Baker Mayfield has vowed to kneel.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -mayfield/

Baker Mayfield‘s offseason motto was “moving in silence.” But after the death of George Floyd on May 25, followed by nationwide protests, the Browns quarterback is speaking out. Loudly. And, frankly, he doesn’t care what anybody thinks.

Mayfield expanded on his earlier Instagram post after receiving flak from some fans for vowing to kneel for the national anthem this season.

“Everybody so upset about my comment doesn’t understand the reasoning behind kneeling in the first place,” Mayfield wrote on his Instagram story. ”Nate [Boyer, a former NFL player and Green Beret,] and Kap [Colin Kaepernick] came to an agreement that kneeling was the most respectful way to support our military while also standing up for equality.

So the NFL has two choices here. Cut the anthem out or have most players kneel at it.

knownone

Reaction score
Baker is the epitome of this generation. He says he's not going to say anything, but then he finds a reason to say something, so he says it. He just wants attention.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
knownone":1evgss27 said:
Baker is the epitome of this generation. He says he's not going to say anything, but then he finds a reason to say something, so he says it. He just wants attention.

For sure with Mayfield, but lots of people follow trends. Kneeling is going to be a hot trend if the anthem is played, particularly this year.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2jqi0r93 said:
knownone":2jqi0r93 said:

For sure with Mayfield, but lots of people follow trends. Kneeling is going to be a hot trend if the anthem is played, particularly this year.
Good point and observation Known..
That's the problem with todays young ones they gotta
follow today's trends SCH..I remember the saying
"Are you jumping off the bridge because everyone else is?"

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Fair.

I predict Tom Brady will kneel or at least make a gesture as he's spoken on the issue before and frankly there's more potential in national sponsorships, maybe, if he does.

Baker (hopefully!) won't be getting another Progressive Insurance series. But he will surely be angling for one.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I applaud Baker for taking a stand.
As Colin Kap has proven, some things in life are bigger than football.
I wish these owners would understand that. But most of them don't give a damned ... The greediest bastards ...

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And it's his right to do so. The fact that many STILL think that Kaep taking a knee somehow disrespected the country and/or flag says a lot. Look where we are right now....

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Saints safety Malcolm Jenkins has been hired as a contributor to CNN, where he’ll comment on national affairs related to racism and social justice. He’ll appear on several CNN studio shows.

“Having spent years running non-profits and supporting grassroots organizations to address the inequalities of our criminal justice system, educational system and disparate wealth in our marginalized communities, I believe I can be a voice for other athlete activists and those who have dedicated their lives to changing legislation, policies and reforms for human equality,” Jenkins said in a statement. “Now more than ever, the public needs to be educated on the roles of elected positions of power, such as the District Attorney, Police Chief or City Council and how to hold those individuals accountable, especially through their voice and their vote. In an important election year, I’m eager to join the CNN family and share my perspective as a regular contributor.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... l-justice/

sdog1981

Reaction score
joeseahawks":10pi9jtd said:
I wish these owners would understand that. But most of them don't give a damned ... The greediest bastards ...

Baker Mayfield is Virtue Signalling. He only cares about himself and his image. It is the same thing as any corporation pretending to care about social issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_si ... l%20values.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Your proof is what? A wikipedia definition?

sdog1981":2lgy5r9x said:
joeseahawks":2lgy5r9x said:

Baker Mayfield is Virtue Signalling. He only cares about himself and his image. It is the same thing as any corporation pretending to care about social issues.

sdog1981

Reaction score
joeseahawks":37a2kgiw said:
Your proof is what? A wikipedia definition?

sdog1981":37a2kgiw said:
joeseahawks":37a2kgiw said:

Check out Malcolm Gladwell's book "Talking to Strangers", it is a pretty fascinating looking into peoples willingness to believe strangers, also known as, Truth-default theory.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Originally, I was against kneeling because to me, the National Anthem is there to Honor the Fallen Soldier, those that made the Ultimate Sacrifice.

However, if the Players had come out and said "We still want to honor the Fallen Soldier, but we need this venue to bring attention to.." Then I think they would have gotten a much clearer message across. You cannot just ignore those in the Military to whom the Flag is sacred. Do them the common courtesy of Respecting the Flag, while using the opportunity to get America's attention.

Now I'm all for it, because this seems to be the only way to get people's attention, and by now, they should all know what the protest is about. Still, I would hope that they put out several statements, Twitter, Snapchat, NFLN, everwhere they can, to clarify their respect for the Military, and the need to get this message out.

My dad was a WW2 Pilot, and my Mom was in the WAC. Both were/are active in the VFW, so I've been brought up to respect the Flag, and what it stands for. But the insanity of some people, and a few police officers is out of control, and needs to be addressed.

So go Baker Mayfield. Stand up for your Brothers and Sisters.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
The Drew Brees Argument ... How sad it keeps popping up ...
It is very unfortunate to see that there are people who believe that the history through the lens of their ancestors represents the only history for all Americans.
Black history is American history. Some want to ignore it ... oh well !!!
I will let Nick Wright explain history in the perspective of millions of other Americans. Feel free to start around minute 10.
[youtube]kq8P8lQUL5o[/youtube]
ivotuk":385aqm6q said:
My dad was a WW2 Pilot, and my Mom was in the WAC. Both were/are active in the VFW, so I've been brought up to respect the Flag, and what it stands for. But the insanity of some people, and a few police officers is out of control, and needs to be addressed.

So go Baker Mayfield. Stand up for your Brothers and Sisters.

Latest posts