Cam Newton Covid positive

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots quarterback Cam Newton has tested positive for the coronavirus and is out for Sunday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs, league sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter and Field Yates.

"Late last night, we received notice that a Patriots player tested positive for COVID-19. The player immediately entered self-quarantine," the Patriots said in a statement Saturday. "Several additional players, coaches and staff who have been in close contact with the player received point of care tests this morning and all were negative for COVID-19."

Veteran Brian Hoyer has served as the Patriots' No. 2 quarterback through the first three weeks of the season, and 2019 fourth-round draft choice Jarrett Stidham has been third on the depth chart.

Point of care tests. Like the ones the WH had.

We just saw the weakness of POC tests. I think the Pats should PCR all Cam's contacts before that game.

Washington49er

Reaction score
Not a big Patriots or Newton fan but think this really sucks. As if possible injuries isn't enough. I think we'll see more of this before the season is over.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
According to Field Yates of ESPN.com, the current “expectation” is that the Patriots-Chiefs game won’t be played on Sunday as scheduled.

NFL Media suggests that the game could be played Monday. However, if Sunday doesn’t work, Monday likely doesn’t work either. Given the incubation period, the Patriots need enough time to see whether anyone Newton has been in contact with generates a positive test result. The outbreak donut hole emerges if a player begins shedding virus during the 24-hour window between the collection of consecutive off-site PCR samples, one day apart.

If the game can’t be played tomorrow, it likely can’t be played on Monday or Tuesday. Unlike Steelers-Titans, the schedule provides no simple shuffling of bye weeks and whatnot that would allow the game to be played between Week Five and Week 17.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... on-sunday/

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Believe this means that the whole country gets one game for the Sunday afternoon slot.

Four fifths of it were going to get Chiefs/Patriots with only local areas (I don't know why they include us, we're not anywhere near LV) letting the high alternative of...

LV vs. Bills

Enjoy this game...there's no other game in the slot

https://506sports.com/

SeatownJay

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":1sm9t7i6 said:
Believe this means that the whole country gets one game for the Sunday afternoon slot.

Four fifths of it were going to get Chiefs/Patriots with only local areas (I don't know why they include us, we're not anywhere near LV) letting the high alternative of...

LV vs. Bills

Enjoy this game...there's no other game in the slot

https://506sports.com/
I wonder if they'll consider moving one of the 1pm ET games to the later slot. Shouldn't be that big of an issue with no fans in attendance.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I hope they don't do this because i can see how the sf bay would get bounced from the seahawks game at 10.

it used to happen all the time with Raiders due to local tv pre-emption. And on top of it last year's schedulers would just shove in a rams game over seattle, like anyone in norcal cares about the rams enough to hate them.

Most where I live are not hawk fans. They are fervent anti-hawk fans. Seattle gets more eyeballs in the bay and north because SF fans are conditioned to hate Seattle, do not care about the Rams, and now that the Raidas have gone into the desert, it's like the Sonics with you guys.

hope they leave the schedule as it is.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Chiefs ps quarterback came back positive too per florio. Like the nfl really thinks Monday-Tuesday is plausible here? Mahomes is in the Qb group obviously, they holding him back too?

You want preseason, you got preseason. Sheesh, this is ridiculous.

The Patriots and Chiefs will not be playing at 4:25 p.m. ET on Sunday.

The NFL announced in a statement on Saturday that the game will be postponed to Monday or Tuesday due to “positive COVID-19 tests on both teams.” Patriots quarterback Cam Newton has tested positive and NFL Media reports that Chiefs practice squad quarterback Jordan Ta’amu has as well.

“In consultation with infectious disease experts, both clubs are working closely with the NFL and the NFLPA to evaluate multiple close contacts, perform additional testing and monitor developments. All decisions will be made with the health and safety of players, team and gameday personnel as our primary consideration,” the statement said.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3rddinxe said:
I hope they don't do this because i can see how the sf bay would get bounced from the seahawks game at 10.

it used to happen all the time with Raiders due to local tv pre-emption. And on top of it last year's schedulers would just shove in a rams game over seattle, like anyone in norcal cares about the rams enough to hate them.

Most where I live are not hawk fans. They are fervent anti-hawk fans. Seattle gets more eyeballs in the bay and north because SF fans are conditioned to hate Seattle, do not care about the Rams, and now that the Raidas have gone into the desert, it's like the Sonics with you guys.

hope they leave the schedule as it is.
They did it. Colts-Bears has been moved to the later window.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1312434830127362051[/tweet]

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
So if they change Pats/Chiefs to Tuesday here's what it means for the latter

Tuesday against the Patriots, then Sunday against the Raiders, and then Thursday against the Bills.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
Washington49er":uw54biq5 said:
Not a big Patriots or Newton fan but think this really sucks. As if possible injuries isn't enough. I think we'll see more of this before the season is over.
Wait a second....in another thread you said this would all be gone after the election. Now you think we see more of it.

sutz

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":21vrgvha said:
Seasons done.
Unlike baseball or basketball, you can't play multiple football games a week. If they start to try re-scheduling many games, it's gonna get real squirrely really quick. I suspect we're gonna see a shortened season. :|

Washington49er

Reaction score
Flyingsquad23":11x1c3fu said:
Washington49er":11x1c3fu said:
Wait a second....in another thread you said this would all be gone after the election. Now you think we see more of it.

Election is a month away. I also said it would start to disappear, meaning fade away not be gone Nov. 4th. MI court just overuled Governors emergency declaration, several other states as well. Similar actions are in the courts of other states now. Here in WA for one.

Florida Governor has lifted all restrictions.

hawker84

Reaction score
I'll be suprised if this season does not get canceled or schedules altered in some way inventually. To many cases popping up to stay the course. Truly hope I'm wrong...

D

DomeHawk

hawker84":mxgsdr47 said:
I'll be suprised if this season does not get canceled or schedules altered in some way inventually. To many cases popping up to stay the course. Truly hope I'm wrong...

A truly promising season looks like it is about to go down the tubes.

Damn.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Florio reports that the NFL is down with bubbling players in hotels for the rest of the season, but it's up to the union

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... lpa-agree/

It's in the interest of players to agree. If games are not played, they forfeit game checks. If the season is not played, they forfeit even more.

Then there's the practice of sending teams out to do live games for three weeks in a row on short time when that hasn't happened before, and that could potentially expose more to injuries that could end their season or their career.

I hear a lot of stories of impending fatherhood or having small children. Just one game check from a typical starter can take care of a family for a year. I mean, there are way way worse things than having your employer put you in a Hyatt Regency for three months and feed you and give you all the free wifi, probably a new device, so you can skype and facetime your los all you want. While getting paid and maintaining their family health insurance.

There are worse things. Like not getting paid. Or catching the coronavirus and passing it on.

chris98251

Reaction score
Oh good, now the place where we are going to play lifts all restrictions, does that mean a full stadium as well as all the normal functions people do in public masks and or no masks ok.

If I were the Seahawks I would be barricading the team and in fact petitioning to not play due to safety issues.