Do Not Sell My Personal Information

49ers vs jets

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics. Ex-Seahawks fall into NFL topics. LANGUAGE: PG-13
49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:10 am
  • It is three minutes into the game and Mostert has just run it in for the first td...
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:28 am
  • Hmm...now Bosa slow to get up...the easy games can be mortal to key pieces just saying...

    Break's over and Bosa's carted off...now Solly Thomas is down.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:31 am
  • 49ers are dropping like flies.

    Go Jets.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 10144
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:16 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:33 am
  • Consecutive plays niners lose Nick Bosa, then Soloman Thomas. Wow. After losing Garapolo earlier.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 10144
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:16 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:33 am
  • Jets lost Le'veon already in the first game w/bills...the injury bug is going to hit harder because there was an abbreviated camp and no preseason...
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:52 am
  • Weird how masked coaches are putting the playsheet over their mouths to communicate anymore...

    No one's gonna lip-read when you've got a black mask on...
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:57 am
  • Niners can’t catch a break from injuries. Super Bowl loser curse strikes again.
    They are lucky they are playing the Jets today.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 31622
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:59 am
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:Weird how masked coaches are putting the playsheet over their mouths to communicate anymore...

    No one's gonna lip-read when you've got a black mask on...

    Habit.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 31622
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:08 am
  • Niners will probably win this game handily, but are going to come out of the game hurting bad.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 10144
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:16 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:11 am
  • Way I see it too. They'll probably pull the W but it'll cost them dearly in pieces. It's kind of like what happened with the Cards and us vis a vis injuries given the rate.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:15 am
  • Posted in the game day thread that the Niners can’t catch a break right now and though I don’t want anybody hurt, it helps our team.

    Rams look good on offense though Philadelphia is not that impressive early
    PateratoWilson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 871
    Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 5:55 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:41 am
  • Garrapolo out now too. Did not come out of the locker room after half time.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 10144
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:16 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:44 am
  • And just how bad are the Jets?
    PateratoWilson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 871
    Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 5:55 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:46 am
  • 9ers have got Mullens in there since Jimmyg had quite a limp...

    Yeah I think they win still but yeah i think it costs them. Two men carted off and their qb pulled in the third with whatever lead, atypical
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:49 am
  • PateratoWilson wrote:And just how bad are the Jets?

    Jets are the worst team in football. Just gave up a 50 plus run play on 3rd and 31.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 31622
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:49 am
  • Raheem Mostert is out, too. The 49ers won't lose this game, the Jets are way to comically inept, but this might be the costliest win I've ever seen.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7001
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:07 pm
  • I wonder what the conversation will look like in New Jersey when they realize they lost to third stringers.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2626
    Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 pm
    Location: Federal Way, WA


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:12 pm
  • Threedee wrote:I wonder what the conversation will look like in New Jersey when they realize they lost to third stringers.


    They've already realized it. Team dysfunctional, everyone hates that coach, who also didn't perform.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:15 pm
  • Has anyone panned to the 9ers DC to see how he's dealing with all of this?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 19781
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:34 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Has anyone panned to the 9ers DC to see how he's dealing with all of this?

    Probably, since his defense has only given up 6 points against the junior high team they are playing today.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 31622
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:54 pm
  • Bad injuries today. Hopefully not as bad as my head is thinking. Not exactly a good gauge on how the niners backups can play, since we are playing a crap jets team
    rlkats
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2061
    Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 8:42 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:12 pm
  • The announcers said a few minutes ago "A picture is worth a thousand words" and as he said that they show Frank Gore sitting on the bench and he starts picking his nose. The announcer realising what happened said "Maybe not that picture".
    Msfann
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2052
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:37 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:50 pm


  • and

    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:04 pm
  • I think the G in Jimmy G stands for glass.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7001
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:30 pm
  • Oh wow...



    I hate injuries, esp ACLs. Even if it does hand us an advantage in W8 and 17, still hate 'em.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:45 pm
  • Sites are saying the 49ers fear Bosa has a torn ACL.

    I don't wish injury on anyone but as a Seahawks fan, I'm not losing sleep. As an Ohio State fan (we live in Dayton), I feel bad for the kid.

