NFC West Stable of QB's

gowazzu02

Reaction score
It hit me again yesterday. Jimmy G and Goff just aren't THE GUY.

McVay was afraid to have Goff throw it further than a yard or two down field. They DOMINATED that game, but basically played it with one arm tied behind his back. Refusing to really throw the ball.

Jimmy G proved once again, that when the moment gets big, he gets small.

Russ is obviously the class of the division and proving to be the class of the entire league.

Murray... Just may already be the second best QB in the division, kids got moxie. I could see the Cards being our main rival for division titles for years to come.

94Smith

Reaction score
Garoppolo was tied with Russ for fourth quarter come backs last year. 4 - tops in the league. You have recency bias. I also think Goff will have a strong year this year as the Rams offensive line and run game appear better.

Ultimately QB is the most important position , but you have to have talent everywhere to win divisions

OP
OP
gowazzu02

gowazzu02

Reaction score
94Smith":31wdz1k3 said:
Garoppolo was tied with Russ for fourth quarter come backs last year. 4 - tops in the league. You have recency bias. I also think Goff will have a strong year this year as the Rams offensive line and run game appear better.

Ultimately QB is the most important position , but you have to have talent everywhere to win divisions

No recency bias here. I've been beating the Jimmy G is a league average qb drum since they traded and subsequently paid him. He's Kirk Cousins with a beautiful 5 o'clock shadow. LOL

The recency, is him proving me right in big time situations.

Maulbert

Reaction score
94Smith":uxx4870o said:

I'd say you have recency bias. Wilson has been putting the Hawks on his shoulders for years. Garoppolo had one good year with a great cast. He has shown no ability to carry his team when the chips are down. If you think one season puts Garoppolo in the same zip code as Wilson in any factor, you're a bigger homer than I thought.

94Smith

Reaction score
I did not say he was as good as Wilson. He is anywhere from 10-15 best in the league right now. Which was good enough to make it to the Super Bowl last year with our team. There were games last year like Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington where he played poorly and was bailed out by our defense and running game. But both Arizona games, the New Orleans game, the second LA game and I would argue the second Seahawk game he took the team to wins.

Plus if he is more of a liability than an asset after this season, the 49ers will move on, especially if Rodgers is on the market

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
JimmyG is an OK to above average quarterback who came to at the time a below-average team. The elevation last year came because the pieces around him were outstanding. Last year, it was an int almost every game, so they cleaned that up by having him pass less. This year, he's late on his throws and misses people. He's not exactly a rook and there is potential for improvement, but given his age he is probably about top of his field right now.

Whereas Russ has adapted to and changed his game. He doesn't take off with the ball as frequently, but the game plan and pieces have shifted around him and he has changed his approach to focus more on accuracy. Which isn't JimmyG's forte.

Kyler Murray is like baby Russ/Lamar Jackson hybrid. He for sure will give us fits when we play the Cards, and we're spooked by them anyway since whenever we go out there, we lose a couple players to injuries.

Goff is just OK. One good year, but he is past his prime already.

Maulbert

Reaction score
94Smith":2snlq87g said:
I did not say he was as good as Wilson. He is anywhere from 10-15 best in the league right now. Which was good enough to make it to the Super Bowl last year with our team. There were games last year like Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington where he played poorly and was bailed out by our defense and running game. But both Arizona games, the New Orleans game, the second LA game and I would argue the second Seahawk game he took the team to wins.

Plus if he is more of a liability than an asset after this season, the 49ers will move on, especially if Rodgers is on the market

You made a direct comparison in 4th quarter comebacks between Jimmy G and Russ. I very clearly wrote 'in any factor'.

balakoth

Reaction score
I love when people compare 1 year success vs several.

Grand.. he "led" 4 come backs (Did you actually look at those stats on the throws or runs.. probably not)

While on the flip side Wilson still holds most comebacks in the span of his career than any other QB.

Derp

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Wilson is by far the best QB in the NFC West.

