Seriously, where are the Rams getting this money?

JustTheTip

Reaction score
They are signing them on Section 15, Paragraph 13, Line item 355 which states that the NFL needs football to be succesful in LA.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
JustTheTip":2zqnv9cf said:
They are signing them on Section 15, Paragraph 13, Line item 355 which states that the NFL needs football to be succesful in LA.
You might be on to something there. 8)

I’d assume it’s a severely back loaded contract?

chris98251

Reaction score
Well they do have a habit of signing players to contracts and then cutting and not paying them also......

Matthews and Gurly I think are still being told the checks in the mail unless I missed an article somewhere saying different.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
The Rams have always had money in future years. They have a ton of players on cheap or rookie deals, and then we have Goff, Donald, Higbee, Havenstein, Whitworth and Brockers and Ramsey for this year with decently sized cap hits. Kupp, Woods and Ramsey's huge cap hits don't come until next season.

Guys like Robinson and Whitworth can be cut next year (Whit will probably retire) to save some money.

But this Woods contract IMO will be the end of it - we have Goff, Kupp, Woods, Van Jefferson, Higbee, Akers, Donald, Ramsey, and Rapp all locked up for the next 3-4 years.

We also have a few OL with potential still early in their rookie deals.

For next year we will need to draft EDGE, CB and OL in the first three rounds - we've been pretty good hitting in those rounds - not worried about CB, so it comes down to landing one above average EDGE and one above average OL to replace Floyd and Whitworth respectively.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Do Rams really sign Goff to a long term deal?

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
The Rams likely receive money from the same areas other NFL teams do: merchandise, ticket sales, and advertising revenue.

Marvin49

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":30ice220 said:
The Rams likely receive money from the same areas other NFL teams do: merchandise, ticket sales, and advertising revenue.

Its not about real $$$$$. Their owner is either the richest or one of the richest NFL owners (I'm not sure who technically owns the Seahawks since the passing of Paul Allen).

Question is how are they fitting under cap.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":3pdma7t9 said:
BirdsCommaAngry":3pdma7t9 said:

Its not about real $$$$$. Their owner is either the richest or one of the richest NFL owners (I'm not sure who technically owns the Seahawks since the passing of Paul Allen).

Allen's part went to his family who is representing it and all nfl owners could probably kick in a few hundies or hundred million on their own--but the league doesn't allow this over the top.

So i don't think personal wealth has to do with what's going on there, it could just be a leveraging strategy, Paarag 2.0 5d chess if you will.

Marvin49

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1ig0s7q0 said:
Marvin49":1ig0s7q0 said:
BirdsCommaAngry":1ig0s7q0 said:

Allen's part went to his family who is representing it and all nfl owners could probably kick in a few hundies or hundred million on their own--but the league doesn't allow this over the top.

So i don't think personal wealth has to do with what's going on there, it could just be a leveraging strategy, Paarag 2.0 5d chess if you will.

oh...I'm not saying the personal wealth has anything to do with it. My point was that the money doesn't have to come somewhere. Dude is rich as hell. The real question isn't where actual $$$ are coming from...its how are they fitting it under the cap.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Marvin49":19p5r9g2 said:
SantaClaraHawk":19p5r9g2 said:
Marvin49":19p5r9g2 said:
BirdsCommaAngry":19p5r9g2 said:

oh...I'm not saying the personal wealth has anything to do with it. My point was that the money doesn't have to come somewhere. Dude is rich as hell. The real question isn't where actual $$$ are coming from...its how are they fitting it under the cap.

This^

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Constantly moving salary cap from one year to another.

But, we've only signed Goff, Kupp, Woods, Higbee, Havenstein, Whitworth, Blythe, Donald, Robinson, Ramsey, Brockers - literally the other 42 players on the roster are either on rookie or super cheap deals (Malcolm Brown).

Higbee, Havenstein, Blythe, Robinson are all between 6-9 million. The only players with huge contracts are Goff, Woods, Kupp, Donald and Ramsey - and only Goff and Donald's huge extensions have already kicked in. The other three don't until next year.

The cost of all this has been:

Year one off-season: Sammy Watkins
Year two off-season: LaMarcus Joyner, Rodger Saffold (mistake)
year three off-season: Cory Littleton, Dante Fowler
Upcoming off-season: Everett, Floyd, Ebukam, John Johnson, Malcolm Brown, Josh Reynolds and possibly Troy Hill and Austin Blythe, and Whitworth probably retires

Then the Gurley and Cooks contracts that were mistakes after just two seasons.

What Snead doesn't get enough credit for is letting all these guys go - only Saffold has been a mistake to let go. Despite Fowler having a good year last year, Rams fans believe that if had kept Saffold and let Fowler walk after the Super Bowl, our OL still would have been dominant as he's one of the best guards in the NFL. I think the Rams didn't want to sign him because he's over 30 and has an injury history.

Anyways - the rest of those guys are all average to above average starters (in Saffold and John Johnson, pro bowl caliber), but after we saw what Buddha Baker got, I have no problem letting Johnson go.

But what Snead and McVay have done an outstanding job of is replacing these average to above average starters who will get WAY overpaid in FA with draft picks - so for example, this year we drafted:

Akers to replace Brown
Van Jefferson to replace Reynolds (and Van has looked GOOD)
Terrell Lewis to replace Ebukam
Terrell Burgess and Jordan Fuller to replace John Johnson
Brycen Hopkins to replace Gerald Everett

From the previous draft, David Edwards and Bobby Evans to replace Whitworth

We will need to replace or re-sign Floyd, Hill and Blythe - I personally think we re-sign Blythe and let Floyd and Hill go, then draft their replacements early. As for the draft, too much is made about trading the first round picks - McVay has never picked in the first round, and we've still landed a lot of really good players.

And after losing Littleton and Fowler and only signing Robinson, we're likely be getting 3rd and 5th round comp picks - which has been the key to keeping this roster stocked with talent.

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Washington49er":1ohgie4b said:
Marvin49":1ohgie4b said:
SantaClaraHawk":1ohgie4b said:
Marvin49":1ohgie4b said:

This^

Did either of you really think that wasn't what I meant? I know Kroenke is Walmart rich. I just have trouble believing there isn't cap shenanigans going on.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
I outlined above how there are not any cap shenanigans going on. 80% of the roster is on rookie or cheap deals, the big extensions for Kupp, Woods and Ramsey don't kick in until next season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Marvin49":3algd7ws said:

The money's coming from where every team's money's coming, revenue. Last year the Kroenke made 401M off of tv, gate and other shared revenue.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193 ... s-in-2010/

That's what the salary cap is, a percentage of total revenue, then they argue over how much the players get of that. 401M is over double what the salary cap is this year (198M).

So no need to worry about NFL owner's having to dip into their own pockets to pay contracts, they're doing just fine.

btw, Kroenke also owns the Nuggets, Rapids, Avalanche and Arsenal in the EPL.......I think he can afford Cooper Kupp's new contract.