    I do hope he recovers well. He's an amazing player.

    Had a feeling that AZ was our main division comp anyways.
    Elemas
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 472
    Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:02 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:51 pm
  • Elemas wrote:Sites are saying the 49ers fear Bosa has a torn ACL.

    I don't wish injury on anyone but as a Seahawks fan, I'm not losing sleep. As an Ohio State fan (we live in Dayton), I feel bad for the kid.

    I do hope he recovers well. He's an amazing player.

    Had a feeling that AZ was our main division comp anyways.


    Shan's blaming condition of the turf...
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:29 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    Elemas wrote:Sites are saying the 49ers fear Bosa has a torn ACL.

    I don't wish injury on anyone but as a Seahawks fan, I'm not losing sleep. As an Ohio State fan (we live in Dayton), I feel bad for the kid.

    I do hope he recovers well. He's an amazing player.

    Had a feeling that AZ was our main division comp anyways.


    Shan's blaming condition of the turf...



    That's probably valid.

    I hate injuries. It's not as fun beating teams when their stars are out. Plus they work so hard to get to that level. It's sad. But it creates opportunity for a star to emerge.. Remember Kurt Warner
    Boohman14
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 83
    Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 7:14 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:41 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    Elemas wrote:Sites are saying the 49ers fear Bosa has a torn ACL.

    I don't wish injury on anyone but as a Seahawks fan, I'm not losing sleep. As an Ohio State fan (we live in Dayton), I feel bad for the kid.

    I do hope he recovers well. He's an amazing player.

    Had a feeling that AZ was our main division comp anyways.


    Shan's blaming condition of the turf...


    It’s not just Shanahan.

    I’ve seen tweets postgame from Trent Williams, DJ Jones, and most pointedly Arik Armstread. Appears the field is brand new and described as “spongy” and “sticky”. Wasn’t just the 49ers either. Jets lost several players.

    The worst part? 49ers play the Giants on the exact same field next week.

    Niners are likely done this year. They may be down as many as 7 starters including their two best players, one likely for the year.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7031
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:53 pm
  • I was gonna say Marv, if the other team also had issues it's very likely there's an issue there.

    I looked up the Hawks schedule and we meet Jets 12/13 at C-link. it's my team but hey how is that exactly a fair advantage? Certainly variables matter in ground conditions more to the physical health of players than whether some small number of fans are allowed to come in and yell through their facemasks. Just because Goddell acknowleges that there is poss of competitive advantage even here does not mean he gets to indemnify the general principle of competitive advantage, one of which is that NFL players need to play on safety-equivalent fields adjusted for weather.

    Your guys performed admirably--yes the Jets suck but you are talking about your 2s and 3s against established vets. High ankles take typically 4-6 weeks right, and your schedule is actually something that Mullens should be able to be competitive in if it comes to that.

    Beyond the turf of course is the fact that no one has played a preseason and everyone has had abbreviated camp so therefore you'd expect more injuries leaguewide...and no one can say really what the extent or prevalance of that is prior to maybe week 4.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:02 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:I was gonna say Marv, if the other team also had issues it's very likely there's an issue there.

    I looked up the Hawks schedule and we meet 12/13 at C-link. it's my team but hey how is that exactly a fair advantage? Certainly it matters more to the physical health of players than whether some fans are allowed to come in and yell through their facemasks.

    Your guys performed admirably--yes the Jets suck but you are talking about your 2s and 3s against established vets. High ankles take typically 4-6 weeks right, and your schedule is actually something that Mullens should be able to be competitive in if it comes to that.

    Beyond the turf of course is the fact that no one has played a preseason and everyone has had abbreviated camp so therefore you'd expect more injuries leaguewide...and no one can say really what the extent or prevalance of that is prior to maybe week 4.


    Niners will be competitive, but division is too damn hard to be down that many quality players and compete for the division. Players have already expressed anxiety about playing on that turf again next week. I don’t know what’s gonna happen there. I can’t say for sure if the turf caused the injuries, but pretty clear that they guys who actually played on it think it did. That’s enough for me. Who would know better than them? In the end tho, it doesn’t matter. The guys are hurt now. Complaining won’t undo it.

