Hawks To Sign AB?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It said "had," as in past tense.

Pete and John vet out every available free agent, even knuckleheads like Brown, especially when your franchise QB publicly lobbies for him to come here.

I want no part of AB right now. If we have a rash of WR injuries during the season? Sure, I'm all for seeing if we can get Brown to play the rest of the season.

But now? No thanks. Especially true if Gordon gets reinstated.

Rat

Reaction score
This title feels a little misleading. There's nothing indicating that signing AB is imminent, just that we're one of two teams to reportedly have had internal discussions about him.

I like Gordon a great deal, and as somebody who has dealt with similar issues, I am very sympathetic to his plight. That being said, AB is about a million times better, and I'd prefer to go that route if the cost difference isn't TOO crazy.

AB would have to accept not getting a million targets a game though. This is a run-first team with potentially a lot of quality options to spread it around to in the passing game.

Largent80

Reaction score
Antonio Brown is the definition of jackwad in the human experience. He can play but the jackwad is 3:1.

Rat

Reaction score
Cyrus12":224hm96i said:
No faith in Lockett and Metcalf to be 1a and 1b?

I wouldn't say that. More like there should be some urgency to load up during Russ' prime, and there are a lot of question marks behind those two, plus our best two TEs are injury-risks. I don't think they'd be even considering AB if he was likely to draw a large salary, but if he comes at a reasonable cost... wow, that is one potentially ridiculous arsenal. You know, if we actually threw the ball.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rat":2zrdegjk said:
Cyrus12":2zrdegjk said:

I wouldn't say that. More like there should be some urgency to load up during Russ' prime, and there are a lot of question marks behind those two, plus our best two TEs are injury-risks. I don't think they'd be even considering AB if he was likely to draw a large salary, but if he comes at a reasonable cost... wow, that is one potentially ridiculous arsenal. You know, if we actually threw the ball.

Let's talk distraction and personality.

Anyone paying even a little attention to what Brown's done in both Pittsburgh, Oakland and in his own personal life knows that at best he's irrational and unpredictable.........and at worst a full blown unhinged disrupting narcissist.

What makes you think he'd behave in Seattle? Do you think he's contrite and a changed man? Because that's very rare. Very few players like Brown all of a sudden do a 180 and change their spots.

I think he'd be like Harvin. Come in, be restrained for a little while, then not be able to control himself and burn every bridge he can inside and outside the locker room. Now Harvin helped us win a SB, but by no stretch would I say he was even in the top 20 players who contributed and was vital.

Rat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2fke8ubn said:
Rat":2fke8ubn said:
Cyrus12":2fke8ubn said:

Let's talk distraction and personality.

Anyone paying even a little attention to what Brown's done in both Pittsburgh, Oakland and in his own personal life knows that at best he's irrational and unpredictable.........and at worst a full blown unhinged disrupting narcissist.

What makes you think he'd behave in Seattle? Do you think he's contrite and a changed man? Because that's very rare. Very few players like Brown all of a sudden do a 180 and change their spots.

I think he'd be like Harvin. Come in, be restrained for a little while, then not be able to control himself and burn every bridge he can inside and outside the locker room. Now Harvin helped us win a SB, but by no stretch would I say he was even in the top 20 players who contributed and was vital.

It would certainly be a risk, but I think we're one of the best-equipped franchises in the league to handle it. Even with the Steelers, he didn't really sabotage anything. When he left, the chatter increased that his teammates found him selfish. I'm sure he still is, but I'm hoping, possibly foolishly, that things have gotten bad enough where he will at least keep his mouth mostly shut. It sounds like Russ really likes him too, which doesn't hurt.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
chet380":3vtsivnw said:
It's a no-lose situation for the Hawks

From a financial standpoint, sure.

From a having a person who clearly has a serious mental health or substance abuse issue in the locker room perspective? There's plenty to lose.

xray

Reaction score
AB is Percy Harvin 2.0 nope...

Rat

Reaction score
xray":17yw07uv said:
AB is Percy Harvin 2.0 nope...

People on here keep making this comparison, but I don't see it. Percy was exceptionally hurtful because we traded a 1, 3, and 7 for him, and then signed him to a new six-year $67 million deal with $25.5 million in guarantees. AB would cost nothing in draft compensation, and is unlikely to require an initial investment of more than one season.

Also, before his one-game 2019 season, he nabbed 100+ receptions in each of his previous six seasons, with a high of 136. Harvin had 87 catches in his best season, and 71 in his next best. Harvin had 967 receiving yards in his best season (he did add 345 rushing though). AB AVERAGED 1524 receiving yards over his last six seasons, with a high of 1834. AB tallied 109.5 receiving yards per game in 2017. Harvin averaged 75.2 in his best season (85.9 if you add his rushing yards).

