Jags use franchise tag on Yannick Ngakoue (Updated)

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jacksonville needs to treat him right!

"Ngakoue's tweet indicates he could be in for a battle with the front office. The edge rusher skipped offseason workouts last offseason in hopes of a new long-term solution before relenting to playing on the final year of his contract.

A third-round pick, Ngakoue has outperformed his deal in every way imaginable. He outplayed Dante Fowler, a former first-round pick, for three years, and generated 37.5 sacks in four seasons in Jacksonville.

Now he wants the long-term, guaranteed money security that comes with the type of player he's proven to be. The edge rusher owns a dominant first step, is relentless to the quarterback, and still has room to grow. "

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ck-ngakoue

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cyrus12":398cpbfo said:
Kind of surprised he isnt getting s long term deal.

He's been very vocal about never wanting to put on a Jags uniform ever again, so if I had to guess the franchise tag is to extend the time period of control so the Jags can find the best trade deal for Ngakoue.

Kinda like what we did with Frank, we franchised him before trading him. Just buys time.

Honestly, I'd give up our 1st and pay Ngakoue 22-23M a year. He's young, healthy and is averaging almost 10 sacks a year, and is an 80% snap count kind of D-end. IMO he hasn't reached his potential yet, unlike Clowney who we might pay just as much, and comes with lots of worry about health and production.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17h9zrsg said:
Cyrus12":17h9zrsg said:

He's been very vocal about never wanting to put on a Jags uniform ever again, so if I had to guess the franchise tag is to extend the time period of control so the Jags can find the best trade deal for Ngakoue.

Kinda like what we did with Frank, we franchised him before trading him. Just buys time.

Honestly, I'd give up our 1st and pay Ngakoue 22-23M a year. He's young, healthy and is averaging almost 10 sacks a year, and is an 80% snap count kind of D-end. IMO he hasn't reached his potential yet, unlike Clowney who we might pay just as much, and comes with lots of worry about health and production.
Might take like a 1 and a 4 but yeah I'm in

getnasty

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1ch4sxxl said:
Sgt. Largent":1ch4sxxl said:
Cyrus12":1ch4sxxl said:

Frank Clark just cost Chiefs a 1st and 2nd and having to pay him. I woukd think the Jags would want similar with the only difference being if Yannick forces his way out. They also just got way more for Ramsey who was forcing his way out.

massari

Reaction score
Imagine trading Clowney and a 1st for Ngakoue

Tenor

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
getnasty":3vax99rh said:
hawksfansinceday1":3vax99rh said:
Sgt. Largent":3vax99rh said:
Cyrus12":3vax99rh said:

Frank Clark just cost Chiefs a 1st and 2nd and having to pay him. I woukd think the Jags would want similar with the only difference being if Yannick forces his way out. They also just got way more for Ramsey who was forcing his way out.

Certainly possible the Jags want more, but by Ngakoue publicly stating that he never wants to play for the Jags again, IMO that lowers his trade value because it gives trade partners more leverage because they know there's no possibility the Jags are keeping him now.

Ramsey isn't the same comp, he's one of the top 2-3 corners in the league, so his talent trumps any outside leverage.

But who knows, we'll see. I certainly wouldn't give up more than a 1st for Ngakoue, he's a 10 sack a year guy, not a 15-20 sack a year guy.

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2xdagrii said:
getnasty":2xdagrii said:
hawksfansinceday1":2xdagrii said:
Sgt. Largent":2xdagrii said:

Certainly possible the Jags want more, but by Ngakoue publicly stating that he never wants to play for the Jags again, IMO that lowers his trade value because it gives trade partners more leverage because they know there's no possibility the Jags are keeping him now.

Ramsey isn't the same comp, he's one of the top 2-3 corners in the league, so his talent trumps any outside leverage.

But who knows, we'll see. I certainly wouldn't give up more than a 1st for Ngakoue, he's a 10 sack a year guy, not a 15-20 sack a year guy.

I agree with everything you said just have to wonder if the Jags do.

If the money for Yannick and Clowney is a wash then i'd probably roll the dice with Clowney, keep the pick and draft the best player available.

massari

Reaction score
getnasty":2hnm2qi4 said:
If the money for Yannick and Clowney is a wash then i'd probably roll the dice with Clowney, keep the pick and draft the best player available.
How is going with the better player rolling the dice?

getnasty

Reaction score
massari":3gt3ovcv said:
getnasty":3gt3ovcv said:
How is going with the better player rolling the dice?

Simply injury related

danbogart

Reaction score
Looks like he might be in Seattle.

Attachments

• 20200318_130759.jpg
    20200318_130759.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 1,172

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Not sure i see the resemblance. But I am not aSeatac frequenter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200318-135439_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200318-135439_Instagram.jpg
    848.6 KB · Views: 1,141

2_0_6

Reaction score
Teams cannot meet with Free Agents until 3.31. No point in him coming all the way up here for almost 2 weeks unless something is already signed and done.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
2_0_6":1obhgcn7 said:
Teams cannot meet with Free Agents until 3.31. No point in him coming all the way up here for almost 2 weeks unless something is already signed and done.
He's not a free agent. He was tagged by Jax. Trade as rumored is possible I'd guess.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Anyone else think there is some type of trade in the works with the hawks that is the reason why they have not signed Clowney yet? I would not be surprised if we hear an announcement on the trade front in the next few hours or days. I have no information on this it is just a hunch of mine.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
BubbaGump":1mddrsfb said:
Anyone else think there is some type of trade in the works with the hawks that is the reason why they have not signed Clowney yet? I would not be surprised if we hear an announcement on the trade front in the next few hours or days. I have no information on this it is just a hunch of mine.

I for sure feel something big coming. Slay would look great in our Secondary.

Ngakoue may be interested in a reasonable contract say $17mil APY where Clowney was looking for the moon. New word on the street is Clowney considering a short term deal to get back to market again. I think I'd rather give up a first (plus their 2nd) for Ngakoue and lock him up for $17 APY over 5 years than pay Clowney $20M APY for 2 years.