    I dunno about home field right now. I’m not really concentrating on that. I’m just seeing my team become a MASH Unit.

    Edit: Oh, sorry...I forgot Solomon Thomas and Weston Richburg are listed as starters. Make that NINE starters out.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7031
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:10 pm
  • I understand and there needs to be a conversation about how all these players from both sides got injured here when it's frankly abnormal--you expect a couple guys at best. Not exactly all these guys.

    At the same time, word is that you got one crucial piece that is down for the season and that is Bosa. Very important but even in '19 he didn't carry the whole game for you, the other pieces that participated are all expected to return. Giants and Eagles should be dispatchable even without their return, during or after you are expected other weapons back like Kittle and maybe Sherm in W4.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:26 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:I understand and there needs to be a conversation about how all these players from both sides got injured here when it's frankly abnormal--you expect a couple guys at best. Not exactly all these guys.

    At the same time, word is that you got one crucial piece that is down for the season and that is Bosa. Very important but even in '19 he didn't carry the whole game for you, the other pieces that participated are all expected to return. Giants and Eagles should be dispatchable even without their return, during or after you are expected other weapons back like Kittle and maybe Sherm in W4.


    To be clear the field condition pisses me off, but I’m not putting it all on that. There is no way to know that.

    What has me annoyed is the volume of injuries from top to bottom.

    Bosa likely done for season. Ford has a neck issue and we have no idea there. Solomon Thomas likely done for the season. Jimmy has high ankle sprain and likely out 4-6 weeks. IMO, given their opinion of the conditions, my guess is there is no way they let Kittle play next week. We dunno about Mostert yet.

    ...all of this and they need to play on that same field again.

    I hear ya about just getting through this stretch, but hard to think that way when guys are dropping like flies. It’s like “hey, you get all these guys back and you guys are good” when every successive game just delivers another gut punch.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7031
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:35 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:
    To be clear the field condition pisses me off, but I’m not putting it all on that. There is no way to know that.

    What has me annoyed is the volume of injuries from top to bottom.

    Bosa likely done for season. Ford has a neck issue and we have no idea there. Solomon Thomas likely done for the season. Jimmy has high ankle sprain and likely out 4-6 weeks. IMO, given their opinion of the conditions, my guess is there is no way they let Kittle play next week. We dunno about Mostert yet.

    ...all of this and they need to play on that same field again.

    I hear ya about just getting through this stretch, but hard to think that way when guys are dropping like flies. It’s like “hey, you get all these guys back and you guys are good” when every successive game just delivers another gut punch.


    You guys got rocked HARD here and it's not fair to say it's just injuries that could happen to anyone else on this day alone. Even when we lost functionally the LOB in AZ it wasn't THAT many guys in just one game outside weather...hell when you went through it with Washington Football Team i recall no guys being injured. Y'all went into it with the reasonable expectation that you'd be playing reasonably in reasonable weather and there are injuries to both. If I were Shan I'd def be raising the challenge flag in conversations here.

    Mostert on news was said to have a mild MCL and be back in 3 weeks.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:42 pm
  • We feel for you, Arizona has had field issues and we all know about the Washington Snyder's field.

    We have been hit by both fields, but Arizona's has seemed to take out multiple players a lot.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 33350
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: 49ers vs jets
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:59 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:We feel for you, Arizona has had field issues and we all know about the Washington Snyder's field.

    We have been hit by both fields, but Arizona's has seemed to take out multiple players a lot.

    Pittsburgh’s field is one of the worst too.

    The NFL should be all over this.
    Injuries suck, even when they happen to a rival.

    I want my team to beat the other team with both teams best players playing.

    The NFL needs to get on top of that Turf issue before next week’s game.
    As much money the NFL makes the teams should be playing on the safest/best field surfaces.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 31622
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:17 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:We feel for you, Arizona has had field issues and we all know about the Washington Snyder's field.

    We have been hit by both fields, but Arizona's has seemed to take out multiple players a lot.

    Pittsburgh’s field is one of the worst too.

