Rams let Wade Phillips go.

Jville

Reaction score
I hear Kris Richard is available. :229031_shrug:

kobebryant

Reaction score
Jville":1yb2n8rc said:

Did the Cowboys fire their defensive staff too? I hadn't heard one way or the other. There are some good coaches on that side of the ball in Dallas.

Jville

Reaction score
kobebryant":6497yal3 said:
Jville":6497yal3 said:

Did the Cowboys fire their defensive staff too? I hadn't heard one way or the other. There are some good coaches on that side of the ball in Dallas.

My understanding is that the whole defensive staff was let go.

Dallas is rumored to be zeroing in on Mike Nolan as their next defensive coordinator.

So if true, the Saints will be losing their linebacker coach.

[urltargetblank]https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/01/06/dallas-cowboys-next-defensive-coordinator-saints-mike-nolan/[/urltargetblank]

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Wade Phillips is great at turning around defenses. The effect doesn't last more than 2 seasons, based on the last couple of stops he has had.

knownone

Reaction score
Is this serious? The Rams have had stacked defenses and Wade's unit has ranked in the bottom half of the league in 2 out of 3 season, and his best season they finished 12th. He's been a great DC historically, but he's been average to bad the last couple.

Washington49er

Reaction score
knownone":1qul045z said:
Is this serious? The Rams have had stacked defenses and Wade's unit has ranked in the bottom half of the league in 2 out of 3 season, and his best season they finished 12th. He's been a great DC historically, but he's been average to bad the last couple.

Rams implosion continues

HawkStrong

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2ig2ost5 said:
I wouldn’t mind Wade Phillips here as a DC.
Head coach NO, DC yes!

Considering he runs a 3-4, doubt we would ever see him her while PC is still around.

xray

Reaction score
evolution always does some pruning . trying to be thoughtful :D

rlkats

Reaction score
Wow the DC was not the issue with the Rams. I'd say it was

Goof I meant Goff

ivotuk

Reaction score
HawkStrong":1sd2sgsz said:
Wade Phillips is great at turning around defenses. The effect doesn't last more than 2 seasons, based on the last couple of stops he has had.

This is pretty much his story. I think he simplifies his defense, so when new, the players do well, then it either goes stale, or he tries to make it more complicated and screws the pooch.

chris98251

Reaction score
They are talking about keeping Richard and Kellen Moore in Dallas if Richard does not get a Head Coach gig.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
HawkStrong":q6ou2e9t said:
Sports Hernia":q6ou2e9t said:
I wouldn’t mind Wade Phillips here as a DC.
Head coach NO, DC yes!

Considering he runs a 3-4, doubt we would ever see him her while PC is still around.
You are correct on both counts.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score

Ramfan128

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2wfrb2gq said:
Really surprised by this. McVey and Snead looking for a fall guy? Ramfan128 what say you?

I don't think so. They both got extensions before this season so no need for a fall guy IMO.

I think letting Wade and Bones (very good ST coordinator) go was about two things:

Accountability for under performing
McVay having them as training wheels while he learned to be a HC

I have mixed feelings on our defense - last season they were great despite the bad rankings in some categories (run defense) - they were extremely clutch, including being flat out dominant in the playoffs and playing the Patriots better than any other defense has in a Super Bowl. This year there were the clunkers - Bucs, Ravens, and Cowboys - but the offense was also pretty bad in those games (lots of points and yards eventually in the Bucs game but two Goff INTs let it get to 21-0).

I think it's more about the under performing part, and more specifically, personnel moves. McVay has given up premium draft picks time and again for defensive players - I think the logic was make this unit dominant and I'm good enough to work with what we've got on offense. He got Wade established stars (save for Fowler) to pair with the best defensive player in the NFL.

Meanwhile he took in a QB who was a bust, a RB who just had one of the worst seasons in NFL history, signed a FA WR who had mostly disappointed in Buffalo, took existing under performing offensive linemen, and cobbled it together. Our offense has never been as good as the numbers, which is a testament to McVay. In 2017 we lead the NFL in points scored, but had a ridiculous number of defense/ST TDs, or short fields that allowed TDs. In 2018 we looked record breaking for 11 games, and then fell off a cliff. This year we managed to be 7th in yards and 11th in points, but it felt worse than that.

I'm wondering if McVay sees the offense suffering partially because of the focus on improving the D, and then being frustrated that the talent on this defense underachieves - realistically, it should be a top 5 defense in all categories.

Speculation on my part, but ultimately I'm not upset to see Wade and Bones gone - they were good, but I want McVay to put his own imprint on this team - not just the offense.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1aird2zo said:
hawksfansinceday1":1aird2zo said:
Really surprised by this. McVey and Snead looking for a fall guy? Ramfan128 what say you?

I don't think so. They both got extensions before this season so no need for a fall guy IMO.

I think letting Wade and Bones (very good ST coordinator) go was about two things:

Accountability for under performing
McVay having them as training wheels while he learned to be a HC

I have mixed feelings on our defense - last season they were great despite the bad rankings in some categories (run defense) - they were extremely clutch, including being flat out dominant in the playoffs and playing the Patriots better than any other defense has in a Super Bowl. This year there were the clunkers - Bucs, Ravens, and Cowboys - but the offense was also pretty bad in those games (lots of points and yards eventually in the Bucs game but two Goff INTs let it get to 21-0).

I think it's more about the under performing part, and more specifically, personnel moves. McVay has given up premium draft picks time and again for defensive players - I think the logic was make this unit dominant and I'm good enough to work with what we've got on offense. He got Wade established stars (save for Fowler) to pair with the best defensive player in the NFL.

Meanwhile he took in a QB who was a bust, a RB who just had one of the worst seasons in NFL history, signed a FA WR who had mostly disappointed in Buffalo, took existing under performing offensive linemen, and cobbled it together. Our offense has never been as good as the numbers, which is a testament to McVay. In 2017 we lead the NFL in points scored, but had a ridiculous number of defense/ST TDs, or short fields that allowed TDs. In 2018 we looked record breaking for 11 games, and then fell off a cliff. This year we managed to be 7th in yards and 11th in points, but it felt worse than that.

I'm wondering if McVay sees the offense suffering partially because of the focus on improving the D, and then being frustrated that the talent on this defense underachieves - realistically, it should be a top 5 defense in all categories.

Speculation on my part, but ultimately I'm not upset to see Wade and Bones gone - they were good, but I want McVay to put his own imprint on this team - not just the offense.
Thanks for the response. Any rumors on who succeeds Wade?