PFT: OBJ arrest warrant to be withdrawn

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... eckham-jr/

Mike Triplett of ESPN.com reports that the arrest warrant issued against Browns receiver Odell Beckham Jr. could soon be withdrawn, because the officer who was slapped in the butt by OBJ does not want to press charges. Per the report, the New Orleans Police Department may withdraw the warrant as soon as this weekend.

The officer had been telling players to put out cigars in the locker room. Beckham then slapped the officer in the rear end.

knownone

Reaction score
While this may turn out to be true, what is clear to me is PFT doesn't understand how the law works.

It doesn't actually matter if the officer wants to press charges or not. All that matters is whether or not the prosecutor wants to prosecute. Typically if there is no third party witness and the the victim doesn't want to press charges, then the case is dropped because they have no evidence and an uncooperative victim. In this case, the prosecutor has evidence, so if they wanted to make an example out of him they could.

With that said, I'd be surprised if they did anything.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
knownone":f10fhqr3 said:
While this may turn out to be true, what is clear to me is PFT doesn't understand how the law works.

It doesn't actually matter if the officer wants to press charges or not. All that matters is whether or not the prosecutor wants to prosecute. Typically if there is no third party witness and the the victim doesn't want to press charges, then the case is dropped because they have no evidence and an uncooperative victim. In this case, the prosecutor has evidence, so if they wanted to make an example out of him they could.

With that said, I'd be surprised if they did anything.

The OBJ video (with the ass-smacking clearly in view) is all over Twitter. There's absolutely no doubt he did it. And yes, the DA could prosecute even if the victim doesn't want to. Being that his face is all over the Internet with him getting smacked on the butt, with any court proceedings meaning his name, maybe address will get out there with reports clamoring on his lawn, fans jeering that it wasn't an assault really, he probably didn't think it was worth it.

It doesn't mean OBJ was in any way right about this.

We all know this would have gone down differently had he smacked a woman, even though they've been let into locker rooms for over 30 years now to do their jobs on an equal opportunity basis. Which means that prohibited conduct has to be gender-neutral to keep it, well, equal.

This incident, along with blatantly doling out hundies to NCAA-eligible players, was OBJ's signal that he doesn't really care about consequences, much like AB. He's gonna keep pushing it until the league pushes back. They should now, not only for themselves but as a way to dissuade him from going down the AB road.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I can't believe there are actual conversations about arresting somebody for ass-smacking. Seems like our legal system should have better things to do.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Common sense wins out. We can't possibly be getting this soft as a country. Barney Fife should have stayed out of the champion locker room.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/heismans_/status/1217874097994129408[/tweet]

The video shows the officer asking a player about smoking. OBJ then comes in at the end to smack him.

Most anyone who smacks even a mall cop (and for the record, lots of saints fans are saying the Superdome security is actually sworn LEO) can expect to be detained, arrested and put in jail.

Society's expectations aren't soft. The idea that OBJ is somewhat exempt, is.

MrThortan

Reaction score
Any excuse we can find to lock people up. The American criminal justice system is corrupt at its core.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
I might have pepper sprayed him and called it even.

But I imagine his agent sent an undisclosed sum to the officer as a “no strings attached” thank you for his service.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
MrThortan":3qkey7cr said:
Any excuse we can find to lock people up. The American criminal justice system is corrupt at its core.

Rich and powerful people getting away with things is the problem here.

OBJ's offense is on tape. It's as clear as any DUI tape on cops where the guy can't count backward.