now a major--and effective--PR voice for you guys. He's coaching young players. He more than anyone else could transition seamlessly to a staff role.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":d41u0fuc said:
Negotiated his own contract and it paid off handsomely.

Is also on one of the best teams in the league.

Smart guy.

How is accepting an incentive laden deal smart?

Richard's acting like it was HIS choice that he accepted a lowball guarantee contract with a bunch of incentives. He didn't have a choice.

He was coming off a major injury and no one was willing to give him a big guarantee contract, if someone did, he would have taken it.

So I guess congrats on being your own agent and accepting a run of the mill lowball guaranteed money contract with a bunch of incentives you met? But dude's acting like this was his plan, and how everyone should praise him.

You took the ONLY deal you could get, and met most of your incentives. Which btw after meeting all of them still made you the 20th highest paid CB in the league or whatever. So why again did Richard win?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I guess he won because people still want to continue to dwell on a guy who hasn't played here in 2 years.

Go Hawks

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":yiw4iscz said:
Popeyejones":yiw4iscz said:
^^^ Yeah. Sorry.

Popeye,

Do you think the 9ers pay him next year?

If I were them, I'd lock him in with a bonus-laden contract through 2023, especially as you guys took on the risk in getting him healthy. Even if he gets hurt again, he's now a major--and effective--PR voice for you guys. He's coaching young players. He more than anyone else could transition seamlessly to a staff role.

Oooh, no idea.

They'll be cash strapped but they LOVE him.

The hangup is that he's in line behind Kittle and Buckner (they're not going to start allocating beyond next year until they know how these two slot in long term) so what happens with him this summer kind of depends on what happens with them this summer.

I'd guess it gets done though? They'll certainly offer I think but maybe not what Sherman wants (see Staley's extension which IIRC was pretty below market)