Brady or Bill?

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I think its more Bill then Tom. I believe Tom is great but Bill is the straw that stirs the drink.

I also think Tom left NE to prove he didn't need Bill but he also did it at this time to cover himself. If he loses and sucks? Old age. If he wins? Goat for sure. Tom Brady is smart with the move as it is a win win situation imo.

chrispy

Reaction score
If the Bucs make it to the playoffs, it's a successful season. If the Pats don't win the SB, it's a failure of a season. ... just because of expectations.

I think Bill will have a pretty bad season. He spends more time than anyone preparing in the offseason, but now he's had more players opt out compared to every other team. It'll require new players that are required to both buy into his program and have the physical and mental capabilities to adjust as he requires. I think he'll have a hard time compensating for Brady's ability to adjust to his weekly plans/changes and a pile of new players that also will be new to his "style."

I'm not saying Brady is the end-all-be-all. I don't think he'll win the SuperBowl this year. So that means he's had one of his worst years in the last decade.... But, he could easily make the playoffs and that would be a "win" for the Bucs.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The likelihood that Brady could have played for another coach and been as successful is low.

The likelihood that Belechick would have found another QB who could have had the needed dedication, execution, and mindset is also low.

chris98251

Reaction score
bmorepunk":a0jzh2zu said:
The likelihood that Brady could have played for another coach and been as successful is low.

The likelihood that Belechick would have found another QB who could have had the needed dedication, execution, and mindset is also low.

Found one, Russell Wilson. Oh found two, Drew Brees, oh found three , Peyton Manning.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Brady is a great QB, but I think that Bill Belichick was overall more important to the success of the Patriots franchise. The guy just has an eye for detail that most head coaches lack. Another poster said it best, he's a coach that would coach his coaches. His approach to the game is just different than most head coaches in the NFL. Most guys are like Carroll or perhaps Reid, they stick to their respective schematic philosophies and don't deviate. Belichick on the other hand will pull out some formations that others have never seen him use. One season he may be 4-3 the next he may be 3-4. Sometimes he'll be a smashmouth, hard-nosed football team, the other times he'll field an Andy Reid style finesse offense. His adaptability and willingness to change his schematic philosophies on offense and defense at a moments notice is something I haven't seen from many head coaches.

Most coaches just learn one style from another coach and it becomes their identity. Reid learned from Holmgren, he has stayed current with trends, but the WCO is still very apparent in his approach. Carroll was a disciple of Monte Kiffin, and and as a result we see many of the same concepts. He's changed up a few things for sure, but you can clearly trace the lineage. They've added things here and there but it is very clear what the genesis of their philosophies are. Same could be said about most of the coaches in the NFL. How Bill Belichick operates is very far away from the Parcells system he was brought up in. Occasionally he returns, but he has flirted with many different approaches and systems. He is a chameleon that changes with the scape of his team and his opponents. I can't say i've seen many coaches in the NFL operate the way Belichick has. They are too married to their way even when the team situation doesn't necessarily merritt that particular approach.

I think Brady would still be an elite QB, but I think he would have just one or two rings without Belichick assuming that he had the same skill level throughout his career. I think that if you put Wilson, Brees, Rodgers, Peyton Manning, and a few others on the Patriots that you would get similar results.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The first three were all Bill and his tactics. The middle two were won by Brady playing out of his mind aginst the Seahawks and Falcons. The last one aginst the Rams was a pure Bill tactics victory.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Agreed. Without Belichick, Brady has, at most, 1 to 2 rings. He's a great QB, but not the GOAT that he is made out to be.

Replace him with almost any other top tier QB, and the replacement would have just as many rings.

Maulbert

Reaction score
bigskydoc":3qqvqrma said:
Agreed. Without Belichick, Brady has, at most, 1 to 2 rings. He's a great QB, but not the GOAT that he is made out to be.

Replace him with almost any other top tier QB, and the replacement would have just as many rings.

Best way I could put it: without Belicheat, Brady is Eli Manning at best. Capable of greatness in small quantities.