Alex Smith E60

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Dammit. I watched the YT beforehand.

Alex's leg looked like a half-eaten raw steak. It did not even look human. I could not believe what I was seeing there.

He had necrotizing faciatis, flesh eating bacteria. They pulled someone's piece of sock out of the wound originally.

His wife went to the team doc, and the team doc said she would choose amputation if it were her leg. Alex woke up and decided to try to salvage the limb. He had to have quad transplants and calf transplants. Basically moving around meat.

At 36, the chances he can go out on the field, even as a backup, are not zero as it would be for me and for most people. Maybe he goes out there late in the 4th to do the victory formation or maybe he gets to throw one. That's pretty goddamn miraculous.

Marvin49

Reaction score
I always liked Alex. I knew what he was as a football player, IE he was risk averse to a fault, but the dude just worked his a$$ off from day one and never said a word. So much respect for him.

I watched that video in its entirety. OMG, that shot of his leg after they had removed all of the damaged tissue...it looked like a turkey leg after you've eaten most of the meat off it.

I didn't think its was possible to rescue a leg in that condition.

To be honest though, I really hope he doesn't play again. It seems like it would just introduce the possibility of another tragedy. You've got money for life Alex. I think his entire contract is guaranteed for injury, but I could be wrong. Retire, get into coaching. Get a ring as a coach.