NFL Hall of Fame - Edgerrin James

hawkfan68

Reaction score
How did E. James get in and following guys still aren’t in -

Otis Anderson - over 10,000 total rushing yards, 86 tds, Super Bowl mvp.

Ricky Waters - over 14,000 rushing yards, 91 tds,

Roger Craig - over 13,000 rushing yards, 73 tds.

Chuck Foreman - over 10,000 rushing yards, 73 tds.

Eddie George - over 10,000 rushing yards, 78 tds.

Any of the above ran circles around Edgerrin James.

Edgerrin was a good rb but definitely not great or HOF’er. At least not one that should have made it in before many of the guys listed above.

Maulbert

Reaction score
hawkfan68":pu8h16vm said:

Edgerrin was a good rb but definitely not great or HOF’er. At least not one that should have made it in before many of the guys listed above.

Ricky Watters ran for only 10,643 yards and 78 TDs. Roger Craig only ran for 8,189 yards and 56 TDs. Chuck Forman ran for 5,950 yards and 53 TDs. Edgerrin James ran for 12,246 yards and 80 TDs. Get your facts straight first next time. You were adding their reception numbers to their rushing totals. James numbers go up if you do the same with him, too.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Maulbert":33u9z7g9 said:
hawkfan68":33u9z7g9 said:

Ricky Watters ran for only 10,643 yards and 78 TDs. Roger Craig only ran for 8,189 yards and 56 TDs. Chuck Forman ran for 5,950 yards and 53 TDs. Edgerrin James ran for 12,246 yards and 80 TDs. Get your facts straight first next time. You were adding their reception numbers to their rushing totals. James numbers go up if you do the same with him, too.

You're correct. I took their numbers as rushing yards in actual it was total yards. My error. The article I saw had some with total yards and some with rushing yards. I should have been more careful. But my opinion still stands. There are plenty of guys who deserve to be in HOF more than James who are not in.

While Roger Craig and Ricky Watters didn’t have had the rushing yards. They are both Super Bowl Champions. Craig is 3 times super bowl champ. Watters is 5 time pro bowler along with a Super Bowl championship.

10,000 rushing yards as being the standard for rbs getting in to HOF is a crock. IMO, that should be changed. Look at the impact a back has on the game. That’s more telling. Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Christian Okoye were a few I would consider as generational backs.

I don’t believe Edgerrin was a special back, neither was Jerome Bettis for that matter. They had the rushing totals but did little else to put their respective teams over the top.

KinesProf

Reaction score
Odd take.

Edge has over 12,000 rushing yards and 80tds, and over 3,000 receiving yards and 11 tds. Better than Ottis in 4 fewer seasons; Ricky's numbers are very strong; Craig, not close, respectable, but not in Edge's ballpark; Chuck Foreman - his numbers don't appear close to what you posted - not in Edge's class; Eddie George - again, not close.

Edge was also 2x first team all-pro, 2x second team all-pro, 2x rushing yards leader, rookie of the year, and 2000's all decade team.

I'm really not buying any argument that Edge isn't a Hall of Famer. It's asinine.

chris98251

Reaction score
KinesProf":39x7bqwy said:
Odd take.

Edge has over 12,000 rushing yards and 80tds, and over 3,000 receiving yards and 11 tds. Better than Ottis in 4 fewer seasons; Ricky's numbers are very strong; Craig, not close, respectable, but not in Edge's ballpark; Chuck Foreman - his numbers don't appear close to what you posted - not in Edge's class; Eddie George - again, not close.

Edge was also 2x first team all-pro, 2x second team all-pro, 2x rushing yards leader, rookie of the year, and 2000's all decade team.

I'm really not buying any argument that Edge isn't a Hall of Famer. It's asinine.

Remember you have to scale this stuff to season length as well.

Throw in outdoor stadiums like Minny for half the season it becomes a bit convoluted since there are factors in play that don't make everyone an apple.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
chris98251":2xac7scf said:
KinesProf":2xac7scf said:
Odd take.

Throw in outdoor stadiums like Minny for half the season it becomes a bit convoluted since there are factors in play that don't make everyone an apple.

Exactly. I'm not saying that E. James was terrible. I just believe there are backs that deserve to be in the HOF but are left out. IMO, should be in before him. Chuck Foreman played in the 1970s and during the majority of his career, the NFL teams only played 14 game seasons. The NFL moved to a 16 game schedule in 1978 which was around the tail end of his career. Really the point I'm trying to make is you can't just go by stats to determine a HOF player. You have to see the entire impact of the player on his team and the league.

KinesProf

Reaction score
hawkfan68":ke88xdbb said:
chris98251":ke88xdbb said:
KinesProf":ke88xdbb said:
Odd take.

you can't just go by stats to determine a HOF player.

You're the one who introduced statistics in this debate, no one else. Don't bail on statistics after it's been proven that they don't support your original position; it's intellectually dishonest.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Saw Edge plenty and his first five years were HOF worthy
There are guys in there with fewer seasons played and a
lot less yards so hard to deny this guys numbers.
However that offense and Peyton did allow him some
great holes since you had to account for Harrison,Wayne
and Clark..