Unfortunately for Seattle, they may have the worst roster around their QB in the NFC West.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
recency bias. With Jimmy G is there any other kind of bias to have. Hasn't he only started one complete season?

uncle fester

Reaction score
I read only today that Jimmy G’s contract makes cutting him quite easy after this season. Which is kinda surprising, given the extortionate amount of money they’ve paid him to date. Anyone else surprised by how (seemingly) quickly that’s come around?

Kyler Murray looks like he’s put the work in during the offseason. I think he can only get better with Hopkins as the new favourite toy.

I can’t shift the feeling that, with Goff, the lights are on but nobody’s home. But again, he’s being paid a small country’s GDP to look gormless in the face of most game situations. So hooray for any cap problems that causes the Rams.

94Smith

Reaction score
bigskydoc":2z08m1ts said:
recency bias. With Jimmy G is there any other kind of bias to have. Hasn't he only started one complete season?

He didn't come back in the Super Bowl and he didn't come back in the Zona game, the last two games, but he came back 4 times last year. (and twice?? in 2017) Yet you say he folds under pressure? I don't know how you can form any opinion at all on that matter until you have a couple of seasons. That would be like looking at Wilsons last few games and saying he couldn't lead the comeback against the 49ers in week 17 and against the Packers in the second round of the playoffs and saying he chokes under pressure. Not true because he's been playing for 8 years, but if you looked at 2019 season even in a bubble you couldn't say that because he had 4 comebacks.

Rat

Reaction score
Jimmy G is fine. Probably a little overpaid, but I think he's legitimately good.

Goff though... glad we're not the ones on the hook for his deal.

94Smith

Reaction score
uncle fester":1nwevkjk said:
I read only today that Jimmy G’s contract makes cutting him quite easy after this season. Which is kinda surprising, given the extortionate amount of money they’ve paid him to date. Anyone else surprised by how (seemingly) quickly that’s come around?

Thats the way the contract was set up. It had a lot of money up front and options to decline further years on the contract.

chris98251

Reaction score
94Smith":253xjcam said:
uncle fester":253xjcam said:

Thats the way the contract was set up. It had a lot of money up front and options to decline further years on the contract.

So who is on the inside track to get drafted or are the 49ers hoping for another trade, Brady may be available based on game one .

94Smith

Reaction score
chris98251":21ri8aje said:
94Smith":21ri8aje said:
uncle fester":21ri8aje said:

So who is on the inside track to get drafted or are the 49ers hoping for another trade, Brady may be available based on game one .

I don't think they would move on from him unless the season was disastrous or if a tier one QB like Rodgers came available

Maulbert

Reaction score
94Smith":1fle55na said:
bigskydoc":1fle55na said:

He didn't come back in the Super Bowl and he didn't come back in the Zona game, the last two games, but he came back 4 times last year. (and twice?? in 2017) Yet you say he folds under pressure? I don't know how you can form any opinion at all on that matter until you have a couple of seasons. That would be like looking at Wilsons last few games and saying he couldn't lead the comeback against the 49ers in week 17 and against the Packers in the second round of the playoffs and saying he chokes under pressure. Not true because he's been playing for 8 years, but if you looked at 2019 season even in a bubble you couldn't say that because he had 4 comebacks.

Okay, then. Looking at his whole career, when do you think he's going to get hurt?

Any way you look at it, last season is the outlier.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Rat":2a4lxc23 said:
Jimmy G is fine. Probably a little overpaid, but I think he's legitimately good.

I think Goff is better than Jimmy.

But even if you don't, as long as he keeps a winning record against Seattle, I'm happy with him at QB.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Ramfan128":19ti83ue said:
Rat":19ti83ue said:

I think Goff is better than Jimmy.

But even if you don't, as long as he keeps a winning record against Seattle, I'm happy with him at QB.

Goff is more physically talented. I'd probably trust Jimmy G's brain a little more. I wouldn't want to be latched to either.

TAB420

Reaction score
Ramfan128":15k9li6p said:
Wilson is by far the best QB in the NFC West.

Unfortunately for Seattle, they may have the worst roster around their QB in the NFC West.
You spelled LA wrong.