49ers make cj beathard their no 2 qb

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Do you have a new number two quarterback?

“Yeah, this week [QB] C.J. [Beathard] will be up. Still haven’t decided with all the situations where we address two or three. Most likely we’ll go with two and I’ll go with C.J. this week.”

Was that a tough bit of news to deliver it to QB Nick Mullens? I mean, just a week ago he was the starting quarterback.

“Yeah, it’s always tough to deliver to any of those guys, but I think Nick understands the situation, understands the business. It sounds dreadful and the end of the world probably to a normal person and anyone who cares about Nick, but I try to put it in perspective with Nick. He didn’t have his best game. C.J. has been there before, Jimmy has been there before. Nick just had a rough game and I think he played better than it looked. It’s never as bad as it seems, but that’s kind of the life of a backup. C.J., I thought, did some real good things for us. Played through a number of games injured. Couldn’t go one night versus Oakland and Nick came in and seized his opportunity and C.J. hasn’t gotten a chance since then because of that. It’s kind of, regardless of what goes on in practice, when two guys are capable and they both are pretty close in different ways, it’s kind of tough to earn that spot in practice and really tough if you don’t have preseason games and rarely get in like they did last year. They never really got in. So, Nick understands. C.J. has been through that since that Oakland game and C.J. came in and played well and I know Nick’s happy for C.J. because they’re close and respect each other. Nick’s not going to make too big a deal of it, but next time he ever gets this opportunity, he’ll be ready.”

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/10/10 ... uarterback

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2v5vekcf said:
So does that make Crappollo QB3? :stirthepot:

Nah, even if he throws two ints it'll just be a bad game for him.