Frank Gore to the Jets

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I can't believe he's still in the league. Rb's seem to have the shortest time span of any position and he's still going

Marvin49

Reaction score
Its really even more imressive that he's still playing considering one of the knocks on him was that he wasn't durable because he'd torn 2 ACLs in college.

Scot McGloughan came out recently and admitted he fudged Franks 40 time because he really wanted to draft him. He said Frank ran 4.79.

Puts 40 times into perspective. Makes you wonder how good he could have been if not for those injuries.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The best joke about Frank Gore.

A player you never worried about your team going aginst in real football or fantasy football.

Marvin49

Reaction score
sdog1981":35raojhe said:

A player you never worried about your team going aginst in real football or fantasy football.

um....what?

Osprey

Reaction score
Marvin49":3fb6p4p8 said:
sdog1981":3fb6p4p8 said:

um....what?
I think the point is that he will make the HOF based on longevity / stat compiling as opposed to being a generational talent. See Jerome Bettis, did you know he was from Detroit?

Marvin49

Reaction score
[youtube][/youtube]
Osprey":1utdf44j said:
Marvin49":1utdf44j said:
sdog1981":1utdf44j said:

um....what?
I think the point is that he will make the HOF based on longevity / stat compiling as opposed to being a generational talent. See Jerome Bettis, did you know he was from Detroit?

Legit LOL on the Bettis comment, but totally disagree with the first part of that statement.

The dude had 8 1000 (almost 1700 once, and 1100 or 1200 in most seasons) yard seasons in his first 10 years (outliers being his rookie year, and the year where he dislocated his hip, but had 850 yards in 10.5 games) and even though he has hung around so much late careerwith a few sub 4 yard per carry seasons, he STILL is averaging 4.3 yards per carry for his career, an average higher than HOF RBs Emmitt Smith (4.2), Curtis Martin (4.0), Jerome Bettis (3.9), and the same as LaDainian Tomlinson and Tony Dorsett (and those are just the other guys in the top 10). Barry Sanders was at 5 yards per carry. Freakin' ludicrous. LOL.

Problem is just that Frank never got the respect he deserved. He played for a ton of really bad teams and some really bad coaching staffs, but he was always the Bell Cow. Just carried the water every season and never complained.

I wouldn't say he was/is in the Sanders/Tomlinson "generational talent" conversation, but he certainly wasn't "A player you never worried about your team going against in real football or fantasy football". That's just mind-numbingly ignorant from Football perspective.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Marvin49":2i4efohl said:
[youtube][/youtube]
Osprey":2i4efohl said:
Marvin49":2i4efohl said:
sdog1981":2i4efohl said:

um....what?

Legit LOL on the Bettis comment, but totally disagree with the first part of that statement.

The dude had 8 1000 (almost 1700 once, and 1100 or 1200 in most seasons) yard seasons in his first 10 years (outliers being his rookie year, and the year where he dislocated his hip, but had 850 yards in 10.5 games) and even though he has hung around so much late careerwith a few sub 4 yard per carry seasons, he STILL is averaging 4.3 yards per carry for his career, an average higher than HOF RBs Emmitt Smith (4.2), Curtis Martin (4.0), Jerome Bettis (3.9), and the same as LaDainian Tomlinson and Tony Dorsett (and those are just the other guys in the top 10). Barry Sanders was at 5 yards per carry. Freakin' ludicrous. LOL.

Problem is just that Frank never got the respect he deserved. He played for a ton of really bad teams and some really bad coaching staffs, but he was always the Bell Cow. Just carried the water every season and never complained.

I wouldn't say he was/is in the Sanders/Tomlinson "generational talent" conversation, but he certainly wasn't "A player you never worried about your team going against in real football or fantasy football". That's just mind-numbingly ignorant from Football perspective.

What I think really benefited Gore, bizarrely, is the fact that he tore his ACL twice in college, and kept getting passed on the depth chart. He was considered very talented, which is one reason he still went in the 3rd round despite having the 'injury prone' label in college, but the ACL problems limited him to 348 carries over 4 years (interestingly, Curtis Martin dropped and arguably had a long career for a similar reason). I really believe his lack of mileage entering the NFL really helped his long-term durability. Also, in hindsight, there's really no question his ACL problems were a fluke, not an omen.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Maulbert":1bb91b98 said:
Marvin49":1bb91b98 said:
[youtube][/youtube]
Osprey":1bb91b98 said:
Marvin49":1bb91b98 said:
um....what?