I was actually very much in favor of the Harvin trade at the time, as he was only 25 in his first season here and ridiculously electric. That is one in Harvin's favor as AB turns 32 next month, but my main point with all this is that the two situations aren't very comparable. We wouldn't really be depending on AB; it's a short-term risk/reward thing.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
He’d be much less of a distraction to the team than kaepernick would be.

I would take a chance on him. A Pro not a Joe.

Bet if we are going to be 27th in the league in pass vs run percentage don’t bother.

I wish a good player would become available in a position of true need rather than WR and Safety.

Teahawks

Reaction score
There's too many mouths to feed if we sign AB. In a pass first offense, maybe he's happy. But in this offense he would have to be happy with games of 3 targets and 2 catches for 21 yards. Or if not Brown, either Lockett or Metcalf would have regular games like that. They seem humble enough to accept that, but not AB. Guy was jealous anytime Ben threw to Smith-Schuster.

It'd be great if we could have 1,000 yards each for Lockett, Brown, and Metcalf...but that just doesn't happen. Ideally, you'd have your WR1-3 all happy to take a back seat at various points. But they want to get paid too, so that isn't going to happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Doesn't Brown still have TWO pending assault charges to be worked out? If I remember right he and a trainer assaulted a delivery driver, then he was accused of assaulting a maid or something in his own home.

I can't imagine Goodell isn't going to suspend him again when this all shakes out.

No thanks for me.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I actually like the fact that he won't be playing for part of the year. He can come in at the end of the year rested and tear up the tired opposing defenses on the stretch run and into the playoffs.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect this story has more to do with the team kicking every tire and rolling over every rock, being constantly on the search for advantageous situations.

I’m sure the FO has had more than one discussion about AB. Is his tremendous upside potential talent worth the media circus he brings with him and the undoubted personal selfishness of the addition of this talent? A lesson was learned with Harvin and AB at least brings a willingness to play unlike Harvin who played only on his terms. In the end talent or not I doubt he ever becomes a player for the Hawks, the player just brings too much baggage.

James in PA

Reaction score
These news stories are kind of silly if you think about it. “Seahawks, Ravens have have had internal discussions about signing Antonio Brown.” I’m sure just about every team in the NFL has had internal discussions about this.

“Hey, AB is still out there. Should we bring him in for a workout?”

“No!”

“Ok, well, at least we discussed it.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1nhmx2xm said:
He’d be much less of a distraction to the team than kaepernick would be.

I would take a chance on him. A Pro not a Joe.

Bet if we are going to be 27th in the league in pass vs run percentage don’t bother.

I wish a good player would become available in a position of true need rather than WR and Safety.

From the Article in the post above.

Antonio Brown's transgressions.

• Threatening a reporter for writing a critical article about him
• Tossing furniture out of his apartment window, nearly hitting a toddler
• Driving over 100 MPH on a suburban highway
• Several domestic incidents, one of which he streamed live on Instagram
• An NSFW music video for a rap song that is just him repeating the phase “I gotta whole lotta money”
• A doctor sued him for unpaid fees
• An allegation of sexual misconduct, which led to Brown sending the alleged victim intimidating texts
• The aforementioned sexual assault allegation
• The aforementioned no contest plea to felony burglary with battery charge

In the locker room
• Broadcast his team’s celebration of a playoff victory despite his teammates requests to keep a low profile on social media
• Skipped practices leading up to a Week 17 must-win game to make the playoffs in 2018, and was benched
• Demanded a trade from Pittsburgh less than two years after signing a massive extension
• Got frostbite on his feet after not wearing proper footwear to a cryotherapy session
• Refused to practice after the NFL banned his helmet
• Missed several practices in Oakland, resulting in fines
• Reached out to social media consultants for advice on how to expedite his release
• Confronted Raiders general manager Mike Mayock in an altercation that nearly turned physical
• Apologized with a 20-second statement, then demanded his release the next day

As a teammate
• Got angry after A PRACTICE for a lack of targets in 2015
• Pouted after his teammate DeAngelo Williams scored Pittsburgh’s first TD of the 2017 AFC Championship game
• Threw a Gatorade cooler during a game in 2017 after a play in which he was open and didn’t get the ball
• Got angry at an assistant coach, sulked after a Ben Roethlisberger TD run, and was angry about his involvement in the offense all in one 2018 game against the Chiefs in which he was targeted 17 times

Kaepernick.

Knelt down during the national anthem.

What a world we live in when the latter is more of a distraction.