Brieda RFA tender a difficult decision: NBC Bay Area

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers ... icult-call

Breida was the 49ers’ leading rusher in 2018 despite battling a lingering ankle issue most of the season. And after Tevin Coleman was injured in the first game last year, Breida picked up where he left off with games of 121 and 114 yards rushing over a three-game span.

But Breida fell out of the rotation after returning from missing three games with an ankle injury. He was not used much in the playoffs and played no offensive snaps in the Super Bowl. Now, Breida is a restricted free agent, and the 49ers must make a decision.

----

The low tender offer is about $2.1M. They have two good RBs and one OK one that didn't land on IR. IDK what the injury situation is for our guys, but if there's any doubt I hope they pick this guy up for what's pretty cheap and have him compete with them in camp.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Not really any point in tendering him at 2.1 as I can't imagine they'd match if he got a different offer, and that comes without any compensation anyway.

Breida had a couple fumbles and started pushing a little bit and fell out of favor last year.

The real story here tho is Kyle's insistence on setting resources on fire at RB/FB, will is already hurting the team, and continue to hurt the team.

That he's still doing this despite being the son of Mike Shanaha means he'll likely never change.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I can't help but think of Todd every time I see that name despite slight
difference in spelling :lol:
As for getting him..Pass as we can't use our RB's like other teams do
so they fit in.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":d5pu565g said:
Not really any point in tendering him at 2.1 as I can't imagine they'd match if he got a different offer, and that comes without any compensation anyway.

Breida had a couple fumbles and started pushing a little bit and fell out of favor last year.

The real story here tho is Kyle's insistence on setting resources on fire at RB/FB, will is already hurting the team, and continue to hurt the team.

That he's still doing this despite being the son of Mike Shanaha means he'll likely never change.

Wait. Who is "Will?"

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3t7cpb43 said:

Disagree with ya on this one. I kinda think they may let Brieda walk and Coleman isn't log for the team either. McKinnon will likely get a shot at a greatly decreased price...

...so in terms of $$$ the only big ticket guy in the backfield would be Juice...and I don't mind that.

Personally, I thin RB is going to be alot like his daddy did it, IE they'll have guys for a few year and let them walk before they really need to pay them. What they may do tho is use draft resources, but I'd guess the Niners will switch runners quite a bit over the next several year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3usjpfou said:
Popeyejones":3usjpfou said:

Wait. Who is "Will?"

Sorry typo.

Shanahan's RB fetish is already hurting the team, and will continue to hurt the team IMO.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":n6qqv34k said:
Disagree with ya on this one. I kinda think they may let Brieda walk and Coleman isn't log for the team either. McKinnon will likely get a shot at a greatly decreased price...

...so in terms of $$$ the only big ticket guy in the backfield would be Juice...and I don't mind that.

Personally, I thin RB is going to be alot like his daddy did it, IE they'll have guys for a few year and let them walk before they really need to pay them. What they may do tho is use draft resources, but I'd guess the Niners will switch runners quite a bit over the next several year.

I hope you're right, but I don't see any signs of that at all.

With Breida and Mostert and Jerick still healthy and getting 6 APY he still got all giddy and paid Coleman another 5 APY, and that's only because he couldn't get Le'veon Bell at 12 APY.

He's paying a FB nearly 3x what the next highest paid fullback makes. People say he uses fullbacks more, which is true, but Juice is still only seeing 1/3rd of snaps, and his contributions in the passing game are mostly scheme anyway.

If you include Juice:

Last year the 49ers had three of the top 15 earning RBs in the nfl .

They had four of the top 24 paid RBs in the NFL.

That is insane.

I really hope you're right but so far I've seen zero evidence for it.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I do not understand keeping McKinnon on at $8.5M when they already have two very good running backs that are younger and actually played in recent years, plus Brieda plus Wilson.

It is almost fetishistic that apparently they're still trying to retain him as part of a team-friendly deal as seen here https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/49 ... r-BB10oaqS while publicly leaving hints that they want to get rid of Breida without even offering the lowest round for an RFA.

Like I said, if they did that, I hope the Hawks scoop him up for cheap (3M type range). I personally wouldn't even pay that for Jerick after two years on IR.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":30lkjudr said:
I do not understand keeping McKinnon on at $8.5M when they already have two very good running backs that are younger and actually played in recent years, plus Brieda plus Wilson.

It is almost fetishistic that apparently they're still trying to retain him as part of a team-friendly deal as seen here https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/49 ... r-BB10oaqS while publicly leaving hints that they want to get rid of Breida without even offering the lowest round for an RFA.

Like I said, if they did that, I hope the Hawks scoop him up for cheap (3M type range). I personally wouldn't even pay that for Jerick after two years on IR.

