Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 draft effected both Superbowl teams

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
2017 draft effected both Superbowl teams
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:53 am
  • Super Bowl 2020: Revisiting the Patrick Mahomes draft-day trade and how the Chiefs' gamble paid off

    fBy Jordan DajaniJan 25, 2020 at 12:11 pm ET • 8 min read


    The 2017 draft class was a bit top-heavy when it came to quarterbacks. It wasn't considered a deep class, but there were a couple of signal callers who had the potential to develop into NFL stars. Mitchell Trubisky, Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes were considered the top three quarterbacks in the draft once Day 1 arrived. However, it's important to remember just how far Mahomes shot up draft boards. Early in the process, he was discussed as a Day 2 pick, then a fringe first-rounder, but all it took was one team to fall in love.

    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/supe ... -paid-off/
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 20468
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • The 2017 draft was bad for the 9ers, and they're lucky it wasn't absolutely atrocious.

    What saves it is that Kittle is the best player at his position in the NFL. They had a 3rd round grade on him but took CJ Beathard in the 3rd and Joe Williams in the 4th instead. :lol: :roll:

    They're lucky as hell he was still there in the 5th.

    DJ Jones is a decent base down DT, and three years later there's still a chance of Spoon and Taylor being something, but overall it was a bad draft.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5522
    Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:58 am


  • Popeyejones wrote:The 2017 draft was bad for the 9ers, and they're lucky it wasn't absolutely atrocious.

    What saves it is that Kittle is the best player at his position in the NFL. They had a 3rd round grade on him but took CJ Beathard in the 3rd and Joe Williams in the 4th instead. :lol: :roll:

    They're lucky as hell he was still there in the 5th.

    DJ Jones is a decent base down DT, and three years later there's still a chance of Spoon and Taylor being something, but overall it was a bad draft.


    We've had this conversation before and we disagree. Thomas and Foster....no getting around it. Titanic disappointments.

    However, for me, Kittle makes it ALL a wash. If no other player panned out, that guy is a franchise changing talent.

    If you take him in the top 5 and put Thomas in the 5th round, the draft would be viewed very differently. Jones is very good. Taylor is good when he can stay on the field.

    The 2017 draft didn't have all the foundational pieces we'd hoped, but the 49ers are absolutely not in the SB without that 5th round pick from Iowa.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6980
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


  • Popeyejones wrote:The 2017 draft was bad for the 9ers, and they're lucky it wasn't absolutely atrocious.

    What saves it is that Kittle is the best player at his position in the NFL. They had a 3rd round grade on him but took CJ Beathard in the 3rd and Joe Williams in the 4th instead. :lol: :roll:

    They're lucky as hell he was still there in the 5th.

    DJ Jones is a decent base down DT, and three years later there's still a chance of Spoon and Taylor being something, but overall it was a bad draft.


    Kittle is a beast, but I don't think he's the best TE in the NFL. Not yet. I'd give that to the guy who'll be starting against you on Sunday.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6852
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • Maulbert wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:The 2017 draft was bad for the 9ers, and they're lucky it wasn't absolutely atrocious.

    What saves it is that Kittle is the best player at his position in the NFL. They had a 3rd round grade on him but took CJ Beathard in the 3rd and Joe Williams in the 4th instead. :lol: :roll:

    They're lucky as hell he was still there in the 5th.

    DJ Jones is a decent base down DT, and three years later there's still a chance of Spoon and Taylor being something, but overall it was a bad draft.


    Kittle is a beast, but I don't think he's the best TE in the NFL. Not yet. I'd give that to the guy who'll be starting against you on Sunday.


    Its really a matter of what you want. Kelce is a better route runner and receiver, but not nearly the blocker Kittle is. If you ask me who'd I want in the Niner offense, I want Kittle hands down. His presence is felt in the run game much more than Kelce and that's a huge part of the 49er offense.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6980
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


  • Marvin49 wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:The 2017 draft was bad for the 9ers, and they're lucky it wasn't absolutely atrocious.

    What saves it is that Kittle is the best player at his position in the NFL. They had a 3rd round grade on him but took CJ Beathard in the 3rd and Joe Williams in the 4th instead. :lol: :roll:

    They're lucky as hell he was still there in the 5th.

    DJ Jones is a decent base down DT, and three years later there's still a chance of Spoon and Taylor being something, but overall it was a bad draft.


    Kittle is a beast, but I don't think he's the best TE in the NFL. Not yet. I'd give that to the guy who'll be starting against you on Sunday.


    Its really a matter of what you want. Kelce is a better route runner and receiver, but not nearly the blocker Kittle is. If you ask me who'd I want in the Niner offense, I want Kittle hands down. His presence is felt in the run game much more than Kelce and that's a huge part of the 49er offense.


    Kittle's probably a better athlete and definitely a better blocker, but at this point I give it to Kelce because he's missed just one game in the last 6 seasons. Not saying anything on Kittle's durability, I'm sure this year is more an anomaly, but you can't argue with Kelce's consistency.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6852
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • *Affected.
    *Super Bowl.