    The NFL should be all over this.
    Injuries suck, even when they happen to a rival.

    I want my team to beat the other team with both teams best players playing.

    The NFL needs to get on top of that Turf issue before next week’s game.
    As much money the NFL makes the teams should be playing on the safest/best field surfaces.


    I know when they laid our field they did a faux break in of it to simulate a bit of weathering to get rid of the new sticky and feeling, in fact I remember the pellety issue where it was too bouncy and they removed some.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 33350
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:14 am
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:We feel for you, Arizona has had field issues and we all know about the Washington Snyder's field.

    We have been hit by both fields, but Arizona's has seemed to take out multiple players a lot.

    Pittsburgh’s field is one of the worst too.

    The NFL should be all over this.
    Injuries suck, even when they happen to a rival.

    I want my team to beat the other team with both teams best players playing.

    The NFL needs to get on top of that Turf issue before next week’s game.
    As much money the NFL makes the teams should be playing on the safest/best field surfaces.


    I know when they laid our field they did a faux break in of it to simulate a bit of weathering to get rid of the new sticky and feeling, in fact I remember the pellety issue where it was too bouncy and they removed some.


    I don't post here too often, so Niners fan for full disclosure.

    The field may have contributed to injury, but I'm pretty sure at least two injuries shouldn't be attributed to turf.

    Bosa got his leg caught under him in a freak pancake block. Not sure a better surface would have prevented his leg from bending the way it did. I know a lot of Niner fans are screaming "I told you he is injury prone" but this seems one of those injuries that you shake your head at and hope the guy has a wonderful rehab. No amount of strength and flexibility would have prevented this injury. It is one of the worst parts of playing football.

    Garoppolo's injury too I think would not have been prevented by a better surface. A Jet play dove directly into his ankle attempting a sack and it looked extremely bad at first. Likely should have been a penalty if called correctly, but honestly does 15 yards prevent the damage? Nope, just another crappy set of circumstances that is the reality of playing in the NFL. *Sarcasm hat on* Gregg Williams was coordinating the Jets defense, is this that surprising?

    I have no idea what happened to Mostert, so that one could have been turf related. But without being able to see the injury I think it could be a stretch to say it was the turf.

    Solomon Thomas is the only injury that I think could have been related to field conditions. The play looked relatively benign and it seemed is leg just stuck in place as the rest of his body went directions his leg didn't want it to go. Again though, we have seen so many players have non-contact injuries on otherwise great field conditions.

    If I am being completely honest, I don't think field conditions really contributed all that much to the injuries. Rather, I think an abbreviated off-season program coupled with no preseason games will contribute to many more injuries this year. Football at this level is a brutal game. Training camp, OTAs and preseason give more to player conditioning than fans or players want to admit. Sure, players can train on their own. But to truly get the best conditioning most folks likely need to be pushed by someone else, which is what a coaching staff will do. I think we'll see a few more injuries over the next couple weeks to high profile players as players get into game shape. Think of the first four weeks as our preseason and players are still getting acclimated to playing at the pace they need to.
    JoeBart324
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 23
    Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:08 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:35 am
  • JoeBart324 wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:We feel for you, Arizona has had field issues and we all know about the Washington Snyder's field.

    We have been hit by both fields, but Arizona's has seemed to take out multiple players a lot.

    Pittsburgh’s field is one of the worst too.

    The NFL should be all over this.
    Injuries suck, even when they happen to a rival.

    I want my team to beat the other team with both teams best players playing.

    The NFL needs to get on top of that Turf issue before next week’s game.
    As much money the NFL makes the teams should be playing on the safest/best field surfaces.


    I know when they laid our field they did a faux break in of it to simulate a bit of weathering to get rid of the new sticky and feeling, in fact I remember the pellety issue where it was too bouncy and they removed some.


    I don't post here too often, so Niners fan for full disclosure.

    The field may have contributed to injury, but I'm pretty sure at least two injuries shouldn't be attributed to turf.

    Bosa got his leg caught under him in a freak pancake block. Not sure a better surface would have prevented his leg from bending the way it did. I know a lot of Niner fans are screaming "I told you he is injury prone" but this seems one of those injuries that you shake your head at and hope the guy has a wonderful rehab. No amount of strength and flexibility would have prevented this injury. It is one of the worst parts of playing football.

