1 Year ago Andrew Luck retires

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's funny, the GM that got "Executive of the Year" for drafting Luck, is also the one responsible for shortening his career.

The Colts had a garbage offensive line, and Luck got destroyed behind it.

An article from yesterday:

Phillip Rivers, others recall their surprise one year after Andrew Luck's abrupt retirement
It's been one year since Luck hung up his cleats for good

By Bryan DeArdo Aug 24, 2020

A year later, Rivers is now tasked with helping the Colts get back to the playoffs for the first time since 2018, when Luck – that year's Comeback Player of the Year – led Indianapolis to the divisional round.

"I was walking off the field in a preseason game at halftime … somebody had gotten it, not a player, but somebody had gotten it when we were in the locker room,"

"One of the first texts I received was from Matthew Hasselbeck (an ESPN analyst and Luck's former teammate with the Colts)," Schefter said on "The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz."

"And he said to me, 'Are you sure?' And I texted back 'Yes.' And he said 'I don't know about that … I spoke to Andrew yesterday and today and he never mentioned anything to me.' And so when Andrew Luck's friend, and teammate and backup quarterback texted me asking me if I was right, I have to say it made me a little bit uneasy."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/phil ... etirement/

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
As someone who's been on a pain contract since 2007, I can relate. You get so tired all of the time. You don't want to get out of bed because you know you're going to face pain as soon as you start to move. Then after an hour, things start to loosen up, you feel pretty good, but for no reason, pain starts shooting down your leg. or your lower back hurts, and there's a knot like a rock in between your shoulder blades, but work calls and you can't take the time to deal with it.

I'm glad he made the decision he did, before he became a cripple and his quality of life took a huge dump.

Why did Andrew Luck retire? Colts QB's decision to end NFL career, explained

Written By Tadd Haislop

At some point in the middle of August in 2019, Andrew Luck decided enough was enough. He was in pain yet again, and this time, the agony was not ceasing. He told Colts owner Jim Irsay and team officials he needed to retire from football in order to live the life he wants to live, a life without this kind of suffering.

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft missed the entire 2017 season while recovering from a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder, and he did that after playing the entire 2016 season through pain.

Luck was dealing with a mysterious ankle injury — "a myriad of issues," as he says — that was not improving. He was stuck in a cycle of injury, pain and rehab, and he figured retirement was the only way out of that cycle.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... wm8dy4pops

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't miss him at all and sure as hell don't feel sorry for him.
He first hurt his shoulder snowboarding ..
The ankle was a non football injury(mysterious) they said.
He made his money and quit ..
He didn't rehab like he should have and that tells me enough.
He's has had an OL they did get snakebit hurt but that excuse
saying he didn't have one is bullshit.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Grigson was such an overrated GM. And I also remember people saying Elway should have won Exec of the Year for signing Peyton Manning. Both completely overblown in their accomplishments.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":in91iv6t said:
I don't miss him at all and sure as hell don't feel sorry for him.
He first hurt his shoulder snowboarding ..
The ankle was a non football injury(mysterious) they said.
He made his money and quit ..
He didn't rehab like he should have and that tells me enough.
He's has had an OL they did get snakebit hurt but that excuse
saying he didn't have one is $h!t.

174 sacks in 86 games.

Still not as much as Russell, but they play different style games.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
ivotuk":1z1y6ftf said:
174 sacks in 86 games.

Still not as much as Russell, but they play different style games.

I don't think Russel Wilson has recorded a single sack yet, let alone racking up more than 174. He plays offense.