SF scheme beating the Packers

cymatica

Reaction score
So much easier for players to execute on offense when the defense has to think. SF willing to use the whole field, take advantage of short to intermediate throws and up the middle. Running game at least makes the defense think and tests their keys.

Yes I am pointing out the vanilla scheme Seattle insists on running despite not having the personnel for it. Everything would be so much easier on Wilson and the offense if there wasn't such a conservative 'play it safe' 'long ball or no ball' approach

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It's pathetic how many posters around here won't even acknowledge this deficiency on our offense, honestly; and yeah, I don't give a crap how many people find my reply arrogant or condescending. It's factually true, whether they want to admit it or not.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":277l03lu said:
It's pathetic how many posters around here won't even acknowledge this deficiency on our offense, honestly; and yeah, I don't give a crap how many people find my reply arrogant or condescending. It's factually true, whether they want to admit it or not.
Hows lafluer getting on with his whizz kid plays?

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Yeah. They only run into the pack once in a while, compared to Seattle, which seems to be about 80% of the time.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":1wbip673 said:
RolandDeschain":1wbip673 said:
There's a lot more to it than just "scheming", though. Scheming for your OPPONENT, with the PERSONNEL that you have, is huge. It's an old cliche at this point, but the NFL really is all about match-ups and if you do the same predictable stuff on offense most of the time, you make it harder on yourselves than it has to be...which the Seahawks excel at doing. It's why we seem to always play up and down to our opponents so much. Look at our game against the Bengals, and HOW good were they this year?

Palmegranite":1wbip673 said:
Yeah. They only run into the pack once in a while, compared to Seattle, which seems to be about 80% of the time.
I'm noticing that their line is also opening up holes you could send four wide receivers through too though, lol.

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3vvav9nf said:

It's amazing how you can be so arrogant that you can't see that lack of variety with Seattle's scheme compared to SFs. Yes, matchups and execution matter, but trotting out a predictable gameplan every time just let's the other team tee off on you and makes it that much harder to execute. Go ahead though, keep pretending you are smarter than everyone.

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2v8pkxda said:
UK_Seahawk":2v8pkxda said:
RolandDeschain":2v8pkxda said:
There's a lot more to it than just "scheming", though. Scheming for your OPPONENT, with the PERSONNEL that you have, is huge. It's an old cliche at this point, but the NFL really is all about match-ups and if you do the same predictable stuff on offense most of the time, you make it harder on yourselves than it has to be...which the Seahawks excel at doing. It's why we seem to always play up and down to our opponents so much. Look at our game against the Bengals, and HOW good were they this year?

Palmegranite":2v8pkxda said:
I'm noticing that their line is also opening up holes you could send four wide receivers through too though, lol.

That's basically what I am saying. Why do you have to try and insult me? Does it make you feel smarter?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
In the last decade no team has won more games than the Seahawks in the nfc. Roland like most who are a bit intellectually challenged has been distracted by the new and shiny.

Crizilla

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1hkit0zp said:
Lol:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mattufford/status/1219063589442588678[/tweet]

I knew the Packers wouldn't compete. At least the Seahawks would have.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Aikman noting how the 49ers are dedicated to the run like other successful teams like the Seahawks.

But but but scheme shouts Roland before being distracted by some unimportant meaningless argument.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":2oriscvp said:
Aikman noting how the 49ers are dedicated to the run like other successful teams like the Seahawks.

But but but scheme shouts Roland before being distracted by some unimportant meaningless argument.
It's like you don't even understand how different METHODS of running, and disguising what you're trying to do pre-snap, can make a difference. You can't possibly be that obtuse...can you?

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":lfemsmz5 said:
Cymatica, I think you misunderstnad. My post was not directed at you whatsoever.

@UK_Seahawk. Ok Bert. :)

Yeah my bad, i just re-read it and i think the whiskey ruined my reading comprehension. Wow, wtf was my brain doing

OP
OP
cymatica

cymatica

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1sw65krz said:
UK_Seahawk":1sw65krz said:

It's like you don't even understand how different METHODS of running, and disguising what you're trying to do pre-snap, can make a difference. You can't possibly be that obtuse...can you?

That's what I don't get. Some people will simplify it into "we ran" or "we passed" but be completely oblivious to how you run or pass. The 49ers just proved you can run almost every play and still fool the defense(JG had like 6 pass attempts), as long as you actually give the defense different looks and motions.

How many times do you see Seattle run from the same formation and look... Shotgun with what looks like a read option that never uses the option. Very rarely do we see stretches, swings, tosses, or anything with a fullback. For a team that loves the run, it's really just sad how vanilla and uncreative they are in that facet.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
I agree wholeheartedly with Roland. Don't worry, brother, you are not alone on the island of actually-seeing-what-opponent-does-and-scheming-for-it

knownone

Reaction score
Why do so many people get enamored with these outside zone / misdirection based offenses?

Here's the thing, Seattle built their O-line with maulers who can beat guys one on one. The 49ers built their O-line with athletic guys who can move in space and block as a unit. If Seattle tried to run those same plays, we'd see a lot more guys running free in the back field because guys like DJ Fluker can't block in space.

The upside to Seattle's philosophy is they can pretty much find success running the ball against anyone, and they tend to get more effective as the game goes on. This opens up the deep passing game and is one of the #1 reasons why they are among the lead leaders in explosive plays.

Shanahan's offense relies on confusing the defense in the running game and using play-action / misdirection off the run to get receivers space to run after the catch. The problem with his offense is when defenses stop the run and contain the screen passes, 90% of their playbook goes out the window.

chris98251

Reaction score
knownone":28mkorwu said:
Why do so many people get enamored with these outside zone / misdirection based offenses?

Here's the thing, Seattle built their O-line with maulers who can beat guys one on one. The 49ers built their O-line with athletic guys who can move in space and block as a unit. If Seattle tried to run those same plays, we'd see a lot more guys running free in the back field because guys like DJ Fluker can't block in space.

The upside to Seattle's philosophy is they can pretty much find success running the ball against anyone, and they tend to get more effective as the game goes on. This opens up the deep passing game and is one of the #1 reasons why they are among the lead leaders in explosive plays.

Shanahan's offense relies on confusing the defense in the running game and using play-action / misdirection off the run to get receivers space to run after the catch. The problem with his offense is when defenses stop the run and contain the screen passes, 90% of their playbook goes out the window.

To stop S.F. you need speed and discipline in your assignments and flow to the ball sealing edges, we do that well when healthy, add being able to push up the middle which we had some of the first meeting but lacked the second so they were able to help on Clowney who also was hurt the second time round.

If we had opened up on offense more the first half and had them in a hole Garrapolo would have ad to beat us and they could not use the run game as well, that's what needs to happen next season.

That is why we play S.F. so well and the Ravens did also, they have speed and the offense playing in both halfs.