    Garoppolo's injury too I think would not have been prevented by a better surface. A Jet play dove directly into his ankle attempting a sack and it looked extremely bad at first. Likely should have been a penalty if called correctly, but honestly does 15 yards prevent the damage? Nope, just another crappy set of circumstances that is the reality of playing in the NFL. *Sarcasm hat on* Gregg Williams was coordinating the Jets defense, is this that surprising?

    I have no idea what happened to Mostert, so that one could have been turf related. But without being able to see the injury I think it could be a stretch to say it was the turf.

    Solomon Thomas is the only injury that I think could have been related to field conditions. The play looked relatively benign and it seemed is leg just stuck in place as the rest of his body went directions his leg didn't want it to go. Again though, we have seen so many players have non-contact injuries on otherwise great field conditions.

    If I am being completely honest, I don't think field conditions really contributed all that much to the injuries. Rather, I think an abbreviated off-season program coupled with no preseason games will contribute to many more injuries this year. Football at this level is a brutal game. Training camp, OTAs and preseason give more to player conditioning than fans or players want to admit. Sure, players can train on their own. But to truly get the best conditioning most folks likely need to be pushed by someone else, which is what a coaching staff will do. I think we'll see a few more injuries over the next couple weeks to high profile players as players get into game shape. Think of the first four weeks as our preseason and players are still getting acclimated to playing at the pace they need to.


    I'd disagree that the turf is off the hook for both the Bosa and Jimmy G injuries as we don't know what would have happened if the turf gave even a little bit, but in the end it doesn't matter. Its all speculation on our part. The PLAYERS are convinced it had something to do with it and those were the guys who were on the surface. We can sit from our sofas and try to make sense of it but it really doesn't matter. The players think it was an issue and even if they are right and it was a horrific surface, it doesn't put Bosa, Thomas, Coleman, Mostert or Garoppolo back on the field.

    Just sucks bad.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7031
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:04 am
  • Mullens played great in a game vs us (Hawks) a couple years ago, and got the W. Is the dropoff from JimmyG to Mullens really that big? Mullens knows Shanahan's offense very well, and seems to make good decisions. Did any Niner fan, in a few moments of frustration, ever make up a table of pros and cons of Jimmy G relative to Mullens? There was this clairvoyant article below from SI, but it didn't really contrast the strengths and weaknesses of each. My one data point is that Mullens looked like a legit NFL starting QB that game vs the Hawks.
    https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/the-i ... rs-in-2020
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3564
    Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:03 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:05 am
  • Marv,

    Your points are well taken, and if this is just a function of teams not being conditioned due to abbrevated camp and no preseason you'd expect this all over the league.

    If turf is/was an incidental factor and the camp factor doesn't equalize, then it's a matter of team conditioning or the individual health of individual players.

    Regarding oly's post, Mullens was competitive and he did in fact beat us--with none of the present onstars except maybe kittle to do it.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:14 am
  • olyfan63 wrote:Mullens played great in a game vs us (Hawks) a couple years ago, and got the W. Is the dropoff from JimmyG to Mullens really that big? Mullens knows Shanahan's offense very well, and seems to make good decisions. Did any Niner fan, in a few moments of frustration, ever make up a table of pros and cons of Jimmy G relative to Mullens? There was this clairvoyant article below from SI, but it didn't really contrast the strengths and weaknesses of each. My one data point is that Mullens looked like a legit NFL starting QB that game vs the Hawks.
    https://www.si.com/nfl/49ers/news/the-i ... rs-in-2020


    So....I've seen people say this all the time.

    YES, the dropoff is significant. Seahawks fans always think this because Mullens played well against THEM. At the same time, Dante Pettis had his best game ever against the Seahawks, but at this point he's a total bust.

    Mullens is a good backup system QB and is good in Kyles system. He can hold it down for a few games if needed.

    The issue with this comparison isn't that people overestimate Mullens. Its that they underestimate Jimmy. That's OK tho. It is what it is.

