OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2nhmxv9o said:
Who?

Go Hawks

I get it, he’s not here anymore. I think this article serves to underscore that John and Pete were probably right in not paying him top dollar and waiting for something better to come along. I just wish they would do it sooner than later.

RCATES

Reaction score
He flashes greatness but then disappears into the shadows. Odd to watch. Titan fans now realizing what Texans/Hawks fans already know.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Thanks for the article. I liked it. It reminds me of another one I read earlier in the offseason. I just can't remember by who.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Cyrus12":hutoq9lm said:
Been invisible so far this year.

Cant get sacks if you cant play a game. Titans continue to have Covid19 troubles. Plans to reopenthe facility is on hold.
They risk forfeiting games if the team cant play.
Sorry Clowney.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Good article. Worth the read. Discusses why, if Clowney is getting all these "QB Pressures" and has a high pass rush win rate, why doesn't he get more sacks? Clowney is way below "league average" in the percent of his "QB Pressures" that turn into sacks. What gives?

The article shares data and videos showing Clowney is not an "Edge Rusher", has no bend, and when he "wins" on pass rush, it is usually on a move to the inside, where he runs into another OL who provides help. Clowney rushes "into" double-teams, he is not "double-teamed" so much by the opponent strategy.

The other interesting thing in the story is that for all Clowney's explosiveness, he was well below average on the bench press, 30th percentile, suggesting that he does not have the upper body strength to disengage from offensive linemen using his hands and arms. Also, Clowney was "below average" in the 3-cone and 20 yard shuttle tests, 41st and 43rd percentile, respectively. So he has explosiveness and straight-line speed, but no bend, and below average lateral agility.

Glad that Pete and John passed on paying Clowney and tying up so much capital. Alton Robinson was a better finisher on that clutch sack he had on Dak Prescott, and let's see how Darrell Taylor looks when we get him back.

godawg

Reaction score
Clowney wanted to be with a winner, but with 23 positive COVID tests on the Titans, they will be lucky to be allowed in the post-season. :cry:

pmedic920

Reaction score
Probably not the popular opinion but I’ll give mine.

Guys like Clowney don’t always get the “stats”, but they always have to be accounted for and many times that takes two people from the other team.

Even JJ Watt doesn’t get the numbers to “justify” his contract IMO but that doesn’t mean he’s not worth it.

Personally, I think any team is lesser w/o Clowney, and I wish we had found a way to keep him.

massari

Reaction score
pmedic920":2muvp9nt said:
Guys like Clowney don’t always get the “stats”, but they always have to be accounted for and many times that takes two people from the other team.
Exactly.

Who needs this bum! Glad he's not on our team anymore!
[tweet]https://twitter.com/byalistaircorp/status/1212818420577603584[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1235205092233621504[/tweet]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cyrus12":3v5g06oc said:
Been invisible so far this year.

He's the same player he was last year, disruptive........and for 10M? We should have signed him, lord knows we need the DE help.

But in Clowney's defense, he still thinks he can get a monster contract, so for the same money he wanted to go back to a 3-4 and Vrabel, who he had success with as his coach in Houston.

Make no mistake, he hasn't been invisible, he's done what he always does, disrupt, and that's a good player to have on your D-line. We saw it last year.

Ozzy

Reaction score
There were times last year where he was easily the best player on the field and on almost every play he was a factor. I'm not sure if he's overrated or not but I would love to have him on our team instead of paying millions for a couple of back up players at other positions.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":2w126kcn said:
There were times last year where he was easily the best player on the field and on almost every play he was a factor. I'm not sure if he's overrated or not but I would love to have him on our team instead of paying millions for a couple of back up players at other positions.

Wasn't Clowney asking for $17M or some audacious figure?

I mean, I think that's pretty rich considering his blowout game was against SF a year ago. Clearly when he was with us, he showed he could not sustain that pace.

907Hawk

Reaction score
Clowney was the Hawks best defensive player last year, busted his ass in the trenches and played through injuries. He is a great player, period.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Pmedic, Massari

You should read the article. It talks about the items you bring up and why those items are misleading.

Clowney is a freak of an athlete that can be disruptive. He can't get to the quarter back because of his limitations. It is interesting to see why JAG's can easily contain him on the edge.