What I think really benefited Gore, bizarrely, is the fact that he tore his ACL twice in college, and kept getting passed on the depth chart. He was considered very talented, which is one reason he still went in the 3rd round despite having the 'injury prone' label in college, but the ACL problems limited him to 348 carries over 4 years (interestingly, Curtis Martin dropped and arguably had a long career for a similar reason). I really believe his lack of mileage entering the NFL really helped his long-term durability. Also, in hindsight, there's really no question his ACL problems were a fluke, not an omen.

and again...REALLY wonder how good he'd have been without those surgeries. Its clear watching him that he slowed down quite a bit after the surgeries, or at least before his senior year in college.

He regained some of it once he entered the league, but he looked SOOO quick before he got hurt.

NINEster

Reaction score
sdog1981":akm647i1 said:

Most career rushing yards when he left the Niners was against Seattle. Probably still is true.

Only he and Barry Sanders had two 78 yard TDs in one game. Guess which team Gore did that against?

How about that back breaking long run at candlestick in kap's only victory ever against Seattle?

NINEster

Reaction score
Marvin49":ru6lteq6 said:
[youtube][/youtube]
Osprey":ru6lteq6 said:
Marvin49":ru6lteq6 said:
sdog1981":ru6lteq6 said:

um....what?

If the Harbaugh era started a few years earlier, Gore would have singlehandedly carried the Niners to a Lombardi even despite their best efforts to sabotage it. It would have been like how Raheem Mostert had that monster NFCC game, and would have been done with a mediocre OC as opposed to elite. Gore was still a great RB in 2011-2014, but he was amazing before then. Underrated AF because his team sucked.

Gore had tied Sanders for most *consecutive* seasons at 4.0+ YPC. It was them and Jim Brown.

Nobody else was close.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":1q05l8r9 said:
[youtube][/youtube]
Osprey":1q05l8r9 said:
Marvin49":1q05l8r9 said:
sdog1981":1q05l8r9 said:

um....what?

Marvin,
you shouldn't have to defend the guys HOF chances..He is a solid lock period.
The stats and longevity do not lie.He is a consistent player.
I wish the Hawks had him even now.

sdog1981

Reaction score
As a fantasy player, he was top 10 RB 3 times.

In real NFL he averaged around 62 yards rushing per game.

Yawn, the dude is dead ass average and played for 5 teams.

However, staying healthy is a skill and he is on the all-decade team and will be in the HOF.

Marvin49

Reaction score
sdog1981":o1nkt69g said:
As a fantasy player, he was top 10 RB 3 times.

In real NFL he averaged around 62 yards rushing per game.

Yawn, the dude is dead ass average and played for 5 teams.

However, staying healthy is a skill and he is on the all-decade team and will be in the HOF.

SMDH.

Hes' played for 5 teams because he's signing one and 2 year deals and not many teams are looking for 36 year old RBs.

He spent 10 years on ONE team, is that teams all-time leading rusher, and in that span averaged 4.5 yards per carry (Emmitt Smith averaged 4.2 in Dallas).

If he had retired after year 10, he'd have had 11,073 yards which would STILL have put him at #21 on the all-time rushing list, just behind OJ Simpson. Of the players who would would be ahead of him, One is still active (Adrian Peterson), and 16 are in the Hall of Fame.

That's all if he'd retired after year 10. Instead he's put up a 1000 yards season and 2 900+ yard seasons. In his mid 30s.

Just stop dude. "Dead ass average". LOL. Making a fool yourself.

Even if he's the 21st best RB in NFL history, that's FAR from "dead ass average".

mistaowen

Reaction score
Frank is gonna keep playing til he's in his 50's.

Marvin49

Reaction score
mistaowen":1aliffzl said:
Frank is gonna keep playing til he's in his 50's.

I think he might keep playing till he AND his son are in the league together. LOL.