    Yes, it was just the Jets, but Jimmy had one of his best halfs of his NFL career yesterday (14-16, 131 yards, 2 TDs, no INTs, and a QB rating of 140) and he did it on one leg while he was getting hit over and over and over, primarily from middle pass rushers right in his face. Almost all of his numbers came AFTER he got hurt.

    Stats don't say everything...but here are some for you...

    Jimmy last year:

    69.1 comp %, 3978 yards, 8.4 YPA, 27 TDs, 13 INTs, 102.0 Rating (and everyone says "is Jimmy holding them back?)

    Mullens as a starter (8 games):

    64.2 comp %, 2277 yards, 8.3 YPA, 13 TDs, 10 INTs, 90.8 Rating (and some say "He should be the starter!")

    So as I said, this isn't an indictment of Mullens. I like him as the backup FAR better than Beathard...but Jimmy is better.

    Also, as bad as people have said Jimmy has played this year...

    67.3 comp %, 390 yards, 8.0 YPA, 4 TDs, 0 INTs, 118.6 rating
    Last edited by Marvin49 on Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7031
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:25 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:We feel for you, Arizona has had field issues and we all know about the Washington Snyder's field.

    We have been hit by both fields, but Arizona's has seemed to take out multiple players a lot.

    Pittsburgh’s field is one of the worst too.

    The NFL should be all over this.
    Injuries suck, even when they happen to a rival.

    I want my team to beat the other team with both teams best players playing.

    The NFL needs to get on top of that Turf issue before next week’s game.
    As much money the NFL makes the teams should be playing on the safest/best field surfaces.


    I really think the league needs to make the field conditions more consistent, like protective equipment. I really like the Clink turf, all should be the same.

    One week you're on natural next you're on artificial that has to be tough getting use to.

    Natural seems to be the widow maker.
    Washington49er
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2239
    Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:54 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:16 pm
  • I mean...you can't make this stuff up. Really starting to believe in the whole Super Bowl loser curse. LOL.

    1) Plane to Easy Coast was in "fender bender" before trip which delayed flight 90 minutes.

    2) Dee Fords "neck" injury has developed into a "back" injury. No word on when or if he returns this year.

    3) Shanahan thought the Jets should have been flagged twice on the play where Jimmy was hurt. One for low hit and another for late hit. The reason the late hit didn't get called? The ref had his mask on and couldn't get to his whistle fast enough to blow the whistle. Not joking.

    4) ...and this one...lol...The 49ers don't have a result on the MRIs for Bosa, Thomas, or Coleman yet because, get this, the truck that houses the MRI broke down. Seriously. The 49ers stayed on the East Coast because they have back to back NY games so can't use regular resources. Unreal.


    I guess at this point its better to laugh than cry. :) Looks lke Jimmy G actually has a chance to play this week, but my guess is they won't put him on that turf again.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7031
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:34 pm
  • Thoughts and condolences
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 19781
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:34 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:37 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:I mean...you can't make this stuff up. Really starting to believe in the whole Super Bowl loser curse. LOL.

    1) Plane to Easy Coast was in "fender bender" before trip which delayed flight 90 minutes.

    2) Dee Fords "neck" injury has developed into a "back" injury. No word on when or if he returns this year.

    3) Shanahan thought the Jets should have been flagged twice on the play where Jimmy was hurt. One for low hit and another for late hit. The reason the late hit didn't get called? The ref had his mask on and couldn't get to his whistle fast enough to blow the whistle. Not joking.

    4) ...and this one...lol...The 49ers don't have a result on the MRIs for Bosa, Thomas, or Coleman yet because, get this, the truck that houses the MRI broke down. Seriously. The 49ers stayed on the East Coast because they have back to back NY games so can't use regular resources. Unreal.


    I guess at this point its better to laugh than cry. :) Looks lke Jimmy G actually has a chance to play this week, but my guess is they won't put him on that turf again.


    Fully suss on so many angles especially as you go down this list.

    They're not even considering playing Bosa or Solly right? if there's no mri machine then send 'em home to Santa Clara where they can get an MRI at Stanford.

