Jed York hopes for POTUS invite post SB, Sherm won't go

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Jed York hopes 49ers receive White House invite from President Trump
By Matt Maiocco January 24, 2020 4:44 PM
SANTA CLARA -- CEO Jed York does not want to look too far ahead, but he said Friday he hopes the 49ers do what it takes in Super Bowl LIV to get an invitation to visit the White House.

The presidency of Donald Trump has brought about decisions for sports teams on whether to accept invitations to visit Washington to be lauded as champions.

[RELATED: 49ers' Sherman on potential White House visit: 'I doubt it']

HawkGA

Reaction score
All the more reason to hope for KC to win (because of Sherman, not York).

Sactown

Reaction score
York is one of the most liberal owners in the nfl. Non-story

TreeRon

Reaction score
HawkGA":t1qyzyp8 said:
All the more reason to hope for KC to win (because of Sherman, not York).

Maybe I like Sherm after all.
Calling York liberal vs. other owners is a pretty low bar.

knownone

Reaction score
It's a meet and greet photo-op. Not a political endorsement. I've never understood why any of this stuff is worthy of a headline. Stay home or go... does anyone really care? :roll:

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
They only invite the winners to the White House, so I don’t see it being an issue for the digits. :stirthepot: 8)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
knownone":1tlz4wsp said:
It's a meet and greet photo-op. Not a political endorsement. I've never understood why any of this stuff is worthy of a headline. Stay home or go... does anyone really care? :roll:
Obviously HawkGA does

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hey Yorkie, you're putting the cart before the horse. Is it possible for you to ever stop being a douche in way or another?
NM, we know it isn't.

Go Chefs!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":11fk9pqf said:
Hey Yorkie, you're putting the cart before the horse.

You're misreading the quote, which to be fair, seems kind of deliberately misleading in the way it's written in the article above (is that text from PFT? It feels like PFT clickbait).

In any case, York's response was your response. He was asked by a reporter if the team would visit the White House if it won the Super Bowl. His response was a non-response to the question, suggesting just that he hoped the 49ers won the Super Bowl.

His exact statement was "I hope that we have that decision to make, I hope we have that opportunity and I hope that we’re fortunate enough to get a call from the president."

He's entirely putting the horse in front of the cart. :lol:

As for IF the 49ers win the Super Bowl, would they visit the White House? My guess is that if some of the players wanted to go (e.g. CJ Beathard and Nick Bosa: Beathard is a Trump supporter and it seems like Bosa was at minimum a Trump supporter at one point) York would facilitate that, but never in a million years would he be making the whole team go like Jerry Jones would or something (my guess is it would be some type of very limited delegation, as has happened with most teams that have gone IIRC).

Cyrus12

Reaction score
IBTL....who cares if he goes or not? Thought you guys lived in a democracy? It's not like Sherman wouldn't be the first to not go.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Popeyejones":qj6fdkyi said:
hawksfansinceday1":qj6fdkyi said:
Hey Yorkie, you're putting the cart before the horse.

You're misreading the quote, which to be fair, seems kind of deliberately misleading in the way it's written in the article above (is that text from PFT? It feels like PFT clickbait).

In any case, York's response was your response. He was asked by a reporter if the team would visit the White House if it won the Super Bowl. His response was a non-response to the question, suggesting just that he hoped the 49ers won the Super Bowl.

His exact statement was "I hope that we have that decision to make, I hope we have that opportunity and I hope that we’re fortunate enough to get a call from the president."

He's entirely putting the horse in front of the cart. :lol:

As for IF the 49ers win the Super Bowl, would they visit the White House? My guess is that if some of the players wanted to go (e.g. CJ Beathard and Nick Bosa: Beathard is a Trump supporter and it seems like Bosa was at minimum a Trump supporter at one point) York would facilitate that, but never in a million years would he be making the whole team go like Jerry Jones would or something (my guess is it would be some type of very limited delegation, as has happened with most teams that have gone IIRC).
fair enough

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1221262073486880768[/tweet]

And so it starts.

chris98251

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2ekjbtwt said:

And so it starts.

Who is this and do they matter or are they just looking for traffic.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":9p5gztm5 said:
SantaClaraHawk":9p5gztm5 said:

And so it starts.

Who is this and do they matter or are they just looking for traffic.

It's Bleacher Report. They have 350K followers.

Yeah, they're looking for traffic, and yeah they put it in a provocative way, but what they said appears to be accurate.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
The only thing they got wrong is that the Seahawks didn't let Sherman walk, they cut him.

If they're goal is to really get the knife in, they're missing a key twist of it. :lol:

2_0_6

Reaction score
Regardless of what President is in office, I would love to one day step foot in there and shake the their hand.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

I bet that's how Jed (or alternatively, whoever owns the Chiefs) handles it.

I think some players will want to regardless of political view just to have the experience of a White House ceremony for them. Appearance doesn't imply endorsement.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1svsc6vy said:
I bet that's how Jed (or alternatively, whoever owns the Chiefs) handles it.

I think some players will want to regardless of political view just to have the experience of a White House ceremony for them. Appearance doesn't imply endorsement.

It only gets interesting (I think) if:

(A) The 9ers win the Super Bowl (duh)

and

(B) If left to their own devices Jed, Lynch, and Shanahan all wouldn't accept an invitation.

No matter how big or how small, you do need at least one of the three of them there to lead the delegation.

After all the caveats of needing to win the Super Bowl first, I do think this is what Jed was kind of getting at with regards to respecting the office and such; he was basically saying IF the 49ers win he'd lead the delegation of players who wanted to go out of respect for the office, even if he's not a fan of who is holding it right now.