Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jed York hopes for POTUS invite post SB, Sherm won't go

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
  • Jed York hopes 49ers receive White House invite from President Trump
    By Matt Maiocco January 24, 2020 4:44 PM
    SANTA CLARA -- CEO Jed York does not want to look too far ahead, but he said Friday he hopes the 49ers do what it takes in Super Bowl LIV to get an invitation to visit the White House.

The presidency of Donald Trump has brought about decisions for sports teams on whether to accept invitations to visit Washington to be lauded as champions.

[RELATED: 49ers' Sherman on potential White House visit: 'I doubt it']
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• All the more reason to hope for KC to win (because of Sherman, not York).
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• York is one of the most liberal owners in the nfl. Non-story
    Sactown
    NET Bench Warmer

• HawkGA wrote:All the more reason to hope for KC to win (because of Sherman, not York).

Maybe I like Sherm after all.
    Calling York liberal vs. other owners is a pretty low bar.
    TreeRon
    NET Veteran

• It's a meet and greet photo-op. Not a political endorsement. I've never understood why any of this stuff is worthy of a headline. Stay home or go... does anyone really care? :roll:
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• They only invite the winners to the White House, so I don’t see it being an issue for the digits. :stirthepot: 8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

• knownone wrote:It's a meet and greet photo-op. Not a political endorsement. I've never understood why any of this stuff is worthy of a headline. Stay home or go... does anyone really care? :roll:

Obviously HawkGA does
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Hey Yorkie, you're putting the cart before the horse. Is it possible for you to ever stop being a douche in way or another?
    NM, we know it isn't.

Go Chefs!
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Hey Yorkie, you're putting the cart before the horse.

You're misreading the quote, which to be fair, seems kind of deliberately misleading in the way it's written in the article above (is that text from PFT? It feels like PFT clickbait).

In any case, York's response was your response. He was asked by a reporter if the team would visit the White House if it won the Super Bowl. His response was a non-response to the question, suggesting just that he hoped the 49ers won the Super Bowl.

His exact statement was "I hope that we have that decision to make, I hope we have that opportunity and I hope that we’re fortunate enough to get a call from the president."

He's entirely putting the horse in front of the cart. :lol:

As for IF the 49ers win the Super Bowl, would they visit the White House? My guess is that if some of the players wanted to go (e.g. CJ Beathard and Nick Bosa: Beathard is a Trump supporter and it seems like Bosa was at minimum a Trump supporter at one point) York would facilitate that, but never in a million years would he be making the whole team go like Jerry Jones would or something (my guess is it would be some type of very limited delegation, as has happened with most teams that have gone IIRC).
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• IBTL....who cares if he goes or not? Thought you guys lived in a democracy? It's not like Sherman wouldn't be the first to not go.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• Popeyejones wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Hey Yorkie, you're putting the cart before the horse.

You're misreading the quote, which to be fair, seems kind of deliberately misleading in the way it's written in the article above (is that text from PFT? It feels like PFT clickbait).

In any case, York's response was your response. He was asked by a reporter if the team would visit the White House if it won the Super Bowl. His response was a non-response to the question, suggesting just that he hoped the 49ers won the Super Bowl.

His exact statement was "I hope that we have that decision to make, I hope we have that opportunity and I hope that we’re fortunate enough to get a call from the president."

He's entirely putting the horse in front of the cart. :lol:

As for IF the 49ers win the Super Bowl, would they visit the White House? My guess is that if some of the players wanted to go (e.g. CJ Beathard and Nick Bosa: Beathard is a Trump supporter and it seems like Bosa was at minimum a Trump supporter at one point) York would facilitate that, but never in a million years would he be making the whole team go like Jerry Jones would or something (my guess is it would be some type of very limited delegation, as has happened with most teams that have gone IIRC).

fair enough
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• And so it starts.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:

And so it starts.

Who is this and do they matter or are they just looking for traffic.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:

And so it starts.

Who is this and do they matter or are they just looking for traffic.

It's Bleacher Report. They have 350K followers.

Yeah, they're looking for traffic, and yeah they put it in a provocative way, but what they said appears to be accurate.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• The only thing they got wrong is that the Seahawks didn't let Sherman walk, they cut him.

If they're goal is to really get the knife in, they're missing a key twist of it. :lol:
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• Regardless of what President is in office, I would love to one day step foot in there and shake the their hand.
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• As for IF the 49ers win the Super Bowl, would they visit the White House? My guess is that if some of the players wanted to go (e.g. CJ Beathard and Nick Bosa: Beathard is a Trump supporter and it seems like Bosa was at minimum a Trump supporter at one point) York would facilitate that, but never in a million years would he be making the whole team go like Jerry Jones would or something (my guess is it would be some type of very limited delegation, as has happened with most teams that have gone IIRC).