    Geez, it's not that hard.
    SantaClaraHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7085
    Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:17 am


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:52 pm
  • SantaClaraHawk wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:I mean...you can't make this stuff up. Really starting to believe in the whole Super Bowl loser curse. LOL.

    1) Plane to Easy Coast was in "fender bender" before trip which delayed flight 90 minutes.

    2) Dee Fords "neck" injury has developed into a "back" injury. No word on when or if he returns this year.

    3) Shanahan thought the Jets should have been flagged twice on the play where Jimmy was hurt. One for low hit and another for late hit. The reason the late hit didn't get called? The ref had his mask on and couldn't get to his whistle fast enough to blow the whistle. Not joking.

    4) ...and this one...lol...The 49ers don't have a result on the MRIs for Bosa, Thomas, or Coleman yet because, get this, the truck that houses the MRI broke down. Seriously. The 49ers stayed on the East Coast because they have back to back NY games so can't use regular resources. Unreal.


    I guess at this point its better to laugh than cry. :) Looks lke Jimmy G actually has a chance to play this week, but my guess is they won't put him on that turf again.


    Fully suss on so many angles especially as you go down this list.

    They're not even considering playing Bosa or Solly right? if there's no mri machine then send 'em home to Santa Clara where they can get an MRI at Stanford.

    Geez, it's not that hard.


    I'm sure they'll end up at Stanford, but I have no idea what protocols are in place for such an event. I don't think it escaped their attention that they can send them back.
    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7031
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:35 pm
  • Confirmed. Big sigh.

    Marvin49
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7031
    Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:34 pm


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:31 pm
  • Marvin49 wrote:I mean...you can't make this stuff up. Really starting to believe in the whole Super Bowl loser curse. LOL.

    1) Plane to Easy Coast was in "fender bender" before trip which delayed flight 90 minutes.

    2) Dee Fords "neck" injury has developed into a "back" injury. No word on when or if he returns this year.

    3) Shanahan thought the Jets should have been flagged twice on the play where Jimmy was hurt. One for low hit and another for late hit. The reason the late hit didn't get called? The ref had his mask on and couldn't get to his whistle fast enough to blow the whistle. Not joking.

    4) ...and this one...lol...The 49ers don't have a result on the MRIs for Bosa, Thomas, or Coleman yet because, get this, the truck that houses the MRI broke down. Seriously. The 49ers stayed on the East Coast because they have back to back NY games so can't use regular resources. Unreal.


    I guess at this point its better to laugh than cry. :) Looks lke Jimmy G actually has a chance to play this week, but my guess is they won't put him on that turf again.

    Heard that on John Claytons local radio show this morning. Have you seen any black cats and ladders around the niners?
    Definitely some weird crap going on with your team.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 31622
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:36 pm
    Location: The pit


Re: 49ers vs jets
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:42 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marvin49 wrote:I mean...you can't make this stuff up. Really starting to believe in the whole Super Bowl loser curse. LOL.

    1) Plane to Easy Coast was in "fender bender" before trip which delayed flight 90 minutes.

    2) Dee Fords "neck" injury has developed into a "back" injury. No word on when or if he returns this year.

    3) Shanahan thought the Jets should have been flagged twice on the play where Jimmy was hurt. One for low hit and another for late hit. The reason the late hit didn't get called? The ref had his mask on and couldn't get to his whistle fast enough to blow the whistle. Not joking.

    4) ...and this one...lol...The 49ers don't have a result on the MRIs for Bosa, Thomas, or Coleman yet because, get this, the truck that houses the MRI broke down. Seriously. The 49ers stayed on the East Coast because they have back to back NY games so can't use regular resources. Unreal.


    I guess at this point its better to laugh than cry. :) Looks lke Jimmy G actually has a chance to play this week, but my guess is they won't put him on that turf again.

    Heard that on John Claytons local radio show this morning. Have you seen any black cats and ladders around the niners?
    Definitely some weird crap going on with your team.


    Been a weird karma around the team for years kinda like the curse of the bambino, just can't figure out what it is. Could be ownership.
    Washington49er
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2239
    Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:54 pm


Next


It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:26 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 76 guests