To be clear, McKinnon will NOT play under that contract.

He'll either be cut or play for a drastically lower number...approaching the league minimum he'd get if he signed elsewhere. Apparently he's already expressed an interest in staying.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1e5xh25e said:
Marvin49":1e5xh25e said:

I hope you're right, but I don't see any signs of that at all.

With Breida and Mostert and Jerick still healthy and getting 6 APY he still got all giddy and paid Coleman another 5 APY, and that's only because he couldn't get Le'veon Bell at 12 APY.

He's paying a FB nearly 3x what the next highest paid fullback makes. People say he uses fullbacks more, which is true, but Juice is still only seeing 1/3rd of snaps, and his contributions in the passing game are mostly scheme anyway.

If you include Juice:

Last year the 49ers had three of the top 15 earning RBs in the nfl .

They had four of the top 24 paid RBs in the NFL.

That is insane.

I really hope you're right but so far I've seen zero evidence for it.

Yeah...I think this is just one of the few things we see differently.

Juice is worth it.

McKinnon simply hasn't worked out. Coleman likely doesn't even get signed if McKinnon doesn't get hurt. McKinnon was signed when they has HUGE cap cash that HAD to be spent by CBA rules. I wouldn't use that as the example.

Coleman is paid well, but when you really look at the contract, its pretty cheap compared to other positions. I think he was signed because it was cheaper than they expected. I wouldn't be shocked if he's let go before hitting year 2 which is a larger salary year.

Mostert was resigned mostly as a ST player. The fact that he's played well as a RB is a bonus.

Bell? I never bought into that rumor. They may have kicked those tires, but I'm doubtful their number got that high.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":bncpzvql said:
He'll either be cut or play for a drastically lower number...approaching the league minimum he'd get if he signed elsewhere. Apparently he's already expressed an interest in staying.

McKinnon has a 4M dead cap for 2020 plus a 2.3M decision coming up on 4/1. The latter of which I view as his floor as opposed to vet minimum. They could try to give him a contract heavy on incentives I suppose, but fact is they hit the lottery last year with RBs that are cheaper.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":2yjbniow said:

Juice is worth it.

He's the 9th highest paid running back in the NFL.

He had 23 touches last year.

He's not even on the field for 2 out of 3 offensive snaps.

Excluding punters and kickers, can you name any other time in history in which a top 10 player in salary only played 1/3rd of snaps and you thought it was a good deal?

If you want to call him a FB and not an RB, can you name any time in history in which the highest paid player at a position made 3x as much as the second highest player?

C'mon dude.

Our fanbase's Stockholm syndrome about Juice and his contract is really unreal.

It's why we always resort to magical thinking about his "influence" because paying a guy who averages 1.4 touches a game and is sitting on the sidelines for 2/3rds of plays as a Top 10 running back forces you to either accept the obvious, or resort to magical thinking.

McKinnon simply hasn't worked out. Coleman likely doesn't even get signed if McKinnon doesn't get hurt. McKinnon was signed when they has HUGE cap cash that HAD to be spent by CBA rules. I wouldn't use that as the example.

Coleman was signed March 13 while Jerick was still on schedule. Jerick's first setback was two months later.

PLENTY of people criticized the Jerick signing when it happened, so why aren't we allowed to criticize it now?

They're going to have to pay him to be the 15th highest paid RB in the NFL this year just for the privilege of cutting him. It absolutely counts as an example of the problem.

Coleman is paid well, but when you really look at the contract, its pretty cheap compared to other positions. I think he was signed because it was cheaper than they expected. I wouldn't be shocked if he's let go before hitting year 2 which is a larger salary year.

Coleman is in the top 1/3rd of the league for RB starting salaries this year, as is Juice, as is Jerick: they 9ers have three of the top 12 RB salaries in the entire league on their books right now.

Comparing to other positions is beside the point. It's like trying to argue that paying CJ Moseley 17APY is actually a steal because Russell Wilson makes 35 APY.

Bell? I never bought into that rumor. They may have kicked those tires, but I'm doubtful their number got that high.

You think Adam Schefter was lying when he reported the contract details they offered Bell? You think Jeremey Fowler was lying too? After Bell signed with the Jets you think Bell was also lying when he said the two offers he got were from the 49ers and Jets and he went with the bigger one?

The 9ers offered Bell 13 million APY over three years, and within a few days of him turning it down they signed Tevin Coleman. It's not like I'm claiming there was a fire because there was smoke. All the details of the fire itself got reported.

