Does a SuperBowl get an asterisk?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The injuries piling up right now are staggering.

It feels this will be a war of attrition, not the best teams.

Week 2 but the # of players out for the year has to be a record.

No guarantee but SF seems like they went from a favorite to not even a dark horse because some of their key starters are out for the year.

I get ''every year some key player gets injured, it is football deal with it". But this is ripping through whole rosters. The Giants lost their biggest weapon. Denver lost Miller.

These are stars going down at a crazy rate. But even important contributors getting hurt will swing the pendulum.

We lost Ivin. Blair. For the year already...this is Week 2.

What does the injury sheet look like at the end of the year? Are the players finally acclimated in the next few games and the injury rates sharply drop? Because we already have teams almost out of the running that seemed surefire contenders.

We might have 2 teams stagger to finish line that normally would have never made it. It would be a great story but would it really be the 2 best teams?

Marvin49

Reaction score
I was actually thinking about this BEFORE the season and all the Niners injuries.

I'd say no, no asterisk.

Everyone is playing through the same issues. You win it this year, good on you guys for navigating that minefield. Your statement about "the best 2 teams" is actually false as well. It isn't always the best 2 teams anyway. Its ALWAYS a battle of attrition. Just more pronounced right now.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Super Bowl 55 will not have an asterisk if it is played as scheduled on Febuary 7th.

The 2020 NFL season has an asterisk already due to CoVID impacts. The 1982 season and the 1987 season also have asterisks due to players strikes in the middle of the season.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":1jqwco1r said:
I was actually thinking about this BEFORE the season and all the Niners injuries.

I'd say no, no asterisk.

Everyone is playing through the same issues. You win it this year, good on you guys for navigating that minefield. Your statement about "the best 2 teams" is actually false as well. It isn't always the best 2 teams anyway. Its ALWAYS a battle of attrition. Just more pronounced right now.
This.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1c0ziy3f said:

How's this different from any year?

We beat the Patriots going away in SB 49 if the LOB is healthy and Avril doesn't get a concussion. That's football, talent + coaching + playcalling + lucky breaks like schedule and health.

No asterisk.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":rebkyglq said:
TwistedHusky":rebkyglq said:

How's this different from any year?

We beat the Patriots going away in SB 49 if the LOB is healthy and Avril doesn't get a concussion. That's football, talent + coaching + playcalling + lucky breaks like schedule and health.

No asterisk.

No asterisk yet. It will a a question of degree. I don’t have a way to quantify it yet.
If we’re forced to field the Seattle Dragons roster for example.