I bet that's how Jed (or alternatively, whoever owns the Chiefs) handles it.

I think some players will want to regardless of political view just to have the experience of a White House ceremony for them. Appearance doesn't imply endorsement.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:I bet that's how Jed (or alternatively, whoever owns the Chiefs) handles it.

I think some players will want to regardless of political view just to have the experience of a White House ceremony for them. Appearance doesn't imply endorsement.

It only gets interesting (I think) if:

(A) The 9ers win the Super Bowl (duh)

and

(B) If left to their own devices Jed, Lynch, and Shanahan all wouldn't accept an invitation.

No matter how big or how small, you do need at least one of the three of them there to lead the delegation.

After all the caveats of needing to win the Super Bowl first, I do think this is what Jed was kind of getting at with regards to respecting the office and such; he was basically saying IF the 49ers win he'd lead the delegation of players who wanted to go out of respect for the office, even if he's not a fan of who is holding it right now.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• When only a "small" number of Eagles players decided to go, Trump canceled the invitation.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump ... 2018-06-04

I'd bet KS/JL goes along with Jed, and any players' decision to go or not should be respected. By everyone including the POTUS.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:When only a "small" number of Eagles players decided to go, Trump canceled the invitation.

I'd bet KS/JL goes along with Jed, and any players' decision to go or not should be respected. By everyone including the POTUS.

Bwa ha ha ha.............
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:When only a "small" number of Eagles players decided to go, Trump canceled the invitation.

Well, ya. Him. Doesn't mean everyone else can't be adults in the room.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:When only a "small" number of Eagles players decided to go, Trump canceled the invitation.

Well, ya. Him. Doesn't mean everyone else can't be adults in the room.

This
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

• Yeah...this is really a non-story.

Yorks entire point was that he hopes they are in the position to get an invite, IE they win the SB.

York is a very liberal owner and not a fan of Donald Trump.

York after Trump comments RE kneeling players...

My guess is that IF they are in that position and IF they get the invite (not at all a given with above quote and the presidents forgiving nature and that Nancy Pelosi is a Niners fan), York will give the players their choice.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• Popeyejones wrote:
    SantaClaraHawk wrote:I bet that's how Jed (or alternatively, whoever owns the Chiefs) handles it.

It only gets interesting (I think) if:

(A) The 9ers win the Super Bowl (duh)

and

(B) If left to their own devices Jed, Lynch, and Shanahan all wouldn't accept an invitation.

No matter how big or how small, you do need at least one of the three of them there to lead the delegation.

After all the caveats of needing to win the Super Bowl first, I do think this is what Jed was kind of getting at with regards to respecting the office and such; he was basically saying IF the 49ers win he'd lead the delegation of players who wanted to go out of respect for the office, even if he's not a fan of who is holding it right now.

Agreed.

The way I look at it none of this matters until we see the final score on Sunday (holy smokes, just kinda hit me the game is this sunday...lol).
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran

• As I recall, Jed was one of the owners that got the NFL to stop it with their rule saying if players didn't like the anthem, they needed to stay in the locker room.

Clearly from the Tweet above, that wasn't enough for POTUS. The Eagles failing to show up with however many/whoever Trump wanted was also not enough.

If Trump wants to throw a hissy over that in an election year, he just guarantees that dozens more players are gonna sit. The controversy is basically over, but he can reignite it.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran

• Cyrus12 wrote:Thought you guys lived in a democracy?

That, along with the rule of law, has very recently gone out the window.

SantaClaraHawk wrote:I think some players will want to regardless of political view just to have the experience of a White House ceremony for them.

Yeah, who could resist the veritable feast of cold "hamberders" and buckets of KFC?
    Hawkwind
    NET Bench Warmer

• I kinda think it’s stupid for our sports teams to visit the White House after winning a championship. I believe we put to much stock into our athletes and celebrities in this country to begin with. Having a local parade is one thing. But having a big ceremony at the White House is just dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    12thmanNY
    Gold Supporter
    Gold Supporter

• So I take it Sherman isn't going the White House invite?
    rjas77
    NET Rookie

• rjas77 wrote:So I take it Sherman isn't going the White House invite?

None of the Niners are going, there has been a change in the itinerary.
    8)
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information