    ;)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31746
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


  • RolandDeschain wrote:*Affected.
    *Super Bowl.

    ;)


    You misspelled Superb Owl. :P
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6852
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


  • Maulbert wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:*Affected.
    *Super Bowl.

    ;)


    You misspelled Superb Owl. :P

    I'd have let that one slide because of the intended meaning. :lol:
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31746
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


  • PFF gave George Kittle the best grade out of any player.... period. I can see how the casual fan would look at the flashy pass catching stats and say Kelce is better, but I would take Kittle all day every day.
    94Smith
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 309
    Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:01 am


  • 94Smith wrote:PFF gave George Kittle the best grade out of any player.... period. I can see how the casual fan would look at the flashy pass catching stats and say Kelce is better, but I would take Kittle all day every day.

    I would also say that no rookie can just knock off a veteran with sustained excellence for six years already. Kittle was OUTSTANDING this year. Let's see him sustain it for at least a couple years first. I don't think he was an obvious flash in the pan like Lamar, but...I think you get the picture.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31746
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


  • RolandDeschain wrote:*Affected.
    *Super Bowl.

    ;)

    Thank you

    I'll take Kittle over Kelce by the slimmest of margins
    hawksfansinceday1
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter
     
    Posts: 24628
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    94Smith wrote:PFF gave George Kittle the best grade out of any player.... period. I can see how the casual fan would look at the flashy pass catching stats and say Kelce is better, but I would take Kittle all day every day.

    I would also say that no rookie can just knock off a veteran with sustained excellence for six years already. Kittle was OUTSTANDING this year. Let's see him sustain it for at least a couple years first. I don't think he was an obvious flash in the pan like Lamar, but...I think you get the picture.


    Dude he's not a rookie and he set the record for pass catching yards by a TE last year ahead of Kelce, with 3rd and second string Qbs throwing at him, and no other receiving threats to speak of (unlike Kelce). It's his third year, hence the 2017 draft.
    94Smith
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 309
    Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:01 am


  • 94Smith wrote:Dude he's not a rookie and he set the record for pass catching yards by a TE last year ahead of Kelce, with 3rd and second string Qbs throwing at him, and no other receiving threats to speak of (unlike Kelce). It's his third year, hence the 2017 draft.

    I don't know why I thought he was a rookie. Now that you pointed this out, I remember him from the year before, lol.

    However, no other receiving threats tends to HELP a great receiver a lot of the time, so don't use that as a point in his favor. Yeah, they get more coverage than average in scenarios like that, but they also tend to get schemed for on offense more and targeted very heavily when they're clearly the best receiving target on the field.

    For example, look at what Josh Gordon did in Cleveland and that wasn't just with bad QBs, that was with a bad overall TEAM every year, too. By comparison, the overrated OBJ did.....what, exactly, in Cleveland with a better team and QB than Gordon EVER had in that organization?
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 31746
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:39 am
    Location: North Miami Beach, FL


  • Kittle is a bottom 5 TE if he played in the XFL.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5561
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:54 pm


  • Kittle has been playing with a torn Lambrum for two years as well, guy is a beast.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 32753
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Maulbert wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:The 2017 draft was bad for the 9ers, and they're lucky it wasn't absolutely atrocious.

    What saves it is that Kittle is the best player at his position in the NFL. They had a 3rd round grade on him but took CJ Beathard in the 3rd and Joe Williams in the 4th instead. :lol: :roll:

    They're lucky as hell he was still there in the 5th.

    DJ Jones is a decent base down DT, and three years later there's still a chance of Spoon and Taylor being something, but overall it was a bad draft.


    Kittle is a beast, but I don't think he's the best TE in the NFL. Not yet. I'd give that to the guy who'll be starting against you on Sunday.

    I'm on the other side of this topic. Kittle is a significantly better all-around tight end than Kelce. Kelce just plays in a pass first offense with a better QB.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2600
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 am


  • Kelce is a really good TE in the passing game, but let's not act like Kittle is purely blocking and Mark Bavaroing his way for first downs.

    How many 75+ yard TDs does he have already? 3?

    RAC king for not just TEs but also WRs?
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1924
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 8:06 pm


  • knownone wrote:
    Maulbert wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:The 2017 draft was bad for the 9ers, and they're lucky it wasn't absolutely atrocious.

    What saves it is that Kittle is the best player at his position in the NFL. They had a 3rd round grade on him but took CJ Beathard in the 3rd and Joe Williams in the 4th instead. :lol: :roll:

    They're lucky as hell he was still there in the 5th.

    DJ Jones is a decent base down DT, and three years later there's still a chance of Spoon and Taylor being something, but overall it was a bad draft.


    Kittle is a beast, but I don't think he's the best TE in the NFL. Not yet. I'd give that to the guy who'll be starting against you on Sunday.

    I'm on the other side of this topic. Kittle is a significantly better all-around tight end than Kelce. Kelce just plays in a pass first offense with a better QB.


    That's funny, the same could be said about Jimmy Graham pre-Seattle. :2thumbs:
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1924
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 8:06 pm




It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:09 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online