I mean, even if you think Schefter, Fowler and Bell are all lying, why would Kyle Shanahan lie about trying to sign Bell? :lol:

As Shanny himself said about Bell: "When we got close, we got somewhat excited. A little disappointed that it didn’t work out, but when we ended up with Tevin the next day, that ended very fast for us."

To be really clear, I desperately hope you're right and that lack of cap room causes Shanahan to not be so wildly and repeatedly wasteful at the RB position, but on this count so far we have no reason to think he's anything like his dad at all.

As far as RBs go, Mike Shanahan was the magician who traded Clinton Portis. So far Kyle Shanahan is the rube who trades for Clinton Portis. :lol:

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":yk89qqej said:
Marvin49":yk89qqej said:

Juice is worth it.

He's the 9th highest paid running back in the NFL.

He had 23 touches last year.

He's not even on the field for 2 out of 3 offensive snaps.

Excluding punters and kickers, can you name any other time in history in which a top 10 player in salary only played 1/3rd of snaps and you thought it was a good deal?

If you want to call him a FB and not an RB, can you name any time in history in which the highest paid player at a position made 3x as much as the second highest player?

C'mon dude.

Our fanbase's Stockholm syndrome about Juice and his contract is really unreal.

It's why we always resort to magical thinking about his "influence" because paying a guy who averages 1.4 touches a game and is sitting on the sidelines for 2/3rds of plays as a Top 10 running back forces you to either accept the obvious, or resort to magical thinking.

Coleman was signed March 13 while Jerick was still on schedule. Jerick's first setback was two months later.

PLENTY of people criticized the Jerick signing when it happened, so why aren't we allowed to criticize it now?

They're going to have to pay him to be the 15th highest paid RB in the NFL this year just for the privilege of cutting him. It absolutely counts as an example of the problem.

Coleman is in the top 1/3rd of the league for RB starting salaries this year, as is Juice, as is Jerick: they 9ers have three of the top 12 RB salaries in the entire league on their books right now.

Comparing to other positions is beside the point. It's like trying to argue that paying CJ Moseley 17APY is actually a steal because Russell Wilson makes 35 APY.

You think Adam Schefter was lying when he reported the contract details they offered Bell? You think Jeremey Fowler was lying too? After Bell signed with the Jets you think Bell was also lying when he said the two offers he got were from the 49ers and Jets and he went with the bigger one?

The 9ers offered Bell 13 million APY over three years, and within a few days of him turning it down they signed Tevin Coleman. It's not like I'm claiming there was a fire because there was smoke. All the details of the fire itself got reported.

I mean, even if you think Schefter, Fowler and Bell are all lying, why would Kyle Shanahan lie about trying to sign Bell? :lol:

As Shanny himself said about Bell: "When we got close, we got somewhat excited. A little disappointed that it didn’t work out, but when we ended up with Tevin the next day, that ended very fast for us."

To be really clear, I desperately hope you're right and that lack of cap room causes Shanahan to not be so wildly and repeatedly wasteful at the RB position, but on this count so far we have no reason to think he's anything like his dad at all.

As far as RBs go, Mike Shanahan was the magician who traded Clinton Portis. So far Kyle Shanahan is the rube who trades for Clinton Portis. :lol:

I dunno man...I guess we just view this very differently.

RE Bell: I think alot of things get reported that aren't necessarily true and sometimes are half truths...IE if he his certain incentives he could make "up to", etc. Honestly, otherwise it doesn't make sense to me. IF those facts are correct and they in fact offered him that much, then I think you'd be 100% correct.

RE Juice: I think quoting his carries is pointless. I don't think you can look at him through the lense of a HB and the position he plays is all but non-existent. The dude is a unicorn.

RE McKinnon: I can't and have never really defended that contract. They needed a guy and Shanahan really liked him...dunno.

RE Coleman: I don't think Shanahan trusts/trusted his runners and thats why he was signed.

I get it. You haven't been a fan of the moves this regime makes in terms of personnel. We've had this conversation before RE Lynch.

I can see where you are coming from, but I kinda think too much time is spent on these subjects and not the decisions that have been made that put this team in the SB last year.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, it is ENTIRELY fair to say I'm griping about a particular thing that bothers me and ignoring the massive turn around and success that surrounds it. :2thumbs:

It just stings right now given they'll be losing players I'd rather keep because of it, but I obviously still wouldn't trade the whole kit and kaboodle for anything. :lol:

Point very well taken.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Popeyejones":11lohdma said:
^^^ Yeah, it is ENTIRELY fair to say I'm griping about a particular thing that bothers me and ignoring the massive turn around and success that surrounds it. :2thumbs:

It just stings right now given they'll be losing players I'd rather keep because of it, but I obviously still wouldn't trade the whole kit and kaboodle for anything. :lol:

Point very well taken.

:2thumbs: