Richard Sherman to the IR--Florio

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The 49ers are going to be without cornerback Richard Sherman for a spell.

Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports that Sherman is going to be placed on injured reserve on Wednesday.
Sherman played 78-of-82 snaps in last Sunday’s loss to the Cardinals and there was no sign of a medical problem during the game. Garafolo reports that it is a leg injury, but does not elaborate on the exact nature of the issue.

Sherman did give the 49ers a scare during a training camp practice when he appeared to hurt his lower leg during a drill. He stepped off the field for a brief examination before returning to the field.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... d-reserve/

94Smith

Reaction score
Thankfully not the whole year (yet) . Shermans body is starting to show its age. Thankfully our schedule is a little easier the next few weeks with no premium receivers to speak of, but not a good injury to start the season with

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's a big blow. How did he play overall? I heard he looked a little slow, but if he's playing injured that might explain it.

94Smith

Reaction score
Hopkins was mostly lined up on Mosely. They moved Sherman to his side a few times. I thought he got beat once on a comeback route, but as usual with Sherman they didn't really throw his way. He is good in run support. The last time we played the cardinals he got 3 PI calls and the other game he took the wrong angle on a tackle and allowed a 90 catch and run TD, so better than those two games! He is looking slower though but he makes up for it in positioning

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I love Sherman. Always will. Don't care where he plays.

And that team delivered us a Super Bowl win.

Then, a Sherman that was no longer the great player he once was - still was helpful in getting another team to a SB.

He is an all-time great. Looking forward to seeing him back on the field after his recovery.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Its the weirdest thing.

Just seems the last few years that when the Niners get injuries, they come in numbers to a single position group.

Last year, it was OT. At one point they were starting their #4 and #5 tackles.

On Sunday, they were playing their #4, #5, and #6 WRs.

Sherman just went on IR, Witherspoon in Concussion Protocol, and Verrett still hurt.

There are no excuses. You have to lace them up and play with the guys you got...just amazing to me that they get hit so hard at a single position.

I think you guys had the same thing last year at RB and TE? That correct?

James in PA

Reaction score
Didn’t like the way he went out, but will always have fond memories of what he did for us on the field. Get well, Sherm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This ^
I'll celebrate him AFTER he retires. Not a huge fan at how he acted before leaving. But whatever, it's just sports. Sherm the person is a hell of a good guy.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Marvin49":2uev614e said:
Its the weirdest thing.

Just seems the last few years that when the Niners get injuries, they come in numbers to a single position group.

Sherman just went on IR, Witherspoon in Concussion Protocol, and Verrett still hurt.

There are no excuses. You have to lace them up and play with the guys you got...just amazing to me that they get hit so hard at a single position.

Yeah pretty much. I found myself asking the same thing last season, as you are now, tbh. Last year we got all the way down to one healthy RB, Homer, who was a rookie and had barely seen the field at that point. Like somebody was happily sticking pins in a doll somewhere.

The TE injury thing has been so predictable with this team that it’s never a great shock any time one gets injured. Last year was no different. Might seem cold as a reaction but there’s a long and repetitive history. It’s more of a surprise when a starter makes it to the end of a season unscathed.

EDIT: And back on point, I can never cheer for an opponent getting hurt. Sherman has played through all manner of injuries and (as far as I can remember) without complaint. I hope he gets better soon.

Marvin49

Reaction score
uncle fester":1xa17urr said:
Marvin49":1xa17urr said:
Its the weirdest thing.

Yeah pretty much. I found myself asking the same thing last season, as you are now, tbh. Last year we got all the way down to one healthy RB, Homer, who was a rookie and had barely seen the field at that point. Like somebody was happily sticking pins in a doll somewhere.

The TE injury thing has been so predictable with this team that it’s never a great shock any time one gets injured. Last year was no different. Might seem cold as a reaction but there’s a long and repetitive history. It’s more of a surprise when a starter makes it to the end of a season unscathed.

EDIT: And back on point, I can never cheer for an opponent getting hurt. Sherman has played through all manner of injuries and (as far as I can remember) without complaint. I hope he gets better soon.

I don't think its severe at all.

The new IR rule put no limit on the number of guys you can bring back and they only have to miss 3 weeks. Deebo, for example, was put on IR before week 1.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Never understood the hate against Sherm on these boards, especially after he left.

Sherm is one intelligent guy. Yeah he runs his mouth. All part of his game. I still have a soft spot for him, even though he is on the niners.

He has slowed down quite a bit over the past few years but like Marv said, he makes up for it by being in the right spot at the right time. He'll get beat 1x a game. People tend to see him get beat more often than see him make plays.

He is good at run support. That is one part of his game that I've always appreciated.

I hope he comes back for a 1 year retirement tour. We'll see.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":186jlpsx said:
Its the weirdest thing.

Def at RB. I mean, you saw how it was, three guys moved to the IR and us turning to Lynch...I like him but he's what he is now, not what he was.

Moseley I'll say was fairly disappointing but i give him credit given ttohat he was against Hopkins who might actually be a top 5. The local sports news is already calling him the best receiver in the league, after all.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Kittle ruled out for practice for knee sprain. Mostert out to attend the birth of his child. They signed some guy from the Dolphins PS for CB.

An astounding amount of ill-timing for what should be a well-prepared team but like I said, Hopkins/Murray is going to give us all fits and it wasn't all the 9ers fault. If they rack up Ls against the lowly Jets, Giants and Eagles it'll be more like 2017 for them.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
94Smith":zo94011q said:
Thankfully not the whole year (yet) . Shermans body is starting to show its age. Thankfully our schedule is a little easier the next few weeks with no premium receivers to speak of, but not a good injury to start the season with
Yep, and the guy is a physical player. That’s what made him great during his time here. Physical, athletic, and extremely high football IQ.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1v87rmff said:
Its the weirdest thing.

Yep 4th string RB and 4th string TE going into week 16 and playoffs.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1ecowgbk said:
This ^
I'll celebrate him AFTER he retires. Not a huge fan at how he acted before leaving. But whatever, it's just sports. Sherm the person is a hell of a good guy.
Didn’t always love his “antics” but he helped get us a ring and gave the team some swagger.
Also he didn’t leave us, Seattle cut him.

chris98251

Reaction score
One year it was our DB's, another the RB'S another Lineman couldn't stay healthy and we were hiring street guys, then TE group got hit, Super Bowl Year Avril and Bennett and some others. It comes in waves and yes seems to target a group, not to leave out WR's also, we had guys out there that should not have been playing Like Baldwin and Kearse one year.